Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
DrewAstolfi67

Default Can we talk about the Mnoren?

Will the Mnoren feature in the updated version?

They reminded me of the Lords in Phillip Jose Farmer and I was fascinated by them. My friends and I never used them in a game, in part b/c our characters never got all that powerful, and perhaps also b/c Steve Jackson advised against it in the rule book.

But we speculated about them a lot, and always assumed there were all these high-level agendas happening under the surface...did anyone ever do anything with them?
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
The Wyzard

Default Re: Can we talk about the Mnoren?

Playable Mnoren or Bust.

[I could actually write up a pitch for that campaign in less than half an hour if I wanted to.]
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewAstolfi67 View Post
They reminded me of the Lords in Phillip Jose Farmer and I was fascinated by them. My friends and I never used them in a game, in part b/c our characters never got all that powerful, and perhaps also b/c Steve Jackson advised against it in the rule book.
I find the Mnoren reminiscent of the Amberites from Roger Zelazny's Amber novels. They move between worlds like Amberites, though they don't seem to have quite the same level of world-shaping abilities. The Mnoren are a great mechanism for justifying why any number of otherwise anomalous things might be found on Cidri. They existed in my campaign, but as rumour and legend, with the players never encountering anyone with first-hand experience with them.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
Mallen the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I find the Mnoren reminiscent of the Amberites from Roger Zelazny's Amber novels. They move between worlds like Amberites, though they don't seem to have quite the same level of world-shaping abilities. The Mnoren are a great mechanism for justifying why any number of otherwise anomalous things might be found on Cidri. They existed in my campaign, but as rumour and legend, with the players never encountering anyone with first-hand experience with them.
I did not think the Amberites were like the Mnorens. The description by SJ said they used magic and tech in equal shares of a level players could only dream about. Amberites had a dislike of tech because they thought it was unreliable.

Maybe I remember these points wrong. At my age, it happens.

As for using Mnoren in campaigns, I did the same as you. They left toys around if you could find them. But never gave players a chance to meeting one.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
I did not think the Amberites were like the Mnorens. The description by SJ said they used magic and tech in equal shares of a level players could only dream about. Amberites had a dislike of tech because they thought it was unreliable.

It actually was unreliable. Gunpowder demonstrably didn't work in Amber itself, or its near surrounds.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
DrewAstolfi67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post

As for using Mnoren in campaigns, I did the same as you. They left toys around if you could find them. But never gave players a chance to meeting one.
Yeah, I agree not exactly Amberites - the Lords from the World of Tiers are a better match... altho Zelazny says he was inspired by World of Tiers and dedicated one of the books to Jadawin and Kikacha from World of Tiers...so it's not too far off. The Lords used tech that seemed magical to make their own fantastic private worlds...and were jaded, decadent and paranoid.
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
kentreuber

Hawaii has the menehune, who were supposed to have built all sorts of amazing things before the arrival of the Polynesians.
kentreuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
ColinK

I don't remember ever bringing an actual Mnoren into any game I managed.

We did occasionally pick up "stuff" associated with Mnoren activities, like the odd rocket propelled grenade launcher in SECURITY STATION.

Honest, the goblin dropped it, or we never would have noticed....
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 AM   #9
Chris Rice

I had a City in my campaign world which was run by mysterious rulers who may have been Mnoren. The players never found out the truth.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:51 AM   #10
David Bofinger

I had a city in my campaign which was notionally ruled by a reclusive Mnoren. At least that's what the guy who claimed to be his prime minister said. He might have been telling the truth or lying, there was no way to know.

Playing a Mnoren strikes me as absolutely bizarre but probably not bizarre enough to be fun.
  • You have two attributes: the will to continue existing (WX) and the respect of other Mnoren (RE).
  • You have to find things to do which are sufficiently diverting to make your WX rise: boring events make your WX fall. You may also have talents, which help you to gain extra WX from particular kinds of situation. If your WX falls to zero you give up on life, which is like dying for normal characters except you get to make one grand gesture (like handing a human your sceptre and flying into the sunset).
  • If you ruin other Mnoren's fun your RE drops and other Mnoren will decide you are boring and not invite you to their social occasions which makes it harder to gain WX. If your RE drops to zero several other Mnoren get together and kill you.
  • You can literally do anything you like to anyone who isn't a Mnoren any time and they can't hurt you under any circumstance. You can also e.g. shape planets into donuts, unless someone else owns the planet and objects. You can't do anything to other Mnoren (writing rules for it would be horrible) but if you argue with another Mnoren about something you might be able to get them to give in using your RE. Or drive them to suicide.
  • A battle between a Mnoren and a non-Mnoren might consist of the Mnoren either trying to drive away the ennui long enough to exterminate the non-Mnoren, or the non-Mnoren trying to drive the Mnoren into suicidal depression.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote