Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
kotya

Default Goldfish feature

Hi,

In one of the russian editions, the Goldfish card text tells something like this: "If you kill it, you may either go up for a level or take a hit. Take a move token". But in other edition, the text is: "If you kill it, you may either go up for a level or take a hit. Take a health token".

1. What is correct?
2. Do you just choose whether you gain a level or token? Or you first choose level or token, and then take an additional token (strictly following the card text)?

The official answer would be very appreciated, thanks!
kotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Goldfish feature

You are supposed to choose between gaining a level or healing one hit.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Clipper

Yeah, the English text doesn't say that the second option is to "take a hit", it's to gain the extra Health, with the second sentence repeating that fact. It definitely is the Russian card which is at fault, not only because the English card is the official version of the game, but also as it appears the first sentence doesn't match the second.

Brf, you are incorrect. You permanently gain an extra Health token if you swallow the Goldfish. It's more than just healing one damage.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
kotya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Yeah, the English text doesn't say that the second option is to "take a hit", it's to gain the extra Health
by "take a hit", i meant "take the Health token".

Quote:
It definitely is the Russian card which is at fault
I was sure of it; the question is what text is correct. thank you for the answer.

Quote:
the first sentence doesn't match the second.
it shouldn't; it depends on the original intent of the game designers. this text might mean "if you kill it, you may either do ActionA or do ActionB. (Then) do ActionC". that's why i'm asking of the official answer.
kotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotya View Post
by "take a hit", i meant "take the Health token".
Ah, that explains a lot. In English, 'taking a hit' means that you have actually just been hit and you are dealt damage, so it was confusing.

Quote:
it shouldn't; it depends on the original intent of the game designers. this text might mean "if you kill it, you may either do ActionA or do ActionB. (Then) do ActionC". that's why i'm asking of the official answer.
I see. Yes, I suppose that would be the only way to interpret the Russian version as it is written, but rest assured that it is definitely the incorrect one.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
TheDS

I would have used "Gain a Health token" because I think that's a little less ambiguous that it means you can choose to increase your total Health.

Visit (and LIKE) the new More in Sanity page at:
www.facebook.com/moreinsanity
TheDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goldfish