Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
prader

Default Spirit Magic

I really liked the 3rd ed treatment of spirit magic from Voodoo/Spirits/Conspiracy X and have 4e Magic/Thaumatology- but nothing in 4e looks exactly like Spirit Magic. The "Ritual Magic/Path Book" looks the closest but still relies on Mana and the Colleges/spells of the standard GURPS magic, if I'm reading it right. I'm looking to have basically two levels of magic in a campaign- Spirit Magic, not based on Mana, which anybody can learn with the right training- but then risk "Corruption" from Conspiracy X and then some variety of regular Mana based Magic available only to a few select beings (Ancient bloodlines/reincarnated immortals/etc) requiring an unusual background.

Are the Spirit Magic rules from 3e directly portable as is to 4th Ed?
prader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Spirit Magic

Path/Book magic is pretty much the same thing as GURPS Voodoo and GURPS Falkinstein.
It has its won spell list but references the standard spell list as something to draw from for making additional rituals.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
prader

So it's not based on Mana or the Magery advantage?
prader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by prader View Post
So it's not based on Mana or the Magery advantage?
It can use Magery a in different ways, GURPS Thaumatology p. 123 gives four suggestions, but Magery is optional for Path or Book systems:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumatology p 123
Magery might be important to Path/Book magic....The GM decides which of the following optional rules apply.
Mana is likewise an option see p. 126 and 131 but isn't required.

For the Effect Shaping Book Magic in my current campaign Desolation Road, I used Magery as a bonus to effective skill, and I don't have mana levels at all.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prader View Post
The "Ritual Magic/Path Book" looks the closest but still relies on Mana and the Colleges/spells of the standard GURPS magic, if I'm reading it right.
You aren't. It doesn't use the spells or colleges of the GURPS Magic magic system at all.
Quote:
but then risk "Corruption" from Conspiracy X
Thaumatology and Horror both have systems that are applicable here, I've never seen Conspiracy-X so I can't tell you what's the closest.

Quote:
Are the Spirit Magic rules from 3e directly portable as is to 4th Ed?
Effects Shaping Path Magic is that system and almost all (if not all) the rituals from Voodoo were included in Thaumatology.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-02-2012 at 04:22 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Energy Accumulation Path Magic is that system and almost all (if not all) the rituals from Voodoo were included in Thaumatology.
No, Energy Accululation is an emulation of the magic from Castle Falkenstein.

Effect Shaping is a falrly simple update of the generic spirit magic system from Spirits which was an Initiation level free version of the sytem from Voodoo.

There are more rituals in Thaumatology than in either of Spirits or Voodoo with all or almost all previous rituals brought forward with minimal changes.

If the OP doesn't recognise the Path/Book System from Thaumatology as what he's looking for I can only suggest he look at it again.

Specifically, mana level as used in the Magic book is not normally used in Path/Book. Neither are FP.

Also, while the term Magery may be used it is not the same as "regular" Magery except by special option of the GM. Talent with the Path/Book system (if it even exists) is by default a separate advantage from regular Magery.

Really, all this is covered in the book. I can only suggest that you go through the relevant sections of Thaumatllogy a little mroe slowly and thoroughly.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Path/Book magic is pretty much the same thing as GURPS Voodoo and GURPS Falkinstein.
Those two magic systems are not at all the same thing.

I've never used the system in G:CF ut, IIRC, it's all about figuring out hw much energy a spell costs (as you define it) then coming up with enough right energy through various actions to perform it. Spells are not powered by personal FP.

Voodoo is more about figuring all the modifiers for the ritual you wish to perform, which gives your effective level with the ritual. There is no energy cost (personal or otherwise) in this system.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 05-02-2012 at 08:48 AM.
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
Those two magic systems are not at all the same thing.

I've never used the system in G:CF ut, IIRC, it's all about figuring out hw much energy a spell costs (as you define it) then coming up with enough right energy through various actions to perform it. Spells are not powered by personal FP.

Voodoo is more about figuring all the modifiers for the ritual you wish to perform, which gives your effective level with the ritual. There is no energy cost (personal or otherwise) in this system.
Yes, and those two variations are covered by Effect Shaping and Energy Accumulation in Path/Book Magic, respectively.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No, Energy Accululation is an emulation of the magic from Castle Falkenstein.
I'm sorry, got them backwards. I'll fix it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm sorry, got them backwards. I'll fix it.
Not a problem. It's just another one of those things that's second nature to me from being around here so stupid long. G:Castle Falkenstein was actually my first playtest credit.

Tags
conspiracy x, magic, path/book magic, spirit magic, spirits