Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #81
andreww

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

Yup, I just got some other reports that revealed the crossbow bug. The announcement that the crossbow is being reloaded diverts the Initiative Phase, and everything stops working. So no crossbows until the next version, sorry.

I'm looking for that glitchiness but haven't found it yet.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #82
randiv

Just installed Testpilot and the TFT Helper App. Jumped into character creation. Human TFT Wizard, ST8 DX11 IQ13. Selected Scholarly Talent "Alchemy", which is listed as (min IQ 13, cost 2). This generated an error message of "This character's IQ is not high enough for Alchemy." Alchemy does appear on the Talents list, but the Total says "3" (not 2, with no other Talents selected).
randiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #83
andreww

Thanks for checking, this is why I need TFT experts playing with the app.

My copy of ITL, page 43, says Alchemy is IQ 14 cost 3. I've checked in the app and it's the same. Am I missing something? I know the TFT-LE download was just updated on Warehouse23, but I haven't looked at it yet.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #84
Fuhrmanator

I have the latest Android 0.9.2 and several bugs:
  • successful shield rush with spiked shield puts hits and floors opponent when he fails saving roll. however he still gets to attack instead of standing up, making shield rushing pretty useless
  • Fencer talent adds damage to shield rush with spiked shield.
  • There's a typo with the word passed instead of past, but I can't remember where...
  • Dodging doesn't always work with goblins see http://imgur.com/oAIy3Bs

Last edited by Fuhrmanator; 05-26-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:36 AM   #85
andreww

Excellent, thank you.

I can't find a past/passed problem. I'll check the other three tomorrow. I'm hoping the next beta will be the last, so it's taking a while. I've got less than a dozen items left...
Old 05-28-2019, 11:16 PM   #86
andreww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrmanator View Post
I have the latest Android 0.9.2 and several bugs:
  • successful shield rush with spiked shield puts hits and floors opponent when he fails saving roll. however he still gets to attack instead of standing up, making shield rushing pretty useless
  • Fencer talent adds damage to shield rush with spiked shield.
  • There's a typo with the word passed instead of past, but I can't remember where...
  • Dodging doesn't always work with goblins see http://imgur.com/oAIy3Bs
Okay, I have searched the code and played through these situations and...

Dodging adds a die to hit to anyone shooting at you. Defending adds a die to anyone trying to hit you. Not vice versa. If this every goes wrong please send me a log. That will let me see the lead up and the evidence you're seeing.

"Passed"/"past" - can't find it. If you can tell me where I will fix it in fourteen seconds. But when I search for those two words they all look right to me.

Fencer/Shield Rush was a good catch, it's fixed.

As for standing, we may be in a quandary. Page 102 says Standing happens at the end of combat. They must take a turn to stand. But if they haven't done anything else that turn, there's nothing to stop an opponent from taking Option G/P.

Maybe you think the rule should be that you can't stand up in the turn you are knocked down. But I'm coding it as written. If there's an FAQ or forum post where SJ clarifies this please let me know!
Old 05-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #87
andreww

Found the passed/past problem! Fixed!

That's a load off my mind.

Thirteen issues to go. Good number.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #88
andreww

Because the beta version has extra features (cheats) to help with testing, it also has a sundown feature so that beta versions wouldn't survive in the wild. The project was supposed to be finished today, and so the sundown just kicked in and the current version won't run any longer.

I apologize if any inconvenience arose.

There will be a new beta version in the next few days with lots of new stuff, and a July 1 sundown. Watch this space for news.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #89
andreww

Thanks for your patience. I didn’t want to exhaust your goodwill with a dozen beta versions, thus the delay.

TL;DR - New version. Android available now at the usual link. iOS users will get a notification when Apple approves this version. Ugly error messages that will help me zoom in on the problems you find. Avoid posting spoilers. Have fun, and thanks!

Really Long Version with Goodies:

This is a big one. Maybe *the* big one. I have re-written everything that needed re-writing, fixed nearly everything reported so far (thank you!), and added everything I’m going to allow myself to add. Now I need to know it’s solid, so give it a shake!

There are several things in this beta version that will not be in the final. If something goes wrong, particularly in combat, a very ugly error message will pop up. That will let you give me the exact info I need and will avoid the “developer can’t reproduce it” problem. Similarly, there is a “Share Combat Log” button at the top of the screen during fights. That will let you send me that info with a couple of touches. Andrew punctuation scourgeofthegalaxy, google’s mail.

Please take on Yoltac and the Giant Spider in the arena, I need to know their special rules work. Please see how far you can get in the adventure with various characters, and whether you thought it was too hard or too easy. Tell me about spelling errors, game rule errors. Try the sharing buttons, especially if you get a good win.

When you choose play character there are some new features: at the bottom of your character sheet you can switch between a die roller, a piece that tracks injury and fatigue, and a place for notes. The latter two are saved with your character.

There is also a little scroll icon on the right of the character that takes you to the character’s journal. Why shouldn’t device characters have all the perks that paper characters do?

Speaking of table-top augmentation there’s a GM tool that isn’t obvious. If you create several characters you can put them into a group by putting their group name in parenthesis after their name as in “Josiah (brigand)”. When you have one of those characters in front of you in Play Character there will be small arrows that let you instantly flip between characters in that group. For GMs, or anyone playing more than one character at once, this should be really handy for referring to their stats and tracking their hits. Handier than paper?

If you leave the adventure/arena to go elsewhere in the app or leave the app your current state should be preserved and you should get a synopsis when you go back in. If there are any numbers in the synopsis let me know the number. If there are any other issues please let me know that too!

I am also curious to see player maps of the dungeon. Don’t share them online, let people stumble into things the fun way. But if you go through the adventure several times and build up a map I would love to see it, just to see how it compares to the original, which is pretty ugly.

There are a couple extra beta-only features to help you exercise the app. After you choose your character for an adventure, way down at the bottom, there’s a blue button that will take you to a secret room where you can choose which of the random adventure starts you get, and you can take those for which your character is not qualified.

To help you get past the initial fights and deeper into the dungeon there is a healing feature. It’s been there all along, but no one has spotted it yet. Let’s see if anyone can. Post it to the forum and receive the acclaim due you! Then people can test the further reaches of the dungeon (not that it’s that big). I’ll post it next week if no one finds it, but you are a clever bunch.

Teaser: there is also a cheat that lets you take illegal characters into the dungeon. Not all the spells and higher IQ combat skills work, since starting characters can’t use them, but you can take in a higher ST and DX character than usual. I will let that info out a little later.

Android users can download from the usual link. iOS users need to wait for Apple to approve this version, which should take a couple days.

Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #90
Frumious

I'm having font issues on the some of the character sheets on the android version. Do you want a detailed reply here with screenshots and phone info, or should I send them somewhere else?

If you look at Wulf, for example, his weapons overwrite each other in the 'play character' or 'edit character' screens.

Last edited by Frumious; 06-04-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Frumious is offline   Reply With Quote