Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: The Hunter and Unkillable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
This must be one of those 3>4 changes I didn't notice, will have to review the updated ability. I guess the thing about normal damage first makes sense. This also means that if someone uses healing spells on you, they won't get wasted on healing normal damage that will quickly go away, by healing the normal first it lets the healing spells target the slower bane damage.
The way healing spells/abilities/technology will work is going to be up to the GM. Unless using houserules for targeting specific wounds while healing, I'd probably have any external healing have a proportional effect. If you've got 10 HP of injury and that should take an hour to heal, a 5 HP healing effect should cut healing time in half, not to (by targeting Bane damage) or by (by targeting the normal damage) only a couple minutes. Others might feel Bane is such a low-point modifier that letting characters overcome it by more effectively prioritizing healing abilities is perfectly fine.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:56 AM   #12
Mithlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Regeneration actually scales with HP, just like natural healing, so Fast Regeneration would give you a rate of 366/minute, Very Fast Regeneration would give you a rate of 366/second. With some work, you might be able to figure out fair costs for 1/min and 1/sec for your HP, however.
I might be missing something, but in the main and Powers book I don't see anything indicating Regeneration scales with HP or it would've said something like "regenerates N percentage of HP". It does mention reducing by proportion the recovery time of abilities under Powers, but that's for restoration of abilities like DR (Ablative).

As to "what damage heals first", my books don't give an explicit indication so I would think that the "fast damage" heals first, then the slow damage heals after that. Unless you buy two Regeneration abilities (one for general and a limited one for the slower bane version), and an Alternate Ability would function one at a time and probably also go fast then slow healing unless you've come to an understanding with your GM during character creation.
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:09 AM   #13
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
I might be missing something, but in the main and Powers book I don't see anything indicating Regeneration scales with HP or it would've said something like "regenerates N percentage of HP". It does mention reducing by proportion the recovery time of abilities under Powers, but that's for restoration of abilities like DR (Ablative).
It's not listed under Regeneration because all healing works this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High HP and Healing; basic page 424
The healing rates given for natural recovery, first aid, magical healing spells, the Regeneration advantage, etc. assume someone with human-scale Hit Points; that is, with fewer than 20 HP. Those with more HP heal in proportion to their HP score. Multiply HP healed by 2 at 20-29 HP, by 3 at 30-39 HP, by 4 at 40-49 HP, and so on, with each full 10 HP adding 1 to the multiple.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #14
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Well that's sort of a terrifying new rule. Kind of wish they had mentioned it under regeneration too, since we don't think to recheck every rule for changes. So f you had 1/turn regen and 1000 HP you would heal 100/turn?
Yes.
Quote:
I guess it would make sense, if multiple people were down, for healers to prioritize healing the higher HP victims since they can be brought back to consciousness for cheaper.
Huh? It costs just as much FP to bring someone back from -1XHP to 0 if they have 10 HP or 1,000 HP.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #15
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Well that's sort of a terrifying new rule. Kind of wish they had mentioned it under regeneration too, since we don't think to recheck every rule for changes. So f you had 1/turn regen and 1000 HP you would heal 100/turn?
Yep. It's actually quite a useful rule, as buying twice as much HP doesn't mean you're out of commission for twice as long.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #16
Otaku

Quote:
It isn't truly new rule though, just an expansion of one from Third Edition (Revised). If you are dealing with a lot of 3e books, I encourage getting a copy of GURPS Basic Set Third Edition (either regular or Revised), Compendium I and Compendium II. I didn't play enough D&D to know, but it may be similar (though I suspect less jarring) of a shift. So if you do have all three of those, then check out p.CII152-154. Those are the rules for understanding HT versus HP, which was important because until 4e, it was still common for HT to mean "Health" or "Hit Points" as the two numbers were usually the same... though as Third Edition (before and especially after it became Revised) developed, this was not the case.

Between how common place it was to have a split HT/HP score even before the (then optional) rules for HP being based on ST and not HT, the rules mentioned on these pages were almost constantly in use. Especially for creatures with 20+ HT scores since most of the time something had massive amounts of HP, not massive amounts of HT. On p.CII153-154 it finally gets to the relevant part: creatures with more HP recover lost HP faster.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regeneration, silver, unkillable