Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2023, 12:55 PM   #641
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hungry Singer: "Its not going places that matters... its the Travel itself. The power wielded. The Hunger that comes afterwards. pushing yourself to the limit. Feeling the <fuzzy concept of extreme movement>. That's what I love. I think the others love it to."
"I see. Like driving I guess."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pleasant Caller: "Humans always want to rush."
Big Digger: "We should at least tell the others and let you offer to them. I'll call them now."
Julian feels some sort of strange call.

Gentle Arms: "I say we go."
Big Digger: "Only as a group. We stick together."

<Soft Voice>: "What is it Big Digger?"
Big Digger: "A speaker who has never met any other speakers wants to take us to a new place. The Human says the other humans don't even know if we are intelligent, and offers a new deal where we get a ship we can move around."
<Soft Voice>: "That's very interesting. Let us begin to think about it."
Hm... I've got two readings on this. The first is that SV wants time to consider this, and Julian has little to do but wait. The second (centered around "let you offer to them") is that think has misleading contextual clues around it and SV is waiting for Julian to make his case. Given SV is not opening with a question, I think the first is the more likely. In the first case:

I relay to Royal that the Starpus I have been talking to need time to tell the other Starpus about the offer.

In the second case
I summarize my arguments as to why the Starpus should leave, (i.e. they'll get more than just food, survival and travel, people will know that they are in fact intelligent, etc.)

I relay to Royal that there are more starpus who haven't heard the offer that I need to talk to first.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:07 AM   #642
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Big Digger: "The Human is in a rush. He says we need to decide now."
Soft Voice: "That is not much time to think."
They begin to discuss it.



Does Julian have an influence skill he wants to use?


Royal: "Time is ticking. You need to get them out of there quickly."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 02:15 PM   #643
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Does Julian have an influence skill he wants to use?


Royal: "Time is ticking. You need to get them out of there quickly."
Julian asks them to wrap it up quickly, time is growing short (but obviously more diplomatically than that) He also tries to anticipate any questions they might ask.

Quote:
[160] 23-08-30 22:12:31 CEST

Diplomacy

3d6 <= 12
2 + 4 + 4 = 10 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:53 AM   #644
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Julian quickly explains the stakes, emphasizing the points that seem to have gained traction.



Big Digger: "We have to go. If not for us, for all the other starpus."
Soft Voice: "The rushing makes me uncomfortable... but it does seem to be the best. And it makes sense. Do not rush me again... I will come."


The others seem to agree.



Royal: "We're good to go? Do it!"
Royal: "Get all the starpus away from the east wall. We're going to make a hole. Do they want to take anything? We're running late!"



Julian hears a high whining noise.



Pleasant Caller, in response to the move question: "things worth owning don't move."


Royal: "when I say so, get them through the hole that shows up in the wall. Then run back around and Florence will guide you to the truck. Fast as you can, every second counts."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:45 AM   #645
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Royal: "We're good to go? Do it!"
Royal: "Get all the starpus away from the east wall. We're going to make a hole. Do they want to take anything? We're running late!"
I wonder what East means on a space station... Maybe the cardinal directions map NSEW to inward/outward/spinward/anti-spinward.

I relay the instructions and let them know that a hole is going to be put through the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian hears a high whining noise.
Hm... Must be a drill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pleasant Caller, in response to the move question: "things worth owning don't move."
I'll ask whether because they're intangible or too large later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Royal: "when I say so, get them through the hole that shows up in the wall. Then run back around and Florence will guide you to the truck. Fast as you can, every second counts."
"Wilco!"

Not sure what to roll for telling them what to do but Running would seem to imply for racing to the truck. EDIT: Julian doesn't have running, but due to the way move dominates running, and health dominates fatigue loss, I'm not sure how important the roll is here.
Quote:
[161] 23-09-01 04:11:13 CEST
Running Default (HT-5)
3d6 <= 7
1 + 5 + 2 = 8 ... failure

Last edited by TGLS; 08-31-2023 at 08:11 PM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:14 AM   #646
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

With a loud bang, a hole appears in the aquarium, about 10 feet by 10 feet. The water sloshes around. The Starpus swim through the water, their arms trailing behind them. Nine starpus of various size go through the hole.



Julian rushes around, and is utterly out of breath by the time he gets to the vehicle. Slam starts the truck before he's properly in. There is a rush of water, and Slam fights with the wheel.



Big Digger: "are we supposed to be feeling strong currents?"


Slam takes the vehicle through a maze of passages: there is no outside in a space station.



Royal: "When Slam stops to unload, I want you to get off and stay with the box of starpus. keep them calm. And keep them calm during the driving?"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #647
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian rushes around, and is utterly out of breath by the time he gets to the vehicle. Slam starts the truck before he's properly in. There is a rush of water, and Slam fights with the wheel.

Big Digger: "are we supposed to be feeling strong currents?"
I respond while panting, glad I don't need to catch my breath before I reply... "The water in the truck is sloshing about; it should be more settled after we set it down."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Slam takes the vehicle through a maze of passages: there is no outside in a space station.
I'm honestly a little surprised there's a maze of passages, not just a few roads leading off a "main street".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Royal: "When Slam stops to unload, I want you to get off and stay with the box of starpus. keep them calm. And keep them calm during the driving?"
"Uh-huh." I muster a better response after I catch my breath, "Stay with the box, keep them calm..."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 09:15 AM   #648
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I respond while panting, glad I don't need to catch my breath before I reply... "The water in the truck is sloshing about; it should be more settled after we set it down."
Quote:
"Uh-huh." I muster a better response after I catch my breath, "Stay with the box, keep them calm..."
Pleasant Caller: "Its uncomfortable! When is it going to be over."

Gentle Arms: "See, just brace yourself."

The vehicle nearly tips over.

Slam: "What are they doing back there? feels like they're tipping me over for the <xxx> of it!"

Quote:
I'm honestly a little surprised there's a maze of passages, not just a few roads leading off a "main street".
You're not wrong, and there is a specific reason this is the case...
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 09:26 AM   #649
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pleasant Caller: "Its uncomfortable! When is it going to be over."

Gentle Arms: "See, just brace yourself."

The vehicle nearly tips over.
"Please don't do that; the truck nearly tipped. That would break the tank and hurt me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Slam: "What are they doing back there? feels like they're tipping me over for the <xxx> of it!"
"They don't like the water sloshing. They tried to brace themselves. I asked them to stop that."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:10 AM   #650
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Pleasant Caller: "Then stop trying to tip us over!"


Gentle Arms: "Can you reduce the sloshing?... its really too much."


Slam: "Asked?! So you're saying that's going to happen again?"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.