Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
thedot

Default Duplicated Gear Question

Hi all! First off, I'm an infrequent poster to this forum, so please forgive me if this has already been asked (and asked and asked). I'm working on a supers/special ops type character with the Duplication ability. Basically the idea is that he's his own infantry squad. I've got him set up with the Construct and Duplicated Gear enhancements on Duplication.

In the text of Duplicated Gear, it states the the duplicates appear with the Signature Gear the character has on him or her at the time of Duplication. This character is a soldier, and pretty much gets the gear he gets for each mission, rather than having a Utility Belt, or Magic Sword, or other particular Signature Gear. I wanted to have his duplicates appear with just whatever he has on him at the time, but that doesn't seem to fit with the verbage in the text of the Signature Gear advantage.

Here was my thought on the solution to this:

Signature Gear: ($20,000 worth of gear; Cosmic [gear he has on his person, rather than specific items] +50%; Limited [only for the purpose of the Duplication advantage] -10%; 3 CP total)

My thinking was this would allow the Dupes to be created having duplicate copies of whatever gear he was carrying at the time, which would probably change from mission to mission, but the equipment would not count as Signature for any other purpose included in that advantage.

Does that seem to be a reasonable and legal solution? Thanks in advance for your help!
thedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
nerdvana

Default Re: Duplicated Gear Question

p51, +100% enhancement on Duplication...
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
thedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
p51, +100% enhancement on Duplication...
Right, he already has that enhancement on Duplication. However, the enhancement's text specifies that only Signature Gear is duplicated. My take on that is that no other type of item other than what is specifically designated as the character's Signature Gear, and bought with the Signature Gear advantage, would be duplicated.

What I wanted for this character is for the Dupes to have copies of whatever items he has on his person when he duplicates, but for him to not have Signature Gear, per se. My variant build on the Signature Gear advantage in my OP was my attempt to remedy that situation.

I probably wasn't very clear in my OP. I tend to ramble a bit...sorry. Please let me know if I'm misreading the text for the Duplicated Gear enhancement, or if there is errata I'm not aware of which solves my problem for me. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
nerdvana

OH. Yeah, didn't get that. Not sure of your build then...
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedot View Post
Does that seem to be a reasonable and legal solution? Thanks in advance for your help!
I think that's fine, so long as you're not using it to cheat (sell duplicate gear for free money, FREX.)

Personally I think that there ought to be a version of the Duplicate gear enhancement that does what you want, but I'm not sure what that should cost.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedot View Post
Hi all! First off, I'm an infrequent poster to this forum, so please forgive me if this has already been asked (and asked and asked). I'm working on a supers/special ops type character with the Duplication ability. Basically the idea is that he's his own infantry squad. I've got him set up with the Construct and Duplicated Gear enhancements on Duplication.

In the text of Duplicated Gear, it states the the duplicates appear with the Signature Gear the character has on him or her at the time of Duplication. This character is a soldier, and pretty much gets the gear he gets for each mission, rather than having a Utility Belt, or Magic Sword, or other particular Signature Gear. I wanted to have his duplicates appear with just whatever he has on him at the time, but that doesn't seem to fit with the verbage in the text of the Signature Gear advantage.

Here was my thought on the solution to this:

Signature Gear: ($20,000 worth of gear; Cosmic [gear he has on his person, rather than specific items] +50%; Limited [only for the purpose of the Duplication advantage] -10%; 3 CP total)

My thinking was this would allow the Dupes to be created having duplicate copies of whatever gear he was carrying at the time, which would probably change from mission to mission, but the equipment would not count as Signature for any other purpose included in that advantage.

You might be able to do it as a modular abilities too with limitations.

I think I like your way better though.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Langy

Quote:
Limited [only for the purpose of the Duplication advantage] -10%
I'd price that as a -50% limitation, since it pretty much gets rid of all of the 'normal' use of Signature Gear. That makes your modification a +0% modifier in total, which seems fine.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
thedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I think that's fine, so long as you're not using it to cheat (sell duplicate gear for free money, FREX.)

Personally I think that there ought to be a version of the Duplicate gear enhancement that does what you want, but I'm not sure what that should cost.
My thinking is the gear would vanish when the dupes were dismissed. I don't think any character should get a trait (like Wealth, FREX) for free. But I figure that the legal and likely violent ramifications of selling people items that aren't really real, and which vansih into thin air, may counterbalance this. Especially if what you're selling are weapons and the like. Imagine the calls to customer service...:)

For the particular character I have in mind, it would be against his character to cheat people like that. There's plenty wrong with him, but lying & cheating are not bigtime flaws for him. However, as I think of it, any character with Duplication enhanced with the Duplicated Gear enhancement, and one or more CP in plain 'ol Signature Gear could cheat people by selling the duplicated gear. Anybody have any ideas on how to handle that in general?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
Langy

Yeah - have the GM smack the player trying to abuse the system upside the head.

One of the many benefits of playing a game with an actual live human behind the wheel.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
thedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yeah - have the GM smack the player trying to abuse the system upside the head.

One of the many benefits of playing a game with an actual live human behind the wheel.
I like it!!

The Hand of WTF?!: Affliction (Advantage [Common Sense] +100%, Disadvantage [Honesty] +10%, Extended Duration [x10] +40%, Fixed Duration [3 min] +0%, Stunning +10%; Accessibility [only while playing RPG's] -20%, Contact Agent -30%, Melee Attack [Reach C] -30%) 18 CP/level

The GM's best friend...:)