Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Kfireblade

Default Extreme Regeneration and Costs HP

Would you guys allow a character who has extreme regeneration to take costs HP as modifiers on advantages? Got a player who wants to but I'm not to sure I'm ok with that. I mean, Its a high point value game so they should be very powerful but this seems like a broken combination to me, especially when he also has ATR. take an advantage for -80% because each use cost 8 hp, use it your first turn, then heal all the damage up your second turn....
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Extreme Regeneration and Costs HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Would you guys allow a character who has extreme regeneration to take costs HP as modifiers on advantages? .. this seems like a broken combination to me, especially when he also has ATR. take an advantage for -80% because each use cost 8 hp, use it your first turn, then heal all the damage up your second turn....
No way, not at -10% per HP. -1% per HP would be more like it.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

I tend to follow PK's (that is, the assistant Line Editor, Jason Levine) house rules on this topic - basic Costs Fatigue/Costs HP are more expensive, on traits that don't normally cost FP/HP, but you divide the cost of the Costs Fatigue/HP limitations by 5 if you can recover the resource you're spending by 1/second or more.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
mr beer

Quote:
Would you guys allow a character who has extreme regeneration to take costs HP as modifiers on advantages? Got a player who wants to but I'm not to sure I'm ok with that. I mean, Its a high point value game so they should be very powerful but this seems like a broken combination to me, especially when he also has ATR. take an advantage for -80% because each use cost 8 hp, use it your first turn, then heal all the damage up your second turn....
No, because 'costs HP but gets more HP' is either an attempt to get something for nothing and/or just silly.

If he wants to regenerate slower, pick a cheaper version of Regenerate. Or just take a less silly modifier.

EDIT

Oops, sorry. I see the modifier is to ATR, not Regen. Yeah I would allow it but with Kelly's limitation.

Last edited by mr beer; 10-31-2017 at 06:08 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
Kfireblade

I mean, his argument is its slowing down his regen if he is taking or taken damage but....I mean, when you factor the ATR in to that argument is nullified to me. It would take a whole lot of incoming damage for that to matter.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
I mean, his argument is its slowing down his regen if he is taking or taken damage but....I mean, when you factor the ATR in to that argument is nullified to me. It would take a whole lot of incoming damage for that to matter.
It does slow down the regeneration, so I think it's worth some limitation. But it's definitely much reduced compared to someone without combat-scale regeneration. That's why I'd suggest the 1/5th value. A -16% limitation for Costs HP 8 on Altered Time Rate sounds fairer to me.

Also, note that if Altered Time Rate is speeding up metabolic functions like healing, it should be speeding up all metabolic functions. Make sure the player realizes that they will be suffering from poison twice as quickly, spending twice as much FP when sprinting, counting as two people when calculating how fast the air in an enclosed space runs out, and so on.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

I generally rule that HP regeneration halts for a minute after using any power with costs HP (same thing for FP regeneration after using any power with costs FP). It serves to keep the munchkins in check and prevents too much abuse. I do allow people to have regeneration with Emergencies Only though, which is much less abusive that spending 1 HP per minute to regenerate 10 HP per second.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
zoncxs

ATR does not increase the amount of HP you regenerate.

Extreme Regen gives you 10/HP a second. Not a turn, not a maneuver, a second. Which means if he has 10HP, ATR 2, and a power that cost 8HP to use, he can use that power on his first maneuver, dropping to 2HP, and his next maneuver he will still be at 2HP, a second has not passed.

In other words make sure they understand that they Regen every second and not every maneuver. I would allow this because of that fact. If you can't kill him in less than a second then he heals, and it won't take much to do it too.

To clarify more.

A second passes once everyone takes a turn.

A turn passes once that person takes all allowed maneuvers.

A maneuver is the action they are taking on that turn, see turn.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #9
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
ATR does not increase the amount of HP you regenerate.

Extreme Regen gives you 10/HP a second. Not a turn, not a maneuver, a second. Which means if he has 10HP, ATR 2, and a power that cost 8HP to use, he can use that power on his first maneuver, dropping to 2HP, and his next maneuver he will still be at 2HP, a second has not passed.

In other words make sure they understand that they Regen every second and not every maneuver. I would allow this because of that fact. If you can't kill him in less than a second then he heals, and it won't take much to do it too.

To clarify more.

A second passes once everyone takes a turn.

A turn passes once that person takes all allowed maneuvers.

A maneuver is the action they are taking on that turn, see turn.
ATR specifically says you experience two seconds for each real second.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
ATR specifically says you experience two seconds for each real second.
Subjective seconds:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set Characters, pg 38
The first level of this advantage lets you experience time twice as fast as a normal – that is, you experience two subjective seconds for each real second that passes.
Bolding is mine.

There is a difference between the definitions of subjective and objective.

Yes he perceives himself as living "twice as fast", but that doesn't necessarily mean he is living twice as fast.

Unless that is your ruling, in which case poisons are worse for him, he ages a bit faster, takes environmental damage each turn, etc. If that's what you want, it does balance out just fine.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costs hp, modifiers, regeneration