Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2023, 04:12 AM   #1
Embassy of Time

Default GURPS SCP?

I am still working hard on my Heart Corps setting, but to do so, I got back to reading some SCP stuff. That community has changed a lot, and I hard a hard time getting back into it, but I wondered if anyone here has tried doing a deep SCP campaign in GURPS? It is close to GURPS Black Ops, which I adore, but it seems way more chaotic. Anyone got some stories to tell (sinister narration is allowed)?
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:51 AM   #2
Lancewholelot

Default Re: GURPS SCP?

I've never ran a SCP game, but I had a GURPs 3ed campaign known simply as the "The Weird Game" that predates SCP (much of it even even predates The X-Files). The PCs were all weirdos in individual ways (a Dr. Jykll like biochemist, a time-traveling cyborg who shot JFK, a Private Third Eye...). They started out just running into strange adventures, but I eventually had them recruited into a secret organization known as the Phenomenon Investigation Bureau (Ph.I.B.). If there's any interest, I'll try to recount some of their adventures later.

Last edited by Lancewholelot; 03-25-2023 at 05:59 AM. Reason: typo
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:26 AM   #3
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancewholelot View Post
I've never ran a SCP game, but I had a GURPs 3ed campaign known simply as the "The Weird Game" that predates SCP (much of it even even predates The X-Files). The PCs were all weirdos in individual ways (a Dr. Jykll like biochemist, a time-traveling cyborg who shot JFK, a Private Third Eye...). They started out just running into strange adventures, but I eventually had them recruited into a secret organization known as the Phenomenon Investigation Bureau (Ph.I.B.). If there's any interest, I'll try to recount some of their adventures later.
It is definitely of interest!!
Old 03-26-2023, 10:54 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

https://papermenplasticmonster.blogs...P%20Foundation

Two posts on my blog with SCP content.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:18 AM   #5
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
https://papermenplasticmonster.blogs...P%20Foundation

Two posts on my blog with SCP content.
Whelp, there goes my work productivity!
Old 03-28-2023, 10:28 AM   #6
Filaristil

Never tried it, but I'm big into SCP, and when I got into GURPS about halfway through last year, I was thinking things like, "Hmm. I wonder how you could build Jack Bright, or SCP-096, or SCP-173 in GURPS."

Granted, now that I'm more familiar with the system, I realize that trying to build that stuff with points would be really tough, but still. I think that GURPS would go really well with SCP, seeing as SCP (at least today) is very much a setting where anything can happen. You can have stories that are more down-to-earth, paranormal investigation stuff. Players are members of a MTF, and they need to contain a breach or investigate reports of an anomaly. Use Tactical Shooting, start players off at around 300 points ish. Could be really fun.

On the other hand, you could also do ridiculously high-power games in the SCP setting, if you want the PCs to play senior staff in line with Bright, Clef, Moose, etc. I don't even know what genre books you'd use for that.

While thinking about this, here's something I've wanted to share for a while:

SCP-173
ST 100 | DX 15* | IQ 3 | HT 12
HP 100 | FP N/A | Will 3 | Per 12
DR 50 (Semi-Ablative) | SM +1
Basic Speed 10 | Basic Move 10*
Thrust: 11d | Swing: 13d

Traits:
Injury Tolerance (Homogenous)
Numb
Altered Time Rate 5*
Unkillable 3**

Skills:
Wrestling-25
Stealth-13

*If SCP-173 is within line of sight (B389, modified for Peripheral Vision, 360 degree vision, or Tunnel Vision) of any creature, it loses all levels of ATR, and its DX and Basic Move both drop to 0. It effectively cannot act. However, each creature that can see SCP-173 must roll vs. the lower of Will or HT at the end of its turn to avoid blinking. If the creature failed a fright check last round, subtract its margin of failure from this check. Also add any levels of Nictitating Membrane, and subtract the number of successful checks in a row. (E.G. D-3489 has made 3 successful blink checks in a row. They now make their next blink check at -3.) Characters can announce that they are blinking to all characters within earshot. This gives all characters who hear it +2 to their next blink check. The character can then choose to fail their check, resetting the penalty. SCP-173 only gains its ATR, DX, and Basic Move if either no creatures can see it, or all creatures who could see it fail their blink checks.

**After dying, SCP-173 regenerates in 3d years in a random location on the planet. (Based this off of certain tales that I don't have time to find right now. They're probably in The Wanderer's Library, not the SCP Wiki.)

When it can act, SCP-173 makes grapple attacks on the necks of its victims using its Wrestling skill, generally taking the All-Out-Attack (Determined) maneuver. After grappling, it will then take All-Out-Attack (Strong) maneuvers to snap necks (B404).

Yeah. There's probably some stuff that's missing from that statblock, but it's the best I can do with the time I have right now. Decided not to build it with points, because I feel like that would be too hard, and would take up way too much time.

A campaign where the PCs play as members of a GOI might also be pretty fun. Serpent's Hand or GOC in particular.
Filaristil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:36 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

[QUOTE=Filaristil;2477354

I don't even know what genre books you'd use for that.

[/QUOTE]

With the caveat that I had to google what "SCP" was I'd guess Action might cover it.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:41 AM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filaristil View Post
On the other hand, you could also do ridiculously high-power games in the SCP setting, if you want the PCs to play senior staff in line with Bright, Clef, Moose, etc. I don't even know what genre books you'd use for that.
IOU is basically the same kind of comedy as old school series 1 staff shenanigans.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:49 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filaristil View Post
**After dying, SCP-173 regenerates in 3d years in a random location on the planet. (Based this off of certain tales that I don't have time to find right now. They're probably in The Wanderer's Library, not the SCP Wiki.)
Personally, I'm inclined to not make anomalies indestructible if they aren't specified as such. The Foundation contains things, not destroys them. In a game this presents a challenge, your agent and MTF PCs need to avoid destructive force.

Quote:
A campaign where the PCs play as members of a GOI might also be pretty fun. Serpent's Hand or GOC in particular.
Shark Punching Centre, obviously. Foreward, frogmen, and keep jabbing! :p

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-30-2023 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:26 AM   #10
Filaristil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Shark Punching Center, obviously. Foreward, frogmen, and keep jabbing! :p
How many points in Boxing do you think the average SPC employee has?
By the way there's a Selachian hit location table on P. B553.
Filaristil is offline   Reply With Quote