Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #1
madhopper50

Default TFT Character

Hopefully I am not remembering incorrectly from 3 decades ago. But I recall a new character race for TFT called an "Overman" or something like that name. It started out with higher ST than an human. Can anybody help me?
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: TFT Character

The Space Gamer #28, May/June 1980
"Overmen Do It Better" by Forrest Johnson.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...amer-number-28

Overmen start as ST10, DX10, IQ10, MA12 and have 10 extra points. They don't get along well with other races, in part to their superiority complex...

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
madhopper50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
The Space Gamer #28, May/June 1980
"Overmen Do It Better" by Forrest Johnson.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...amer-number-28

Overmen start as ST10, DX10, IQ10, MA12 and have 10 extra points. They don't get along well with other races, in part to their superiority complex...
Thanks for the help!
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
David Bofinger

This sounds like it could be inspired by Lawrence Watt-Evans' excellent but obscure The Lords of Dûs series. The Overmen were physically greatly superior to ordinary humans, but bad at cooperating with each other. Humans found their tone of voice aggressive and unpleasant but it didn't reflect their personality, it was just how they talked. Could also just be a translation from Nietzsche. Series is strongly recommended.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
Wayne

From what I understand in the new TFT that’s a maxed out character, although as a different species it might be okay?
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
larsdangly

My expectation is that one of the most common responses to the restrictive new constraints on character stat advancement will be a million house rule variants that let people work around it, either by being some sort of special race or some other sort of exception. Personally, I think the 40 point limit is the smartest thing SJ came up with for the new edition and, assuming talent acquisition remains open ended, it will transform 'high level' play in the game for the better. But, human nature is pretty predictable, so I'm counting on a variety of 'Overman' like suggestions in the coming months.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Skarg

I think the new steeper experience curve is a great idea, along with other things to spend XP on than attributes, so that most people won't even get to 40 points...

Because in my experience, the most tense play is at 35 points and less, and play at 36-38 points still feels quite mortal and human and therefore interesting and compelling and less like you can count on your PCs just overpowering everyone. To me, those are the sweet spots. So if it takes many years of somehow not dying to get to 40 points, I think of that as a very good thing for the resulting play quality.

But of course, many people like being extremely powerful, and they can and will no doubt go ahead and use high-attribute characters.

I am a bit apprehensive that many new TFT players may look at it with the mentality of D&D and/or CRPGs where they think the expected course of the game is to drive through to the max. And I also fear people will be giving out 100 XP for showing up to play, 100 XP for roleplaying, 100 XP for making the GM laugh...

But hopefully not. ;-)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
fisherro

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
This sounds like it could be inspired by Lawrence Watt-Evans' excellent but obscure The Lords of Dûs series.
Yes. The article explicitly cites Watt-Evans.
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
the1weasel

Just out of curiosity, is this a workaround in anticipation of a rule change that gives standard characters a 40 point cap?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
larsdangly

If so then its author would have to be a time traveller, because it was written decades ago!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote