Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
hcobb

Default TFT's Napalm spell

Sorry, but I was mistaken when I complained about a lack of spell that would cling to the target and burn him to death over a minute.

The fault was entirely mine for not reading the rulebook carefully enough and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Starting Sniper
ST 12 DX 11 IQ 9
Light Crossbow(2d, one shot per turn at adjDX 14 or 15), 10 Branded quarrels(+2 damage for 12 turns each)
Crossbow, three levels of Missile Weapons, etc.

ITL Page 158: "The Brand enchantment, cast on an arrow, creates a reliable flaming arrow which will remain burning for a minute after it is fired."

Page 162: "A missile weapon may be enchanted so the arrows from it will flame. The flame adds 1 point to the damage from an ordinary bow, and 2 points to that done by a crossbow."

Page 167: "If the harmful magic item is a weapon, and is stuck in the victim, you may pull it out. However, such things (usually arrowheads) are almost always barbed, making removal difficult and dangerous. Roll for damage as though the victim had just been struck by another arrow (or whatever) of the same type. This means an arrow might well do more damage coming out than going in! This rule applies only to field surgery; if you get back to civilization, or if you have a Master Physicker in your party, an arrow can be removed without damage. Note that field removal of an arrow isn’t necessary unless it’s enchanted; otherwise, the shaft can be cut short, and the wound bound up until the victim gets back to a Master Physicker."

I suppose it takes an action to yank the flaming quarrel out of your side?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: TFT's Napalm spell

I'd probably rule that the arrow is extinguished when it enters the target, and doesn't continue to do fire damage. A continuously burning arrow would be cool, but I'd make it a separate and more expensive enchantment.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Sorry, but I was mistaken when I complained about a lack of spell that would cling to the target and burn him slowly to death over a minute.
Added minor correction.

Quote:
I suppose it takes an action to yank the flaming quarrel out of your side?
Yes, raises a few issues.
Would seem to require free hands, DX to grasp, ST to pull out, and IQ to summon the will to grasp the flame and to endure the agony, eg The Revenant and Two Mules for Sister Sara.
So I would suggest a 9D roll against combined ST+DX+IQ. Not sure what should happen on a critical failure, but should be bad.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
hcobb

I think the fix is in the other wording on page 158: "and remains burning until it breaks or is broken, or a holder commands it to go out"

Is the stickie the holder?

Will stop drop and roll break (and therefore disenchant) the burning arrow shafts without impacting (pun intended) on the ordinary arrow heads?