Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #141
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Blog: Worlds Beyond Earth

Rank for Free

I've started giving rank and some associated advantages to my players for free. I've really liked the results! Its not for every situation, but these are the reasons why I do it, the times when I do it, and what I gain from it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #142
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Overgrown Secrets: Crypt Spirits

I just finished my first short campaign in a while: Overgrown Secrets. Overgrown secrets had many unique elements, but it was really driven by its central Monsters: the Crypt Spirits. I present them now: what they are, how to stat them up, and how to run them. I hope you enjoy them.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #143
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Overgrown Secrets: Shapeshifters

An installment about the second set of foes in my overgrown secrets game. These filled the role of "The Devil You Know". Despite not draining blood, they felt oddly similar to vampires... I present them to you now.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #144
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Overgrown Secrets: The Anhui

More material from my short campaign, overgrown secrets. The Anhui are monsters, but they are monsters in the players hands rather than in the hands of their enemies. They explain why the player's tribe had power, and offered a choice of short-term power for long term loss.

I explain how they worked, why the players didn't use them, and how they were an essential part of the game anyways.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #145
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Overgrown Secrets: Pyramid Provosts

The last of the big monsters from overgrown secrets. The Provosts feel a bit different from the other dangers, and they played in a much more contained way. Provosts almost feel like Artificial Intelligences, and I could see them as powerful dangers in a variety of fantasy games. They worked out pretty well: a diversion for a couple of sessions, and then the players moved onto the main plot.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #146
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Overgrown Secrets: The Forest People

Here, I describe the culture of the heroes of the adventure: a tribe of jungle warriors who will have to deal with all of the monsters that I've been describing for the setting!

I found the tribe to be a fairly effective narrative device, guiding the players towards actions without locking them into specific orders, and the tribe was an interesting place to run.

I hope this inspires you in your games!

Old 10-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #147
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Overgrown Secrets: Magic

The magic system for overgrown secrets was very lite for the players, and they all chose the same item: an amulet that gave them a bonus against the powerful monsters of the setting. Meanwhile, the system gave the monsters a framework to explain their powers and gave mechanics for interacting with, countering, and predicting powers. I'm pretty happy with the result.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #148
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Robots as Spaceships: Battlesuits Revisited

So in an earlier post (that has become one of my most popular) about how to build walkers and battle-suits, I came up with a scheme that turned out not to scale well, and getting past that has stopped up the Robots and Spaceships series.

But an upcoming game has made me figure out how to stat up power armor properly, and here is the fix!

Yes, this means I'll be putting out a bunch of custom power armor in the near future. I'm happy to have a system for arbitrarily weights of power armor!

Old 12-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #149
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Robots as Spaceships: PaverGuard Battlesuits

I've talked about creating battlesuits before, but in this post, I actually make a set. Paverguard is a TL10 company that makes battlesuits in a variety of sizes, from 50 lbs to 3,000. I've listed the stats of 21 suits in a table. I'm very happy to have these stats. They line up with existing TL10 power suits pretty well.

I hope you find them useful!

Old 01-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #150
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Robots as Spaceships: Small Armor Table

I've been calculating armor systems for miniscule spaceships for a while now, and I've decided I could really use a table to keep my numbers strait. This table of armor for spaceship sizes not found in the book is now at your disposal as well.

I hope you find it useful!

Tags
blog, blogs