Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #261
Emerikol

Default Re: How to Be a GURPS GM: Managing Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Oh, absolutely. I'm an "on the fly" guy myself. I prefer making snap decisions to stopping the game for ten minutes to look up a rule. But am I typical? People buy Kromm's books (I've bought Kromm's books). Presumably they do so because they find the content useful.

(Although I like the idea that people by Kromm's books so as not to hurt his feelings.)
I think, and correct me if I've read you wrong, that you've made a false dichotomy between the value of rules vs having to make an in game ad hoc decision. They are not opposed. I value the rules highly and I read them over and over again a lot. I value that time is spent making them good.

I'm human though and fallible so there are times despite having a GM screen that something might not be at my fingertips. And I prepare heavily. I won't stop the game to look it up. I just use my best judgment. My players know, and I will tell them after the game, that if I wing something it's for the good of the game and I will learn the rule eventually.

And responding to another comment. I agree that players should know their own stuff and have the rule handy. If they do then I will run with it. If over the long run I feel someone is cheating then that is an issue that to me falls outside the game. I'm fine with honest mistakes and it would have to be a pattern of behavior but if they consistently cheat then I really don't want them in my house let alone in my game. I find my players are pretty good overall and if they do err it is an honest mistake and not some grand plot to "win" a game.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #262
Tymathee

Location: I'd rather be alone than be with people who make me feel alone.

Hmm, I think I see what Anders is saying. Say there's a particular topic you know is addressed in the GURPS rules that you'll need for the upcoming session this week, perhaps it has a dedicated supplement just for it. You suspect that the game mechanics and systems within may possibly be more convoluted than necessary. The session is coming up sooner than later and there's just not a whole lot of time in your busy adult schedule to study, practice, and retain the material within. "Roll and shout!" is the motto here.
"Mom's resentful that she has to work so hard, which obscures her guilt about actually wanting to work so hard. Dad's guilty about being less driven than mom, but thinks it's wrong to feel that way, so he hides behind a smokescreen of cluelessness. Quinn wears superficiality like a suit of armor, because she's afraid of looking inside and finding absolutely nothing. And I'm so defendant that I actively work to make people dislike me so I won't feel bad when they do. Can I go now?" - Daria Morgendorffer

Last edited by Tymathee; 07-04-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Tymathee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:32 AM   #263
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
I know this is unconventional logic, but players can aid with crunch processing and pass it along to the GM to approve. There's nothing wrong with collaborating, and if anything it speeds play.
We do this (and have done for decades) a lot. Returning to GMing after a long time, this past weekend I said on more than one occasion to one of the players who had just had his turn, "can you check on..." or "can you work out...". In fact, a lot of the time, the players automatically do that and let the GM know they have some feedback that might help.

Quote:
World building can be influenced by character design choices too
Oh, yes. Large portions of world building can (and I believe should) be influenced in this way.

I don't think I've ever met a good GM who doesn't use the players' design decisions in their world building.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #264
Emerikol

Quote:
Hmm, I think I see what Anders is saying. Say there's a particular topic you know is addressed in the GURPS rules that you'll need for the upcoming session this week, perhaps it has a dedicated supplement just for it. You suspect that the game mechanics and systems within may possibly be more convoluted than necessary. The session is coming up sooner than later and there's just not a whole lot of time in your busy adult schedule to study, practice, and retain the material within. "Roll and shout!" is the motto here.
First two things. Schedule interfering with the game is in many ways just like being at the table. You don’t have time to learn the official rule to a degree you can implement it. Same advice applies. Do your best and make a ruling.

Now long term if I think the rules are not good or are too much trouble to use in a game then I make my own decision and change the rule. A houserule if you will. That is a different matter though than a temporary problem due to available time.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to be a gurps gm, managing expectations