Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-08-2023, 03:02 PM   #1
whatheck

Default Reprints?

Hello! I just discovered OGRE and am loving my 6th edition set. So many good games so far with friends and my 7yo.

I'm kind of trying to get a pulse on the products. The out-of-print reinforcements to fill out two teams with Cybertanks and troops seems like the perfect next thing to get and I would snatch it in a second if I could find MSRP.

Does anyone know if this will be printed again?

Battlefields looks cool, and I'll probably spring for that sooner or later. It seems like it adds some variety and complexity, but it's not actually clear to me that it will fill out an NAC force, instead adding new unit types in new unit colors.

I can get by marking tokens with bits of post-it notes as I've been doing. Just saying, I'd spend the money if the product was there. Any other suggestions?

Also, this forum seems pretty inactive. I haven't found a Discord for OGRE or SJGames though. Is there some other livelier community spot online?

Thanks!
whatheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: Reprints?

SJG has an overall Discord channel at:

https://discord.com/channels/688841333716418574

For my money, I'd bypass the OOP Reinforcements and go straight to buying Battlefields. More maps, more counters, and while there are slight color differences, way less noticeable than a post-it note.

Things here are slow, but there are a wealth of old threads going back decades you can sort through here. Keep in mind many of us have been playing for 40+ years, and we need our naps. :)
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:25 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Never say never, but Reinforcements is unlikely to get a reprint.

You are correct in your assessment of the counters in Battlefields; it's more about the maps and some additional counters than it is about balancing out forces in the basic Ogre set. While you would get a lot of extra units that you _could_ use, there are definitely units that are under-represented (HVY tanks and GEVs, for example).

It's still the best purchase for the money to expand what you have, though. Introducing the Green Maps with the new terrain, and the full ruleset will go a lot further than what you'd get in Reinforcements (which still focuses only on the original Ogre map).

A great way to get lots of units quickly is by PnP the free Classic Counter Set. It has all the available units in the 80s-style so you can print on different colors of cardstock (or use a hilighter to color them).

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 01-08-2023 at 05:09 PM. Reason: for completeness
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:13 PM   #4
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatheck View Post
Hello! I just discovered OGRE and am loving my 6th edition set. So many good games so far with friends and my 7yo.

I'm kind of trying to get a pulse on the products. The out-of-print reinforcements to fill out two teams with Cybertanks and troops seems like the perfect next thing to get and I would snatch it in a second if I could find MSRP.

Does anyone know if this will be printed again?

Battlefields looks cool, and I'll probably spring for that sooner or later. It seems like it adds some variety and complexity, but it's not actually clear to me that it will fill out an NAC force, instead adding new unit types in new unit colors.

I can get by marking tokens with bits of post-it notes as I've been doing. Just saying, I'd spend the money if the product was there. Any other suggestions?

Also, this forum seems pretty inactive. I haven't found a Discord for OGRE or SJGames though. Is there some other livelier community spot online?

Thanks!
Yeah Ogre/GEV goes in waves, I think SJG are more focused on Car Wars or what ever current Munchkins game is being printed. It is a shame because I think Ogre/GEV could be much more popular if it had the right team marketing and promoting it, but what the hell do I know?
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:04 PM   #5
jfleisher

I do feel that Ogre is the red-headed stepchild sometimes.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #6
selenite

For a hex grid and combat results table wargame, just being in print marks it as among the chosen few.

I'm unpacking from a move. Some of my old Avalon Hill/SPI games haven't turned up yet. If they're not in some mislabeled box, I expect I'll never play them again.

(Or in the case of Freedom In the Galaxy, look at it while wistfully dreaming of finding another serious gamer after my retirement who might be willing to devote a week to it.)
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:00 AM   #7
prospero

Reinforcements would be a great buy if you can find an inexpensive copy at a local game store or on eBay. Until that happens, if you'd like a wider variety of units, you might consider the very inexpensive Ogre: Nightfall set from yonder website: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG7224

While the original "orange" map that comes with Ogre is great, I feel that the game really comes into its own when playing on more complex maps. So consider getting Battlefields sooner rather than later. The Battlefields rulebook is also the most up-to-date.
prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:03 PM   #8
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post
I do feel that Ogre is the red-headed stepchild sometimes.
Each retro game franchise gets it's turn. Ogre, in it's time, gave way to TFT. Car Wars is building momentum now. It had a stronger KS than TFT but the recent unpleasantness has thrown the pacing of it's launch a little out of whack. Now Wiz War is coming next, but it doesn't look to be the foundation of a franchise.

Ogre will get a shot in the arm between Pocket Box II's featuring of Ogre Reinforcements, and the Minis Set 4 KS.
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:54 PM   #9
Mallen the dark

Another option on ebay is designer edition counter sets. They come without the kickstarter special sheets, but you get all the combine and paneuro forces you could want. Including the counters that where in the reinforcements.

I bought two sets of the counters to go with my 6th edition and reinforcements set.

FYI - you definitely want battlefields. The maps are great. I am saving to get a second one.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:59 PM   #10
Mallen the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Ogre will get a shot in the arm between Pocket Box II's featuring of Ogre Reinforcements, and the Minis Set 4 KS.
Any clue when mini set 4 KS will be? I want to make sure I have enough money for two or three sets at the start because I am a Combine/Nihon player and love the detail in the plastic sets and want to replace both of my metal minis armies.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote