Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
bearit

Default MMA Techniques and Combinations

Hey, guys. I'm currently building a character that is a MMA master. By GURPS, he has Karate, Judo, Wrestling, Staff, and Knife. All techniques from Martial Arts and beyond are available. I'm trying to spice up combat. I'm bored of beefing up stats on one skill and beating away with it.

I'm looking for awesome techniques, combinations that are effective in GURPS combat that utilize unarmed, staff and knife styles. Everything is open! Grappling, arm locks, throws, takedowns, sweeps, targeting attacks, flanking, neck breaks... I want to make combat as interesting and complex as possible.

Effectiveness would be nice, but I'm looking for flavor more.

Thanks for your help, I look forward to your ideas!

Edit: Sorry for the confusion, i used MMA the wrong way. I meant literally mixing martial arts styles--anything goes. And, the fights the character will see is...everything. I really don't have a preference.

If you need a setting then: TL9, a lot of firearm use, possible decent armor. My character will be extremely quick and will need to close gaps, disarm or disable, and move on to the next guy. Perhaps even using opponents as meat shields. Multiple opponents, no dawdling. Other melee will be in the mix. Think River Tam from Firefly, Assassins Creed, Batman, etc.

Also, ideas for flexibility in combat: what to do if they are more skilled, or stronger, or faster, or heavily armored.

Shared what has worked for you and whats fun!

Last edited by bearit; 02-06-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
bearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
Thunderjoe

Default Re: MMA Techniques and Combinations

A personal favorite of mine is a stamp kick to the knee. Assuming boots, Katate at DX+1, and ST 11+ that is at least 1d+3 damage. Enough to garuntee a crippling injury on opponents with up to 12 HP and it doesn't even require a free hand. Combination Stamp Kick to Knee then Stamp Kick to Head once they fall on the ground can end the fight in one turn without using hands.

An armed chokehold is also a good way to end a fight, if you can get it started then the opponent is going to have a hard time getting out and with a sword the choke does cutting damage to the neck with a small risk of cutting yourself. With a staff you get +5 to ST for the choke contest because of the combination of the technique and the leverage from the long weapon.

If you want to give an interesting image, you could do a combination of Headbutt to Skull + Headbutt to Skull + Headbutt to Skull. Three headbutts in a second!

If you are having trouble with enemies wearing flexable DR like chainmail or Kevlar that is making your punches useless then start grappling. Wrench limb can destroy someone if you have it trained up.

Armed Grapple and Arm Lock are good for grappling people while still holding your staff or knife and in the case of the Arm Lock lets you do cutting damage to the arm.
Thunderjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Toptomcat

What kind of fights is this character expected to see? Fights against single strong foes, many weaker ones? Fights with many allies of similar training? Duels? Fights with many diverse allies? Fights with people who have TL 3 equipment, or TL8? Death matches or sporting bouts? Against civilians, soldiers, criminals, animals?

You say 'MMA master', but the way you bring up Knife and Staff makes me doubt you want suggestions ideal for winning actual MMA matches.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
bearit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjoe View Post
If you want to give an interesting image, you could do a combination of Headbutt to Skull + Headbutt to Skull + Headbutt to Skull. Three headbutts in a second!
I do like the image of that triple headbutt!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
bearit

So...anybody else have any of their fun techniques and combinations they'd like to share?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
mlangsdorf

Here's some interesting combos:

Staff/Sweep + Karate/Stamp Kick (throw in a Karate/Targeted Attack if you have point friendly rules for techniques).

Arm Lock + Telegraphed knife stab to the vital chinks

Karate/Ear Clap + Telegraphed knife stab to the vital chinks

Judo or Karate or Staff/Sweep + Wrestling/Knee Drop (+ telegraphed knife stab to the vital chinks if you know fast-draw or do the sweep with Judo or Karate or + Scissors Hold if you want to take prisoners)

Wrestling/Drop Kick + Wrestling/Scissors Hold

I don't vouch for the combat or character point efficiency of any of these combos, but they're interesting stuff, I think.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
bearit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Here's some interesting combos:

Staff/Sweep + Karate/Stamp Kick (throw in a Karate/Targeted Attack if you have point friendly rules for techniques).

Arm Lock + Telegraphed knife stab to the vital chinks

Karate/Ear Clap + Telegraphed knife stab to the vital chinks

Judo or Karate or Staff/Sweep + Wrestling/Knee Drop (+ telegraphed knife stab to the vital chinks if you know fast-draw or do the sweep with Judo or Karate or + Scissors Hold if you want to take prisoners)

Wrestling/Drop Kick + Wrestling/Scissors Hold

I don't vouch for the combat or character point efficiency of any of these combos, but they're interesting stuff, I think.
Thanks! Character point efficiency isn't an issue. I'm looking forward to trying these out.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #8
Railstar

One of my favourite complicated moves I saw was from an assassin who was suddenly confronted by an armoured swordsman: using a hidden weapon, Fast-Draw, and Targeted Attack (Thrown Knife/Face) done just as the armoured swordsman got within 2 yards.

As the guy rushes in, thrown knife to the face… where he has no armour, with his defence lowered by the hidden weapon (-2 all) and the thrown knife being a small weapon (-1 Parry), and with a fair chance of the impaling damage to the face causing a major wound. Guy rushes in thinking his lightly equipped target was easy prey and instantly falls over with a knife in his face, whereupon she immediately kept stabbing for the face again and again and again while he was stunned…

It was certainly flavourful, and I loved it because it made short work of a heavily armoured guy despite the assassin not bringing the weapons for such a fight.

The other thing she did with a lot of flavour to it was use Brawling/Bite a lot, although it might not fit your fighting style. Though I should mention Brawling/Bite to the hand can be pretty nasty, and while Brawling/Bite to groin has no special rules advantage I would probably say it calls for a fright check!

Other general stuff, these are more techniques than combination:

Staff swing to hand (=fast way to disarm).

Staff Slam to groin (=doubled shock penalties affect their DX check to avoid falling down).

Sacrifice Throw them face down + Step behind them + Karate/Exotic Hand Strike to neck.

Judo/Arm Lock + Brawling/Knee Strike to groin (no location penalties since you grappled your enemy from the front).

Karate/Axe Kick + Karate/Kick (reduce their defence, makes their retreat less reliable).

Karate/Axe Kick + Staff swing works too, if you can find a bonehead willing to go unarmed against you while you're holding a staff.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combinations, martial arts, techniques