Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

"So, do you want to challenge me for a wish?"

"I roll against my Expert Supernaturalist talent...."
Old 11-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
Ronald

I summoned an octopus demon!

Dravalalom
Greater Demon
Dravalalom appears as an immaculate octopus astride an imposing mule, accompanied by mysterious trumpets.

Dravalalom can
grant a Greater Wish;
create a hotspring or fresh water source;
make an item;
make animals fecund;
make animals barren;
make someone knowledgeable and aware.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #13
Shadekeep

Oh yes, I made sure to include them. ^_^
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
JLV

Man, Shadekeep, you just keep knocking them out of the park with these tools! I can hardly wait to see what you come up with next!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Man, Shadekeep, you just keep knocking them out of the park with these tools! I can hardly wait to see what you come up with next!
Thanks kindly! I do have one more in the works. I suspect it's more likely to be one that has a much more divisive user base, however.

Once I get Shamat out the door I want to mod this one to add TFT stats and other demon types to the mix. And the stats will be somewhat linked to the descriptors, as was suggested.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #16
larsdangly

This is really cool! What are the 'arts' demons teach supposed to mean? The ones I saw don't correspond to talents or spells, so what is supposed to happen when you learn one?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #17
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
This is really cool! What are the 'arts' demons teach supposed to mean? The ones I saw don't correspond to talents or spells, so what is supposed to happen when you learn one?
They are basically Mundane Talents that the player/GM can work out the roleplaying aspects of together. For example, someone who learns astrology could draw up natal charts or cast fortunes, though the GM would decide how accurate they are. Those fortunes might be no different that the broad-stroke scattershot astrology columns one finds in the newspaper, for example. But it could also help a player who wants to become a court wizard to a noble who puts great stock in astrology, too.

I drew most of the arts from the Key of Solomon, which is preoccupied with certain things like prestige and control over one's future, and thus has focus in those directions as to what demons can do for you. I added a few more arts that seemed like they fit into the mold. Basically it works out game-wise as "I wish I had this mundane talent". I personally see it as being a "free" talent, but each GM could interpret as they desire, or ignore that particular demonic aspect entirely.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #18
hcobb

The player trades in 500 XP per skill point to learn the talent (or spell) instantly instead of taking three months per skill point to learn it.

Combine with my tweek to replace +1 attribute point with 500 XPs.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
larsdangly

Astrology is already a 3 pt. Mundane Talent. Others of these 'arts' are sub-categories of existing talents but seem too narrow to qualify as full talents (e.g., Geometry and Mathematics).

Is your thought that you get the Mundane talent in question free of XP costs?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #20
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Astrology is already a 3 pt. Mundane Talent. Others of these 'arts' are sub-categories of existing talents but seem too narrow to qualify as full talents (e.g., Geometry and Mathematics).

Is your thought that you get the Mundane talent in question free of XP costs?
Ach, yes, it is already a talent in TFT. That's one of the ones I got from the Key of Solomon.

And yes, I'm counting the granting of the art as without XP cost, provided as the task the summoner asks of the demon. Perhaps they aren't full-blown talents, but rather a granting of special knowledge or insight within the subject area. I'll likely rephrase it to show that. Not entirely clear how it would play out in the game, unless the players just had a special need for knowledge in one of these areas and calling up a known demon with that skill is an option. Probably won't have much actual game impact, and will just be more for giving the demon a unique "flavour".