Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
The Wyzard

Default Poll: The Iconic Wizard Needs a Tiger

https://i.imgur.com/zlN0V1W.jpg

The fashion in modern game marketing is to have "iconic" characters. These are characters that show up more than once in the art, and have names and a specified class, some blurbs about their background, and so forth. They might have a character sheet released at some point, to give a "sample character" to players who need to see how characters might develop past character creation and they give a greater sense of the world. They can also be handy as pregens for any module.

Now, the wizard from the cover of Wizard strikes me as potentially compelling, possibly because she looks like she belongs airbrushed on the side of a van. But you never see the sorceress alone on the van. She's always got some a friend with her. A demon, a dragon, or like a neon blue tiger with a saddle on it or something.

What I'm saying is, TFT needs some iconic characters (the obvious starting points would be the ones from the covers of the boxed sets), and the wizard needs a big weird animal or monster companion so she's not alone on the side of the van.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Poll: The Iconic Wizard Needs a Tiger

I think the companions she got are found on the new Legacy Edition box and ITL covers as seen on the Kickstarter page. Only time will tell if they will become the new iconic characters for TFT.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

A blue dragonet would be pretty.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
JLV

Maybe it should be red or white in order to provide some contrast (plus, red would tie in with the Legionary...)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
Terquem

And the Centurion could have a Blue Heeler, war dog.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
Skarg

Personally, while I'd be happy to see art with any of those creatures mentioned, I don't know that I'm looking forward to always seeing the same "iconic" characters in TFT art.

One of the distinguishing things about TFT to me is that in contrast to many other RPGs, it's not much designed as a game where you'd expect the same characters to survive and be used over and over, unless you play really well and get lucky.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
One of the distinguishing things about TFT to me is that in contrast to many other RPGs, it's not much designed as a game where you'd expect the same characters to survive and be used over and over, unless you play really well and get lucky.
Very well said, as TFT is a game of death; or more properly, the avoidance of death - it is a bloody game with a very high attrition rate.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
JLV

Certainly, I don't remember any "iconic" figures from original TFT (or any other general RPG at that time), but I'm guessing that had more to do with the way art budgets were handled, than anything else.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #9
DarkPumpkin

Tigers are fine. "Iconic" characters generally rub me the wrong way (maybe it's just the name - something becomes iconic because people love it, not because the publisher says it's iconic).
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:46 AM   #10
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
A blue dragonet would be pretty.
Yes, especially if that dragonet was a familiar!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote