Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #31
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Armor for points, not money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I will not let a player Sig gear their way to the sword of epic doom
That's nice.

Now can we get someone into the thread with ideas on how to answer Flyn's question? Other inquiring minds also want to know.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #32
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
"Arise!" spoke the thread necromancer.
I decided to try a mostly realistic knight whose shtick is the absolute best armor money can buy using Low Tech with all the bells and whistles. His plate comes out to a few hundred thousand dollars. Ain't no way buying that with points to cash or Signature Gear would cost fewer points than straight up D.R.
So, what do?
Averaging and simplifying the coverage comes out to probably limited DR 7 for no more than 35 points vs. the insane wealth or Sig. Gear needed for near $400k. The perk cheaper gear, metal armor of his armorer family could knock off 40%, but it's still not competitive points-wise.

Edit: If there's a more recent or on topic thread, I couldn't find it.
The most reasonable way to solve this issue is probably to change how exchanging points for money work. It is not very reasonable that you can get far more money by spending points on Wealth (which gives much more than just starting cash) instead. Something like this could probably work much better.

Calculate how much extra money you could have gotten by instead spending the points on Wealth. Points left over after buying the highest achievable Wealth level increase money by 40% per point. If this amount of money is larger than what you normally would get by exchanging points for money, then you get this larger amount instead. You don't have to reduce this money by 80% for having a settled lifestyle.

For example a Poor person in a TL 8 setting who spends 70 points would get
2,000,000 * (1+0.4*5) - 4,000 = 5,996,000
65 pointd could buy that character Filthy Rich Wealth, the remaining 5 points increase the money by 40%*5 = 200% and the 4,000 from Poor Wealth is subtracted.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #33
Bruno

Mlangsdorf has played with scaling Signature Gear/Trading Points For Cash with wealth levels.

I think if you're allowing Wealth in the same game as SigGear/Trading Points, SigGear/Trading Points should work along the same money scale somehow. A Poor person could manage to Trade Points For Wealthy Cash by marching far enough up the scale. I can't really visualize how to do that right now though :P

---

On the subject of Gadgets, I think there's room for a "clunky" Gadget limitation, but it's really Nuisance Effect dressed up in a gadget outfit.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #34
Flyndaran
Untagged

I've looked at nice house rules that boost Signature Gear's efficacy based on wealth. But even those can't handle the sheer expensiveness of my uber-armor when compared to just buying DR.
Sure, one could just say that equipment as gadgets and DR aren't options for humans, but add even a hint of realistic non-humans and it seems a hint unfair.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #35
Kalzazz

When I did a uber armor character it clocked in the 20+ DR range

Expertly tailored DR 14 plate, ornate +1
Expertly tailored DR 5 heavy mail, hardened (so DR 6)
Masterfully tailored dire spider silk padded armor 2
Ironskin amulet 3
Lifetime supply of fetching and carrying potions to still move . . . . . . priceless
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #36
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
When I did a uber armor character it clocked in the 20+ DR range

Expertly tailored DR 14 plate, ornate +1
Expertly tailored DR 5 heavy mail, hardened (so DR 6)
Masterfully tailored dire spider silk padded armor 2
Ironskin amulet 3
Lifetime supply of fetching and carrying potions to still move . . . . . . priceless
Man I wonder what that would weigh for an SM +2 character... my Ogress needs a boost... nah. She probably couldn't carry it after the size-up.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:22 AM   #37
Flyndaran
Untagged

Trying it as Gadget DR comes up with Breakable DR 7, forcibly removed, nuisance, SM 0, etc. for 18 points.
Perhaps it would minimize abuse if such advantage gear must come with more expensive Wealth. So for my guy, he needs at least 20 point Wealthy.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 AM   #38
Lucian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's nice.

Now can we get someone into the thread with ideas on how to answer Flyn's question? Other inquiring minds also want to know.
Sorry, IMO, The GM is supposed to prevent abuse, and keep things balanced (and simple).

Now because you stat super awesome heavy armor for one guy, you gotta do it for everyone.

Your gonna have to stat the Sword of Doom for this guy, and the Staff of Disembowlment for the mage.

Didn't someone mention stating a spoon before? Its a joke but its true.

Even OP above says its kind of abusive for his 18 points
so he should take wealth as well to round it off for 38 points .

38 points isnt unreasonable for such an advantage, but at that point why not just go with the Sig gear and the basic set. You get the same amount of DR.

ok yeah, maybe the armor is a bit heavier because its not expertly tailored or fluted or whatever. But the points you save can be put into ST for greater encumbrance and damage

Just my Opinion

E-mail me if you have questions enniya.questions@gmail.com
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #39
Anders

Looked at PK's rules for trading points for money and you'll still need to shell out on the order of 130 points for this. I think this is one of those occasions where you'll have to disregard point balance and just say "That's awesome". Provided all the players are cool with it. See also Ghostdancer's post on building to the concept.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #40
Celjabba

Or reduce the $ cost. These armors were historically very expensive but historically, you couldn't purchase matching innate DR... If crafted armor is on competition with advantages in setting, a price revision may be in order.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, breakable, character points, damage resistance