Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
pzmcgwire
 
pzmcgwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Crossbows

Is a carried crossbow considered loaded so it won't take an additional round to load a crossbow after readying it?

Is there the chance of an accidental discharge of an unready, slung, loaded, crossbow?

I've seen pictures of medieval crossbowmen hunkering behind pavises to use cranequins to wind and reload their crossbows. Were these just weaklings who didn't have the strength to hand crank their heavy crossbows?

Or would those be considered a super-heavy crossbow?
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
Shostak
 
Shostak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Default Re: Crossbows

No way. The quarrel would almost certainly fall out, and, even if it didn't, the crossbow could too easily be triggered.

In TFT terms, those soldiers with cranequins did not have the requisite ST to ready their weapon without mechanical aid.
__________________
* * * *
Anthony Shostak
myriangia.wordpress.com
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: Crossbows

Yes, you can carry around a loaded crossbow as per ITL 115.

If your tower shield has a kickstand then use it as a brace to counter out some of the DX penalty for being under ST.
__________________
-HJC
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #4
Peter von Kleinsmid
The Fantasy Trip Line Editor
 
Join Date: May 2021
Default Re: Crossbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
Is a carried crossbow considered loaded so it won't take an additional round to load a crossbow after readying it?

Is there the chance of an accidental discharge of an unready, slung, loaded, crossbow?
Readying a crossbow from one's back can include one turn of cocking/loading, so for a light crossbow readied ordinarily, it won't help to have pre-loaded a slung crossbow - it will take one turn to ready from slung, either way.

With a heavy crossbow, Quick Draw talent, or a crossbow that requires a crainquin to load, though, a pre-loaded crossbow would make a difference.

It would be up to your GM whether there are crossbows available which allow "safely" slinging a cocked and loaded crossbow, and if so, how dangerous that might be.

It is possible with some modern crossbows, but also safety-conscious people tend to consider it rather dangerous to do so. Falling down would be dangerous. Also, if a crossbow releases without a quarrel, it can cause injuries and/or damage the crossbow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
I've seen pictures of medieval crossbowmen hunkering behind pavises to use cranequins to wind and reload their crossbows. Were these just weaklings who didn't have the strength to hand crank their heavy crossbows?

Or would those be considered a super-heavy crossbow?
Many people (not just weaklings) aren't strong enough to cock a heavy crossbow by hand.

And yes, there were crossbows which were so strong practically anyone would need to use a cranequin.

ITL also suggests some crossbows are built to only be cockable using a cranequin.

Heavier crossbows are particularly useful in sieges and other military situations where the circumstances (such as having a pavise and an enemy that won't be charging you for many minutes, or in a seige, perhaps for months) gives you time to cock with a cranequin. Especially if you have a pavise or castle wall protecting you while you do. The DX penalty for firing an over-strength crossbow is also less important when you're firing at an entire enemy army rather than a specific target.
Peter von Kleinsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:30 PM   #5
pzmcgwire
 
pzmcgwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: Crossbows

Yes you can carry a loaded crossbow at ready, but it doesn't sound like you can carry a loaded crossbow slung on your back. ITL 115 is silent on the unready part.

Most dungeons are flat-floored, so could crossbows be mounted on wheeled carts with shields on the front, giving the bracing bonus for firing and defense bonus when being fired upon.

A bit munchkinnesque, but there is a Lego precedence. https://brickset.com/sets/1732-1/Crossbow-Cart

Another question, does the +DX bracing and prone firing adjustment count for increasing the rate of fire for crossbows?

Last edited by pzmcgwire; 06-10-2021 at 11:33 PM.
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
Axly Suregrip
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default Re: Crossbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
Yes you can carry a loaded crossbow at ready, but it doesn't sound like you can carry a loaded crossbow slung on your back. ITL 115 is silent on the unready part.

Most dungeons are flat-floored, so could crossbows be mounted on wheeled carts with shields on the front, giving the bracing bonus for firing and defense bonus when being fired upon.

A bit munchkinnesque, but there is a Lego precedence. https://brickset.com/sets/1732-1/Crossbow-Cart

Any weapon mounted on wheals is really a siege weapon. Meant for firing at crowds more than accuracy. Assuming Lego has a historical reference. In any case, if you have a player that wants a crossbow cart, I do see several disadvantages:

1) aiming: instead of holding and aiming a crossbow, you are aiming a whole cart. There should be a DX penalty because of the weight and slowness of aiming this size.

2) doorways: it does not look like it would fit through a standard doorway. Carts are not meant to go through doors, except barn doors.

3) stairs and vertical shafts: at some point I might start giving out fatigue to players working this hard to keep the cart with them.

4) the crossbow triggers: normally a crossbow is handheld with the trigger in hand. Not sure if the trigger is near the handles used to push the cart or if there is machinery to make it so. If like other siege engines, it is not designed to fire on the move. That is, position it, then roughly aim it at the enemy army/fort, and then pull a lever or trigger. As such there will always be set up time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
Another question, does the +DX bracing and prone firing adjustment count for increasing the rate of fire for crossbows?
No. The only modifier that affects speed of fire is the missile weapons skill.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #7
JustAnotherJarhead
 
JustAnotherJarhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Cali
Default Re: Crossbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Yes, you can carry around a loaded crossbow as per ITL 115.

If your tower shield has a kickstand then use it as a brace to counter out some of the DX penalty for being under ST.
Even a Small shield could be used as a "brace" (not benefitting from shield absorbed hits while used as a brace) If the crossbowman was kneeling, this would be no different than stabilizing it on a tree stump.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:13 AM   #8
amenditman
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida Peninsula, Earth, Sol Sytem
Default Re: Crossbows

The Swiss Crossbowmen with pavise shield used the pavise as a rest for accurate fire.
__________________
The first rule of GMing
"If you make it, players will break it"
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #9
pzmcgwire
 
pzmcgwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: Crossbows

I envisioned more of a rolling shield/pavise handcart with a notch at the top to prop the crossbow on. rather than a permanently mounted crossbow, though one could be mounted with a swivel mount.

To protect only one person, it would fit through most doors, trundle down stairs, and be not heavier than a brawny paladin in plate mail to take down a shaft by rope.

Mount a battering ram on the front of the pavise and smash down a door.

Maybe the town guard "Swat" teams have this back at the keep.

Actually they do, these were called mantlets, search for wheeled mantlets and you'll see some nice medieval examples, and of course there is also a Lego version. https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-537...ntlet/#details

Last edited by pzmcgwire; 06-12-2021 at 07:31 AM.
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM   #10
JustAnotherJarhead
 
JustAnotherJarhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Cali
Default Re: Crossbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
I envisioned more of a rolling shield/pavise handcart with a notch at the top to prop the crossbow on. rather than a permanently mounted crossbow, though one could be mounted with a swivel mount.

To protect only one person, it would fit through most doors, trundle down stairs, and be not heavier than a brawny paladin in plate mail to take down a shaft by rope.

Mount a battering ram on the front of the pavise and smash down a door.

Maybe the town guard "Swat" teams have this back at the keep.

Actually they do, these were called mantlets, search for wheeled mantlets and you'll see some nice medieval examples, and of course there is also a Lego version. https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-537...ntlet/#details


Henry Cobb will be down at the Lego store looking for that now.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.