Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #21
Kfireblade

Default Re: Extreme Regeneration and Costs HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
I have a ruling that HP lost to "cost HP" cannot be recovered by heal/healing spells/regeneration.

But the HP lost to using too many FP can be recovered normally.

The combination seems to work well enough.
Really? Seems like if they where to get healed by someone else it would be fair enough. I mean, if you burn FP you can have it recovered by a mage with lend energy.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I have a ruling that HP lost to "cost HP" cannot be recovered by heal/healing spells/regeneration.

But the HP lost to using too many FP can be recovered normally.

The combination seems to work well enough.
Do you apply a similar ruling to Regeneration (-0% ER Only)? If yes, why, if no, why?
Old 11-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #23
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Really? Seems like if they where to get healed by someone else it would be fair enough. I mean, if you burn FP you can have it recovered by a mage with lend energy.
Being able to be healed by others can cause feedback loops. So a blanket no just makes things clearer.

The basic idea is that cost HP is a serious limitation. I make it clear for players who want to take cost HP as a modifier.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #24
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Do you apply a similar ruling to Regeneration (-0% ER Only)? If yes, why, if no, why?
In my current campaign FP is the limiting resource usually, hiit points are often a problem temporarily, but given the fairly easy access to healing, regeneration and healing elixirs, they are easy to recover.

Thus to keep the limiting, I do not allow Regeneration of ER/FP and things like breath control are heavily nerfed and there is no recover energy spell and so on..

So the actual need for such rule is not needed, as the limit is enforced in other ways.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #25
Anthony

Temporary Disadvantage (-X HP) would be -2% per level. The extra value is presumably because it costs you that every minute and you only get it back daily, so faster healing should be lower disad.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #26
AlexanderHowl

Mana-based magic does change the dynamics between FP and HP (as does the Healing power to a certain degree, which is why I tend to limit the Healing power to Empathic Healing only). When you have only the Path of Healing from Path/Book Ritual Magic and Empathic Healing as a power, PCs tend to be a little more careful about their HP (even with magic and/or powers) and worry less about their FP.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #27
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
In my current campaign FP is the limiting resource usually, hiit points are often a problem temporarily, but given the fairly easy access to healing, regeneration and healing elixirs, they are easy to recover.

Thus to keep the limiting, I do not allow Regeneration of ER/FP and things like breath control are heavily nerfed and there is no recover energy spell and so on..

So the actual need for such rule is not needed, as the limit is enforced in other ways.
Ah, so you're talking in the context of a campaign setup which significantly differs from the default assumptions about the availability of speeding up resource recovery.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #28
weby

Quote:
Ah, so you're talking in the context of a campaign setup which significantly differs from the default assumptions about the availability of speeding up resource recovery.
Fast regaining of (HP,ER,FP) are among the things that break things a lot. So before allowing any such I have to think what limits I want to put on them. The exact limits and methods of course depend on the campaign. But a "Allow everything" simply does not work for such.

The classical ER 20-100, extreme regeneration ER(150) and then buying all powers at high cost FP (10-20 depending on how often you want to use them) and you save a lot of points at high end games.

The same works even better with cost HP if you have high HP as cost HP is not multiplied by your HP/10 but the healing from regeneration is.

In the low end games the issues come up less, but the OP asked about extreme regeneration and in that case there should be an actual disadvantage to a limitation.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #29
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Fast regaining of (HP,ER,FP) are among the things that break things a lot. So before allowing any such I have to think what limits I want to put on them. The exact limits and methods of course depend on the campaign. But a "Allow everything" simply does not work for such.

The classical ER 20-100, extreme regeneration ER(150) and then buying all powers at high cost FP (10-20 depending on how often you want to use them) and you save a lot of points at high end games.

The same works even better with cost HP if you have high HP as cost HP is not multiplied by your HP/10 but the healing from regeneration is.

In the low end games the issues come up less, but the OP asked about extreme regeneration and in that case there should be an actual disadvantage to a limitation.
That's certainly a PoV with a right to exist and with some reasonable support by arguments.
My point is that your concerns look at a grander issue that the specific of Extreme Regeneration. They're about the fairness of pool regeneration in the broader sense.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
That's certainly a PoV with a right to exist and with some reasonable support by arguments.
My point is that your concerns look at a grander issue that the specific of Extreme Regeneration. They're about the fairness of pool regeneration in the broader sense.
I would probably price fatigue regeneration at 10/level, each level gives +1 fatigue per minute (so 6,000 points for extreme). If you want a tireless character, build your abilities to not cost fatigue in the first place.

Tags
costs hp, modifiers, regeneration