Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
LordOfDorkness

Default [Pyramid 313 Thaumatology] Additional Archetypes

Currently I am working on a urban fantasy campaign based around fairy tales (I blame the TV-series Once Upon A Time and the Landover book series). In this setting, the players will posses some of the Archetypes as mentioned in Pyramid 3 13, Thaumatology. But this article also mentions several additional possible Archetypes. I have taken the liberty to make some of my own, and present to you the Archetypes of the Beast, the Clever Animal and the Oracle.

Archetype of the Beast
Revenge? You? I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG! My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears! The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!– Smaug, the Hobbit
The Beast often appears as a wolf, but he can be other creatures too, like for instance, a dragon. He is a cunning and dangerous foe, despite his animal-nature. He is often portrayed as savage, cunning, endlessly rapacious and irredeemably evil. The Beast does not have to be as villainous as he is portrayed, but even when the Beast is good, he is by no means nice.
Often he is a loner with his own goals and reasons, which often results in the Beast Being the antagonist of the story, but where the Dark Sorcerer often relies on magic and minions to do the work for him, the Beast gets up close and personal, often relying on clever ruses to best the heroes. However, sometimes the Beast is a force of good, a noble and proud protector. Independent of his nature, the Beast will always be a dangerous melee opponent, often relying on dirty tricks and his superior strength to win the fight. His tactics are brutal, but he does not want to be caught in a fair fight.
The rituals of the Archetype of the Beast relate to improving his own prowess, misguiding and intimidating his opponents and influencing the environment around him.

Smell the Weak Soul
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Beast-6; 1 hour.
Energy Accumulating: 12 points

The Beast knows the nature of its prey and its pack. The caster makes a roll against the ritual skill, opposed by the target’s Will plus any bonus for magic resistance the target has. If the ritual succeeds with a higher margin of success than the target’s Will roll, the caster can sense what the target’s greatest fear is and what his greatest strength is. Usually this information is cryptic, but it will be correct if the ritual succeeds.

Predator’s Blessing
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Beast-2; 1dx10 minutes; grants a base +2 to hunting skills, and another +1 per 2 fullpoints in margin of success.
Energy Accumulating: 9 points for a base +2 to skill, +2 per additional +1 to skill. +1 per additional +1 to skill when hunting an innocent humanoid with the intent to kill.

The ritual functions as Hunter’s Blessing (Thaumatology p. 156). This version of the ritual can only be cast to hunt a specific named creature, usually a humanoid, instead of a species of animal. The caster must be part of the ritual.

Ghost Shirt
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Beast-7; 1 hour.

This ritual only works on the caster. See Thaumatology, p158.

Weatherworking
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Beast-4; 1 hour.
Energy Accumulating: 8 points.

Dreadful weather is often the herald of the Beast. See Thaumatology, p.156. This version can only summon storms which are appropriate for the climate appropriate for the Beast, centered on the Beast itself. A Beast based upon a Big Bad Wolf will summon a thunderstorm, while a Yeti would summon a blizzard to chill the heroes’ bones.

Warrior’s Blessing
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Beast-4; 1 hour.
Energy Accumulating: 11 points.

See Thaumatology, p. 150. This version can only affect the caster.

Tirelessness
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Beast -2; 30 minutes; gives +1 to endurance roll every full 2 points in margin of success (minimum +2).
Energy Accumulating: 9 points, +2 per +1 granted to endurance rolls.

See Thaumatology, p. 150. This version of the ritual can only affect the caster.

Succor
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Beast-4; 30 minutes; effect lasts for days equal to margin of success (minimum 1 day).
Energy Accumulating: 8 points, +1 per day for which the effects continue.

See Thaumatology, p. 150. This version of the ritual can only affect the caster.

Creeping Dread
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Beast-2; 10 minutes; Gives an additional -1 to fright checks per full 2 points in margin of success. -2 to fright checks per full 2 margin of success when cast on the dwellings of the caster instead.
Energy Accumulating: 4 points, +1 per additional -1 to fright checks. +1 per additional -2 to fright checks when cast on the dwellings of the caster instead.

The Beast desecrates an area, causing shadows to loom, doors to creak and lights to dim. The caster needs to be present within the target area during the entire casting of the ritual. The target area has to have a clearly defined boundary, like a single room or an area of the forest closed off by a ritual circle. For the duration of the ritual, fright checks within the area of the ritual receive a -2 penalty, plus additional penalties created during the casting of the ritual. When a target passes a fright check the spell is ended. The caster of the ritual is always immune to Creeping Dread.
LordOfDorkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
LordOfDorkness

Default Re: [Pyramid 313 Thaumatology] Additional Archetypes

Archetype of the Clever Animal
Don't you worry, Finn. I'll get you out of there. I've got a perfect plan!
I'm not running away, Finn! This is just part of my plan!
–Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

The Clever Animal is an animal blessed with an intelligence smarter than your average furry companion. Often he is portrayed as a cat, dog or a ferret, but horses and birds are not uncommon. He is cunning and clever, rarely violent and very skilled at staying out of harm’s way. His skills are particularly useful when he has to aid his companions in escaping the villain’s clutches, for instance by stealing the key to the heroes’ jail cell or hitting the off-switch on the villains’ doomsday machine.
He is a loyal friend and companion, often willing to stand up for his friends no matter the odds. The Clever Animal relies on his wit in combat and is often underestimated by his opponents, but if his friends are threatened, he can be a dangerous opponent to be reckoned with. In the stories, he is the moral voice of the group, dragging the heroes’ through their darkest hour with his support. He doesn’t see himself as a hero, but that is exactly what makes him a hero.
The Rituals of the Archetype of the Clever Animal aid him in deceiving his foes, avoiding capture and help him execute cunning plans.

Liar’s Charm
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Clever Animal -4; 1 hour; grants -1 to opponents’ rolls, plus a further -1 per full 3 points in margin of success.
Energy Accumulating: 3 points per -1 to opponents’ rolls.

The Clever Animal can get away with the unlikeliest of lies. See Thaumatology, p .141.

Speak with Beasts
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Clever Animal -3; 10 minutes.
Energy Accumulating: 5 points.

When using Effect Shaping this spell can be cast at no penalty when dealing with animals which are similar to the caster. When using Energy Accumulating, it can be cast for 2 points when dealing with animals similar to the caster instead of the normal cost. See Thaumatology, p. 156.

Locate
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Clever Animal -4; 10 minutes.
Energy Accumulating: 7 points.

The Clever Animal is always able to find his companions, or an item that is needed to solve a mystery. This version of the ritual can normally only find non-magical items, except if the item has been seen by the caster within the past hour before he initiates casting. The caster will know instinctively where an item or person is located. The ritual can only find persons or objects within a day’s travel. See Thaumatology, p. 151.

Gentle Beast
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Clever Animal -4; 10 minutes, gives a reaction bonus equal to margin of success (minimum 1).
Energy Accumulating: 3 points, +1 per point of reaction bonus.

The Clever Animal knows how to soothe even the wildest of beasts. See Thaumatology, p. 156.

Charm Against Dark Beasts
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Clever Animal-4; 1 hour.
Energy Accumulating: 11 points.

See Thaumatology, p. 157. The client of this version of the ritual must be the caster.

Obscurity
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Clever Animal-2; 10 minutes; gives points of skill modifier equal to margin of success (minimum 1).
Energy Accumulating: 5 points, +1 per point of skill modifier.

See Thaumatology, p. 141. This version of the ritual can only disguise a the caster of the ritual or an object, not a place.

Clever plan
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Clever Animal-6; 1 hour.

This ritual grants the caster one use of the Visualization advantage, using his Archetype of the Clever Animal skill instead of IQ. This only works on one specific plan, however, the bonuses can be used by anyone involved in the plan, if it benefits the plan, even if they are not aware of the plan!

The Archetype of the Oracle
"The princess shall indeed grow in grace and beauty, beloved by all who know her. But... before the sun sets on her 16th birthday, she shall prick her finger, on the spindle of a spinning wheel - AND DIE!" – Maleficent, Sleeping Beauty
The Oracle is the one who supplies the heroes with plot hooks and adventures. Often the Oracle is a young female, but there are also wise old sages and grey hags who can serve as the Oracle. Younger Oracles are secluded from the world, while their older counterparts tend to be jaded and cynical. The power to see the future can be a heavy burden, used for both good and evil. But no matter her nature, the Oracle believes that it is her duty to let the world know what the future has in store, even though her prophecies tend to be cryptic and vague.
In stories, the Oracle serves to motivate the heroes, for better or for worse, delivering her message in cryptic rhyme and riddle. Oracles based upon western stories believe that the future can be molded and that a dark fate can be averted if the right action is taken while Oracles based upon eastern stories believe that the future cannot change. Often the Oracle intervenes as little as possible, but some of them take a proactive approach, and actively try to prevent or make sure that the foretold prophecy comes to pass. The Oracle can also be a villain, casting dark curses on beautiful princesses or by aiding the dark magician with her visions.
The rituals of the Oracles are obviously related to predicting the future, but they also her to share her visions, contact allies and assist her allies.

Astral Projection
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle-5; 20 minutes.

The Oracle leaves her body behind, seeking out higher entities. See Thaumatology, p. 159

Aura Reading
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle; 10 minutes.
Energy Accumulating: 2 points.

The Oracle knows those around her. See Thaumatology,p. 151.

Chaperone
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle -3; 1 hour.
Energy Accumulating: 8 points

See Thaumatology, p. 152. The client of this version of the ritual cannot be the caster.

Dreamwalk
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle; 1 hour.
Energy Accumulating: 5 points.

The Oracle walks the dreams of herself and others, grasping the hidden meaning behind them. See Thaumatology, p. 142.

Inexorable Breeze
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle-1; 10 minutes; gives levels of effectiveness equal to margin of success (minimum 1).
Energy Accumulating: 11 points, +1 per level of effectiveness.

Mysterious winds move around the Oracle. This version of the ritual can only be centered on the oracle.

Night Terrors
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle-5; 1 hour.
Energy Accumulating: 10 points.

This version of the ritual can only give the target visions of the future as seen by the Oracle. The Oracle can cast this ritual on herself for free. See Thaumatology, p. 142.

Predict Weather
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle; 10 minutes.
Energy Accumulating: 2 points.

The Oracle knows simple things such as the weather. See Thaumatology, p. 156.

Scry
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle - 6; 10 minutes.

The Oracle knows not only the future, but also the present. See Thaumatology, p. 152.

Vision of Luck
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle-4; 10 minutes.
Energy Accumulating: 6 points.

The client of this version of the ritual cannot be an Oracle. The future of those who actually know the future is too uncertain. See Thaumatology, p. 152.

Predictions of the Future
Effect Shaping: Archetype of the Oracle-6; 1 hour.

The Oracle can receive visions of the future. When the Oracle cast this ritual, she slips in a deep trance, which cannot be interrupted or the ritual fails. At the end of the trance, an effectiveness roll is made. On a success, the Oracle’s player can state one fact about the future, like “The king will die at the hands of his wife.” or “You will meet a tall dark stranger.” The Oracle receives this knowledge through a vision. On a failure, nothing happens, and on a critical failure, the Oracle receives a false vision from the GM.
The effectiveness roll determines the prediction power of the ritual. The prediction power is initially equal to the margin of success on the effectiveness roll. If the prediction has no prediction power left, it dissipates.
If the vision is beneficent to the Oracle, the Oracle’s player can grant a bonus to any roll which makes this event more likely to transpire, even if the Oracle herself is not aware of the roll. Each +1 on the bonus to the roll subtracts one from the prediction power of the vision.
If the vision is detrimental to the Oracle, the Oracle’s player can grant a penalty to any roll that makes the vision more likely to transpire. Each -1 penalty on the roll subtracts one from the prediction power of the vision.
If a prediction is made about a fact to which there is already a prediction, the Oracle receives a penalty equal to the prediction power of the original prediction. If the Oracle succeeds at the prediction, the new prediction overwrites the old prediction.
The GM is allowed to give a penalty on very unlikely predictions like “You will find a cure for cancer.”
Outright impossible predictions like “The sun will turn into a giant kangaroo.” will always fail.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
LordOfDorkness

Forgot to ask my question: Do these seem balanced to you guys? Also, what can I do to increase the power of the Clever Animal compared to the other archetypes without breaking the original archetype and the idea behind it?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
aesir23

I like these quite a bit.

I wouldn't worry about balance too much. The rituals balance themselves by being harder or easier to cast. The clever animal could be made more useful, however, with some rituals to alter his appearance. I'm not sure it fits with the archetype, however.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, path/book magic