Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 05-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default May 15, 2021: Ongoing Shipping Woes

May 15, 2021: Ongoing Shipping Woes

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:10 AM   #2
DarkPumpkin

Default Re: May 15, 2021: Ongoing Shipping Woes

It's interesting to hear the inside story on what it takes to run a business like SJG. I feel that we are in for a major economic transformation and this type of issue is just the tip of the iceberg. Perhaps one day, the products could even be manufactured in the USA once again.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:35 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

My wife builds biogas conversion plants (cow poop into natural gas) and one thing they're finding is that there's actually a shortage of containers.

They usually circulate, but this last year, people have been filling them with manufactured goods and letting them sit as temporary storage.

Things are weird all over. Between crazy shipping fees and doing the international tax wackiness...it's getting real real ugly to reach past the borders of the USA. And you HAVE to if you've got scale and want to do certain products.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
Fufu

Typical for some countries not to have an estimated ship date. Russia is one of those countries. Do not be surprised. This situation of international shipping delays and increased shipping costs to the United States are more common than the typical consumer understands.
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
JLV

At some point, the cost and frustrations of overseas shipping might encourage you to consider buying American instead of Chinese...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
blueFire

This is a wonderful opportunity for people looking to start a new business that produces these kinds of things locally (or at lease in the USA).
blueFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
At some point, the cost and frustrations of overseas shipping might encourage you to consider buying American instead of Chinese...
One imagines if companies producing in America had been competitive, they already would have :)
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #8
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
My wife builds biogas conversion plants (cow poop into natural gas) and one thing they're finding is that there's actually a shortage of containers.

They usually circulate, but this last year, people have been filling them with manufactured goods and letting them sit as temporary storage.
However when they circulate many of those containers do at least one leg of the journey empty which isn't good either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueFire View Post
This is a wonderful opportunity for people looking to start a new business that produces these kinds of things locally (or at lease in the USA).
I suspect that this is a temporary situation and it will sort itself out in year or so.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:04 PM   #9
ColinK

Has anybody tried using AMAZON or other 'print on demand' resources for creating new game books instead of going to more traditional printers first?

Is there any place other than China that makes economic sense for assembling a new boxed game?

Are there any companies ready and able to experiment with robotic assembly of a new product?

Seems as if the only way to avoid the China shipping hazards monster is to create new types of games that don't need box kitting and assembly, and even that only works if there are companies with the tooling and resources to produce those new types of games in the U.S. and Europe.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:49 AM   #10
Fufu

The transparency SJGames has in its Illuminator a smart way to call for crowdsourcing. Therefore, companies do out source some or all of its production to its competitors for various reasons. It is another option worth exploring.
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote