Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #181
Rupert

Default Re: GURPS Magic: The Least of Spells

I'm not sure why 'hand mirror until you can afford an enchanted crystal ball for a bonus (if you want that bnonus)' isn't acceptable. If it is a problem, one solution is to require a flawless silvered glass mirror, costing much more than $15, with the standard model giving a -5 or -10.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 07-13-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #182
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
If it is a problem,
Over years of playing and GMing Gurps Magic it actually hasn't been. I've never seen any version of Divination cast. I had one character who took Oneiromancy but that was to help the GM could send plot-o-grams if he wanted.

Like I said, it never happened.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #183
Tymathee

Location: I'd rather be alone than be with people who make me feel alone.

Hmm, in theory, you shouldn't invest more than a single point in divination abilities. Anecdotally, the average GM with a positive bias for the survival of the PCs (this is a common trend in today's PC-centric campaigns popularized by you know what) will be willing to drop the necessary "plot-o-grams" via plot devices and so forth as they please anyways.

Assuming a more harsher GM, they'd enforce the need for paying the full 15 for Oracle instead of divination spells.

But we're veering off topic, so that's that!
"Mom's resentful that she has to work so hard, which obscures her guilt about actually wanting to work so hard. Dad's guilty about being less driven than mom, but thinks it's wrong to feel that way, so he hides behind a smokescreen of cluelessness. Quinn wears superficiality like a suit of armor, because she's afraid of looking inside and finding absolutely nothing. And I'm so defendant that I actively work to make people dislike me so I won't feel bad when they do. Can I go now?" - Daria Morgendorffer
Tymathee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #184
Emerikol

I will agree that it very much depends on how good the GM handles divinations but I think in my campaigns they are worth having but they aren't at all plot manipulators and group rescuers.

In fact, I'd say I'm very strongly in the let the dice fall where they fall camp. Yet, I think I can provide useful responses to divination spells in a fair and even keeled way. I'm not providing the info I want the group to have. I'm providing a fair response based on die rolls.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #185
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I will agree that it very much depends on how good the GM handles divinations but I think in my campaigns they are worth having but they aren't at all plot manipulators and group rescuers.
My concerns weren't about numbers or group survival really. I was thinking about a game back in the day where the whole thing ended because we could not solve a "riddle dungeon" the GM had us in.

That GM might not have given us a clue even if we'd had the right spell to ask for it but I've seen games delayed by riddles and puzzles for more than an entire session since then. Asking the GM "Can I buy a vowel?" is good.

If you wonder the big clue in the riddle dungeon was that all the encounterd monsters had names starting with "G". The DM (it was AD&D 1e)was absolutely sure we were just minutes away from solving it but it's 40 years later and I'm no closer. Of course he was the same DM who had the big clue to the number 13 being that the dungeon had a staircase with 139 steps. 139 is 13 squared, right?

Don't put chokepoints with only one solution (be it physical or logical) in your adventures.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #186
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Don't put chokepoints with only one solution (be it physical or logical) in your adventures.
This is good advice. I don't put a these sorts of things were getting past them is required to move forward. I give rewards for finding and defeating them but if you don't it's not a big deal.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, trivial spells