Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-17-2021, 08:24 PM   #1
JimmyPlenty

Default Car Wars Storage Tips

For all those who got their Double Ace, I have some storage tips and ideas for you!

Watch the Video
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:18 AM   #2
beetle496

Default Re: Car Wars Storage Tips

Very nice video!

I have cards sorted into four thin binders. Dashboards and sleds are in four zip-lock bags. As you prove, all the DA stuff fits in the core box, once you take out the miniatures.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
beetle496

@JimmyPlenty — I also liked your Buyers Guide! Get started for $36!

If they were shipping a little sooner, I would gift a couple of those for Festivus.

Please consider a video demo of play using only polyhedral dice.

Last edited by beetle496; 10-29-2021 at 04:31 AM. Reason: not PRS+grease pencils — dice !
Old 11-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
Magesmiley

Incidentally the colorful large box that everything shipped in (protecting the other boxes) is just about the perfect size for a set of 3-ring binders.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:32 PM   #5
beetle496

I am still sorting my transportation options. The large box appeals to me because the binders can stand upright. The mine tokens are floating out of their pockets, and gravity could take of that. @JimTullis is using pill boxes, but my preference is to keep the DW loads with the DW.

I got one thing worked out well though! I didn’t like options I had with Matchbox car cases. Cars were either bouncing around too much, or they were too hard to see and take out.

It turns out that, after a little bit of cutting, one of my spare Plano boxes is a perfect fit for the two vacuum molded miniature trays. So that is perfect for storage, transportation, and preserving my paint job. Also, only about two-thirds the space of original boxes, and easier to open and close. As a bonus, the lid is translucent, and it gives me a warm fuzzy to glimpse the cars through that. When I open the lid, the cars are nicely displayed, and easy to get in and out.

Last edited by beetle496; 11-12-2021 at 04:27 AM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 11-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #6
JimTullis

Like Beetle, I'm Using a Plano tackle box to store the cars. But I'm not using the trays from the mini boxes. I'll add some foam to keep the painted cars from sliding around.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:00 PM   #7
beetle496

Are there any Plano boxes (or the like) which have the compartments (1) rectangular and (2) close to the correct size?

The one I cut up was working okay (with its square compartments) but I had the cars in diagonally. The internal dividers were removable, so I could make rectangles, but they were really too big like that.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #8
Diehard

I decided to do custom inserts for mine. I was able to fit all the double ace bits, cars, and cars with relative ease. I have space for more cards and if I don't mind the box not closing fully, maybe an inch from full, I can fit the tiles in too.
3 layers of trays
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:11 AM   #9
beetle496

That’s very handsome @Diehard! Are you getting those all into (mostly) just the core box?

Has anyone had a friend build a car from a stack of cards? (After playing a couple starter games.) How much time did they need? Without having the cars sorted into sheets, I would have choice paralysis!

Obviously, Sam and Randy play-tested this. But they (1) would have limited the number of cards offered, and (2) that play-testing is part of why the Player Record Sheets are as nice as they are!

Last edited by beetle496; 11-12-2021 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #10
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

Obviously everyone is different, but Randy and I take roughly 10 minutes to build our cars. I'm on the slower end of that. If that seems quick to you, keep in mind that we've played several hundred games now, so we usually have something in mind before we get to the table.

One of the things we explicitly advise NOT to do is giving new players everything at once. The plethora of choice adds AP by the bucketload. This is how I would roll the game out to new players:

Game 1: record sheets —*small cars
Game 2: record sheets — big cars
Game 3: core cards
Game 4: minis sets, armory, linked, Uncle Al's
Game 5: crew
Game 6: dropped weapons

By game 4, they will have a good understanding of the basics, and they will have the tools to ask specific questions as needed. Turrets are the only new concept, I believe, at this point.

The crew and dropped weapons packs put you back in the classroom, and they are good places to introduce scenarios. Crew is pretty straightforward once you understand the movement method, but even experienced players typically need several games to get comfortable with dropped weapons.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote