Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #211
MunchkinMan

Default Re: plutonium dragon house rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
That's not a bad house rule, I suppose, although I myself personally hate house rules. One of the gentlemen I play with has often wondered why being ancient would raise a monster's level, but due to my (and other friends') aforementioned aversion to house rulings, nothing was ever done about it.
Well, in fantasy role-playing games, monsters typically have longer lifespans than PC races, and their monstrous nature makes them more and more powerful the older they are. Plus, all the aforementioned experience gained by eating tasty adventurers makes them tougher to kill.

Oh, and did I mention that we're talking about FANTASY ROLE-PLAYING GAMES? It doesn't have to make real-world sense, especially since the game world of the munchkin role player is about the highest of high fantasy.

At any rate, I don't like this house rule at all, especially because it inverts the intended uses of the cards in a way that can be unbalancing.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #212
AMOE

Default Re: plutonium dragon house rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
At any rate, I don't like this house rule at all, especially because it inverts the intended uses of the cards in a way that can be unbalancing.
As well as confusing. If I were to play with your group, who's used to using that house rule, while I'm not, I'd most likely forget it a few turns into the game. When the actual enhancers come up, I'd forget about the fact that they're inverted ones and play them as if they were not (as they were intended) and possibly end up messing myself up, or helping another munchkin which I wanted to hinder instead.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #213
almightyk

Default Re: plutonium dragon House Rules

i was reffering to only the plutonium dragon with age affecting enhancers

and i only do it with my friend
almightyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #214
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: plutonium dragon House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightyk View Post
i was reffering to only the plutonium dragon with age affecting enhancers

and i only do it with my friend
No worries! If your house rule works in your house, more power to you. The whole point of this thread is to share rules, not to criticize them (unless asked to do so). And if people find cool new ways to play in their own houses, so much the better.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:54 AM   #215
Diddlymunchkin

Default I have a rule for the poster

I bought the munchkin poster recently and it didn't cone with a rule for munchkin games. So I figured I'd present an idea for y'all as a house rule that could someday go further. If you own the munchkin poster keep it rolled up while you don't use it. In combat unroll the poster like a scroll, and recite the words "I call upon the spirit of the babe of buttkicking to destroy the*insert full name(including buffs/debuffs) of the monster(s)* in play. Roll a d6 and you get that roll as a one time combat bonus.
My group also suggested two dice, I think ones ok, but you make the call.
Diddlymunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #216
AllyKat

Default Re: Member House Rules

Even without Epic Rules, we find in my home that sometimes players can easily find themselves with a combat bonus of more than 10 thanks to equipment. Early in the game it can be an unfair advantage.

Here is our most common House Hold Rule:

"Boss Battle Rule"

When a Monster appears in combat, any player not involved in Combat may interfere once per Combat by doing one of the following:
  • Place one Treasure card from your hand face-down on the table next to monster, the monster gains a + 7 Combat bonus.
  • Place one Fairy Dust card from your hand face-down on the table next to monster, the players involved in Combat must face the monster without and Combat bonuses from equipment cards (Potions and other 1 shot cards still work.)
Any player who defeats the monster in Combat, adds the face-down Treasure and Fairy Dust cards from the table to their hand. Otherwise, these cards are discarded.

[Mod: Deleted a link to a re-edited Munchkin rules set, because it infringes SJ Games' copyrights to post that online or otherwise distribute it. I wish it were otherwise, but we have to be vigilant about this. We're hoping to have a combined rule set available at some point this year.]

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 06-02-2010 at 12:49 PM.
AllyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #217
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyKat View Post
  • Place one Treasure card from your hand face-down on the table next to monster, the monster gains a + 7 Combat bonus.
I found this part overly exagerated. You can give a +7 bonus to a combat, adding one treasure chosen by you. This is far more powerful than adding a +5 and one random Treasure (that's what most enhancers do). The rule is interesting, but I would add no more than +3....
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #218
AllyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
I found this part overly exagerated. You can give a +7 bonus to a combat, adding one treasure chosen by you. This is far more powerful than adding a +5 and one random Treasure (that's what most enhancers do). The rule is interesting, but I would add no more than +3....
In the final 5 levels in our epic games, we tend to have at least 3 players with a Combat Strength of at least 40. So, +7 tends to be a decent balance.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #219
Viperlocc

Was wondering when you play Munchkin with all of the expansions (2-7) if anyone had the rule of allowing someone to take door cards instead of treasure cards when they defeated a monster? Only asking because we had the problem that when someone was leveling up people got so powerful from drawing 2 kick in the door cards and 90% of the time it had atleast 1 monster so you really didnt have a chance to get cards to stop people from winning because you were always getting loot cards. SO was just wondering if it was already in the rules or maybe tournement rules or something saying you could get door cards instead of treasure cards when you defeated a monster so in turn you could build up a defense to stop them at the end of the game?
Viperlocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #220
AllyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
[Mod: Deleted a link to a re-edited Munchkin rules set, because it infringes SJ Games' copyrights to post that online or otherwise distribute it. I wish it were otherwise, but we have to be vigilant about this. We're hoping to have a combined rule set available at some point this year.]
I kept the copyright information the document for the vary reason (even with my own tweaks in their): it is NOT my document.

So, I have to ask Andrew... will this be for both versions of the rules? Old (non-Color as my friends started calling it) and new?? Personally, I like the rules and the cards pretty much the way they are (and so does my wallet after investing more than a hundred on a twenty dollar game.) I know you guys are all gun-ho with the new 19th Edition... I hope your post means that there will be a combined rule set focused for each version separately.

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice