Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #41
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

A tea ceremony is something that could be done with style by a reasonably well-trained person. It is not a specialty that needs to be done by a professional(the way orchestrating a giant aristocratic feast would be). Therefore savoire-faire would do.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #42
Fwibos
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Savoir-Faire is that skill. It's easy, it represents "appropriate behavior" (straight from the book), and it will give you a Good reaction (necessary both to fulfill his request, and fitting with wanting to have people react well to us:
I thought of using Savoir-Faire, but there is no "ordinary people" version. And Carousing implies partying. Fast-talk lying. I suppose I would give a +1 or _2 to someone being pleasant, or being in a situation where people meet, or being a "friend of a friend" thus pushing most reaction rolls from neutral to good.
__________________
Just Bought: Succesful Job Search!
Currently Buying off: Fat *Sigh* and Poverty.
Number of signatures inspired: 1
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #43
pawsplay
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
I thought of using Savoir-Faire, but there is no "ordinary people" version.
The default specialty is Savoir-Faire (High Society). Ordinary people with good style and manners emulate the social ideals of their society.

Because of the way tea ceremony is performed, it is not appropriate for Savoir-Faire (Servant) as servants do not serve the tea to their masters.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #44
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
I thought of using Savoir-Faire, but there is no "ordinary people" version.
There is no "ordinary people" version of tea ceremony either. Tea ceremony is an aristocratic ritual.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #45
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
There is no "ordinary people" version of tea ceremony either. Tea ceremony is an aristocratic ritual.
Well in the sense that miserable peasants wouldn't have the inclination. Townsfolk would and it doesn't look to have cost all that much money. I can't remember the sumptuary laws of the olden time forbidding it they way they would have with wearing swords.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #46
pawsplay
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Well in the sense that miserable peasants wouldn't have the inclination. Townsfolk would and it doesn't look to have cost all that much money.
They are still enacting a ritual that is a part of High Society, just as Joe Average might be expected to put on a tax and give a toast at a wedding.

A full ceremony is, or at least can be, expensive, if you go all-out with a special tea costume, spoons, teapot and cups, mat, tea table, mats, etc.

Quote:
I can't remember the sumptuary laws of the olden time forbidding it they way they would have with wearing swords.
Restrictions on sword-wearing did occur, but not throughout Japanese history. Further, they usually only forbade specific weapon-wearing that connoted aristocracy, such as daisho, slung tachi, etc.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #47
Mateus
 
Mateus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Curitiba - PR (Brazil)
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Little thread necromancy. I liked the idea of a Professional Skill: Tea Preparation and in my opinion Meditation would cover Tea Cerimony for someone with he appropriate CF. But I would give a little penality and so transforming it on a Technique of meditation.
__________________
Link for my DF Campaign Game: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/panorica
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #48
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
Little thread necromancy. I liked the idea of a Professional Skill: Tea Preparation and in my opinion Meditation would cover Tea Cerimony for someone with he appropriate CF. But I would give a little penality and so transforming it on a Technique of meditation.
As I was looking this thread over for the first time due to your necromancy I was opposed to the idea of using Savoir Faire the most but none of the other skills would likely teach it either.
So I would just call it a technique with no default for most people but could be used off of several skills with just a little training.
Skills you could apply the technique to would be Professional skill Geisha (though not all Geisha were trained in it), Meditation, Religious Ritual (Shinto maybe others), Diplomacy, and even Savior faire.
All would have a different approach but a little training would let them master the mechanics and be beneficial to those skills when done.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #49
Mateus
 
Mateus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Curitiba - PR (Brazil)
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
As I was looking this thread over for the first time due to your necromancy I was opposed to the idea of using Savoir Faire the most but none of the other skills would likely teach it either.
So I would just call it a technique with no default for most people but could be used off of several skills with just a little training.
Skills you could apply the technique to would be Professional skill Geisha (though not all Geisha were trained in it), Meditation, Religious Ritual (Shinto maybe others), Diplomacy, and even Savior faire.
All would have a different approach but a little training would let them master the mechanics and be beneficial to those skills when done.
Actually I ended up writing a new skill simply called Tea Ceremony [IQ/A] and will use it. It defaluts for a lot of skills as you suggested but none can colver all of it. So if someone if only Savoir-Faire try to emulate Tea Ceremony the only result that he will achieve is to dont offende anyone.
__________________
Link for my DF Campaign Game: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/panorica
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #50
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
Actually I ended up writing a new skill simply called Tea Ceremony [IQ/A] and will use it. It defaluts for a lot of skills as you suggested but none can colver all of it. So if someone if only Savoir-Faire try to emulate Tea Ceremony the only result that he will achieve is to dont offende anyone.
That would work I think for just about anyone :) The idea of a default or technique is more generous then what you implemented so I cant possibly fault it :)
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
art, gurps 4e, japanese, meditation, skills

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.