Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Question about Vampire Victims & Regeneration

In a setting I'm running the vampires have breed, and altered with alchemy, humans to provide a steady food supply.

My question is what would be the modifier "Only for blood loss" be for regeneration?

My first instinct was -80%, but I'm not sure. I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Question about Vampire Victims & Regeneration

No Blood is worth [5]. I believe No Blood (Not Immune to Blood-Borne Toxins) is worth [3]. That implies blood that instantly regenerates might be worth [2] - you're susceptible to both blood-borne toxins and blood chokes and the like, but are immune to bleeding to death. If blood regenerates more slowly than, say, 1 HP per second, you could drop it down to a Perk.

If the character can basically make a living off of bottling his infinite blood and selling it, you could probably work that out as a Job. Having ready access to such might be worth an additional [1].
Old 06-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
Apollonian

You could also tag in a disadvantage: Must be bled on a regular basis [-x] to represent that the blood bag generates more blood than they can actually hold, and thus needs to have the pressure relieved. I've no idea on the pricing, though.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
You could also tag in a disadvantage: Must be bled on a regular basis [-x] to represent that the blood bag generates more blood than they can actually hold, and thus needs to have the pressure relieved. I've no idea on the pricing, though.
I'd base it on Maintenance if it is dangerous enough to make you sick and kill you.

You basically need a person to safely extract the blood from you, either a professional nurse, or a vampire (preferably not the kind that leave a huge wound...).

If you can (and will) remove excess blood yourself without risking infection etc. it wouldn't be more than a quirk though. Maybe halve the value of maintenance if the character would only attempt 'self-maintenance' so in an emergency and there is a notable risk of it going wrong.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
No Blood is worth [5]. I believe No Blood (Not Immune to Blood-Borne Toxins) is worth [3]. That implies blood that instantly regenerates might be worth [2] - you're susceptible to both blood-borne toxins and blood chokes and the like, but are immune to bleeding to death. If blood regenerates more slowly than, say, 1 HP per second, you could drop it down to a Perk.

I wouldn't go that far, but my mind did jump to No Blood as a comparison. -80% on regeneration should be just fine.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but my mind did jump to No Blood as a comparison. -80% on regeneration should be just fine.
Check. No Blood should be the starting place. Instantly regenerating lost blood is functionally equivalent to No Blood, so all you have to do is peg the values of less than instant. I'd make Extreme Regen cost the same as No Blood; VF Regen cost 4 pts (Dude... just spend the extra 1 pt!), so you'd usually recover in seconds; Fast Regen cost 3 pts (recovery time in minutes); Regular Regen cost 2 pts (recovery time in hours); and the Perk level would be equal to Slow Regen, where it would take you some days to recover.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
Kesendeja

Thank you for the input. I think I'll go with the -80% then, as I wanted the speed variable, to denote the degree of tampering.

There are other effects for the characters in the situation that don't directly deal with blood, so it might end up being a minor template, 25Pts or less.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:13 PM   #8
Kesendeja

Here's another one I hope you can help me with. How many hit points will losing a pint of blood cost?
Old 06-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
Here's another one I hope you can help me with. How many hit points will losing a pint of blood cost?
That depends on how much damage is assesssed when the vampire takes a pint of blood and that may depend on things like vampire biology and metaphysics.

In the old days a vamp with The Draining lost 2 HP every day and had to amke that up by stealing 2 hp from donors. The thing is I don't remember official rules about how much blood that took. Just the HP.

Technically you don't need to know how much blood is involved for the Regeneratiion rules. The number of HP involved is enough. An average human with HT 10 needs an average of 4 days (without a doctor's care and possible interventions).

Someone who bought Slow Regen (Blood Only -80%) for 2pts only needs a day.

Your problems come when you try and feed vampires with things like plastic bags full of blood. That's where the biology and/or metapahyscis comes in and theres jsut alot of questions only the GM can answer..
Old 06-15-2021, 04:48 AM   #10
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
Losing 1 pint only feels like a couple of FP lost. On the other hand, an average person has 10 pints and no HT roll will keep them alive without blood, so from that viewpoint getting to -5xHP is 6 HP each. I have no idea if losing 4 pints would realistically trigger a death check.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifiers, regeneration, vampires