Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: PYRAMID Special TFT Section

I agree; 'funnel' sessions are really fun, and create an attachment between players and their their new characters. I just prefer the idea that you create and run the starting goof balls in a way that doesn't require bending the rules governing talents and weapon use.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #12
the1weasel

I heard this term “funeral adventure” on Discord. It is used to give players a sense of character mortality in TFT vs. what they may be used to in current systems where it’s perhaps intended to be focused on more cooperative/story-driven and character advancement goals.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
platimus

I haven't read this specific article but I've read one like it elsewhere. Here are the positives I see to it:

1. It lets players get familiar with the rules/mechanics and accustomed to dying before they get really invested in a particular character.
2. It lets GMs get experience with the system as well. It gives him a sandbox (the other type) to test his judgment. Is this too hard? Is this too easy? Will this result in TPK or Total Party "Pfft".
3. It gives the GM a little recon on his players. How they think. What they like. Dislike. etc.

The other place I read about this approach stipulated that the "funnel" characters were slightly less "endowed" than normal starting characters. I don't know if this article suggested that or not. I would suggest using normal starting characters (32-points) instead for the reasons stated above. The GMs goal should actually be to kill 75% of the party. Basically it provides a good way for both players and GMs to find their stride before they invest large amounts of time in larger adventures.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote