Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

View Poll Results: DFRPG Future, as whished for by Forumites
1) Just make more. 37 22.56%
2) .pdf with POD support 43 26.22%
2a) Seperate line. 10 6.10%
2b) Integrate into the DF line 67 40.85%
2c) Finish whats available, and end further production of new material. 1 0.61%
3) Simply end all further production, and place resources in other projects. 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #101
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRailgun View Post
You have hit the problem on the head. 99% of all the 3rd party product is garbage and it makes the game system tied to the garbage product a joke. Do you remember the Book of Erotic Fantasy?
To be honest, I dont think that is a major problem. For one, I did not even remember that product, and now that I do, these kinds of products never stroke me as garbage products driving the line reputation down, but were signs of how strong the line is, since people are willing to risk priting that kind of stuff.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #102
finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That's disengenuous, there are differences.
I intend to explain the existence of any relevant difference, and how to proceed if they wanted to start their own games. It's just that I cannot simply present DFRPG as "a new and fun game that you should definitely pick up if you enjoined my game today".

My explanation will depend on the interest of the players, and their prior experience of GURPS and ownership of GURPS products, and the limited availability of different GURPS products in the local language (Japanese).

I plan to bring the DFRPG box set to a convention in May. SJG may well have announced by then how they will proceed with the GURPS DF/DFRPG lines. If they do, I will base my explanation on SJG's announcement.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #103
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRailgun View Post
You have hit the problem on the head. 99% of all the 3rd party product is garbage and it makes the game system tied to the garbage product a joke. Do you remember the Book of Erotic Fantasy?
Yes. It was written by a member of the D&D team at Wizards in her off-time, and had great production values for a third-party product. Yes, it was useless, but then, so was the Book of Vile Darkness and Sword and Fist. I wonder what happened to the company that put out those books?

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #104
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Yes, it was useless, but then, so was ... Sword and Fist.
raisedeyebrow.jpg
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #105
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I intend to explain the existence of any relevant difference, and how to proceed if they wanted to start their own games. It's just that I cannot simply present DFRPG as "a new and fun game that you should definitely pick up if you enjoined my game today".
If it is still available I don't see why they shouldn't. If it isn't then, there isn't really a point in running it for demo purposes. You can still run it, people play OOP games all the time.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #106
ArchonShiva

To be clear, the future availability of DFRPG as a PDF product, and its continued support in the form of errata, isn’t remotely in jeopardy, right?

Further printings are looking really bad; future releases not that much better, but the game isn’t going to become unavailable.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #107
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
To be clear, the future availability of DFRPG as a PDF product, and its continued support in the form of errata, isn’t remotely in jeopardy, right?
Kromm has indicated elsewhere that GURPS as PDF product is perfectly healthy. It's just physical products which don't perform well. No announcements have been made to that point, but they've never made a PDF product unavailable once published, and I wouldn't expect that to happen with the DFRPG.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #108
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Further printings are looking really bad; future releases not that much better, but the game isn’t going to become unavailable.
Yes, so I don't see a reason to tell people not to get it.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #109
finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If it is still available I don't see why they shouldn't. If it isn't then, there isn't really a point in running it for demo purposes. You can still run it, people play OOP games all the time.
I'm not running it for demo purposes. I'm running it for my own enjoyment.

I would explain the purchase of DFRPG box set as an option if they are interested in the game. That's probably what they would ask first, as the box is right in front of them. It's that I will have to tell them that the line is probably dead, and would consult them on whether the GURPS DF line would be a better fit for them. If I didn't and simply recommended the purchase of DFRPG, I would consider that disingenuous.

If the DFRPG was an active line, I would have recommended DFRPG over GURPS DF 90% of the time. If they liked the game, I would have casually suggested that "than you should buy the DFRPG box set. It's the best dungeon exploring game around". Now, it's not that simple.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #110
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I'm not running it for demo purposes. I'm running it for my own enjoyment.

I would explain the purchase of DFRPG box set as an option if they are interested in the game. That's probably what they would ask first, as the box is right in front of them. It's that I will have to tell them that the line is probably dead, and would consult them on whether the GURPS DF line would be a better fit for them. If I didn't and simply recommended the purchase of DFRPG, I would consider that disingenuous.

If the DFRPG was an active line, I would have recommended DFRPG over GURPS DF 90% of the time. If they liked the game, I would have casually suggested that "than you should buy the DFRPG box set. It's the best dungeon exploring game around". Now, it's not that simple.
I don't see why a line being "dead" actually matters. It's fun to buy new game supplements sure, but they aren't actually necessary. There are plenty of people who play games that only ever had the one book, or whatever.

In this case though, the support isn't entirely absent, since GURPS DF stuff is mostly usable with the DFRPG.

Tags
dfrpg