Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
archypetro
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default MArtial arts styles

I've taken to attempting some development of 'own-world' martial styles but i'mn curious about a few things. Please forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere (which i suppose some of it has, and i've just not found it via search or reading)


1) Would a marital style (assuming a cinematic world) be able to grant access to certain skills/techniques/innate attacks etc?

For example Lets suggest a style taught a system that delived and emphasised perfectly connecting blows (to pressure points) in order to overcome an opponent, Pressure points would indeed be on the skill list
but would it be possible to circumvent the normal TBaM pre-requisite?
I mean if that's the whole point of the skill.. then does it make a lot of sense for the lower students to be unable to do this until they're Masters?
(it may be a poor example, but that's the general feeling)

2) In a similar fashion would it be feasible to grant 'extraordinary' powers to
practitioners of a sylte?

For example, say a person was studying 'flaming dragon fist' which emphasised using the idea and concept of dragons and their fire based attacks to grant some chi-based supernatural power...

So.. in the 'option skills/abilities' part of the martial art, you could get something like Innate Attack 1D Burning (Melee, etc etc) - for a fire imbued punch, once they become sufficiently skilled at that style.

3) Following on from the above questions. How would you model a 'lightning fist style'? Which aims to be able to punch excessively per second (real life masters can punch 10x/second) in a very cinematic fashion without costing hundreds of character points?

The idea i had was this:

a perk could potentially allow you to drop -1 from one attack of rapid strike. But you only can access it if you've studied this style.

E.g.

CharacterA is trained in this style
and he has 2 levels of 'lightning fist perk(karate)' he opts to do a rapid strike so that his attacks are as follows.

-6/-6
he decides, however, to put his training to good use and use his perks to drop it to
-4/-6 (or -5/-5, or some other combination)...

Is this too overpowered (Given that TBaM cost 30)? Can someone suggest an alternative? I considered saying 'innate attack, melee-bound, high rate of fire' as an alterantive to this.

Thanks
archypetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
aesir23
 
aesir23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Default Re: MArtial arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by archypetro View Post
1) Would a marital style (assuming a cinematic world) be able to grant access to certain skills/techniques/innate attacks etc?
Yes, this is what the Unusual Training Perk does. Unusual Training (Pressure Points is listed as a style perk for Chin Na, so presumably the creators don't consider that particular usage to be abusive.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by archypetro View Post
2) In a similar fashion would it be feasible to grant 'extraordinary' powers to
practitioners of a sylte?
Sure, just include what ever Unusual Background you want in the style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archypetro View Post
3) Following on from the above questions. How would you model a 'lightning fist style'? Which aims to be able to punch excessively per second (real life masters can punch 10x/second) in a very cinematic fashion without costing hundreds of character points?
This I'm not sure about, what you're describing is powerful enough to be worth hundreds of character points.

The fair and rules legal way to do this is to allow stylists to buy several Combinations. Also consider Dual Weapon Attack (Unarmed) and Unusual Training (Dual Weapon Attack, may only attack one target).
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
davidtmoore
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default Re: MArtial arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by archypetro View Post
3) Following on from the above questions. How would you model a 'lightning fist style'? Which aims to be able to punch excessively per second (real life masters can punch 10x/second) in a very cinematic fashion without costing hundreds of character points?

The idea i had was this:

a perk could potentially allow you to drop -1 from one attack of rapid strike. But you only can access it if you've studied this style.

E.g.

CharacterA is trained in this style
and he has 2 levels of 'lightning fist perk(karate)' he opts to do a rapid strike so that his attacks are as follows.

-6/-6
he decides, however, to put his training to good use and use his perks to drop it to
-4/-6 (or -5/-5, or some other combination)...

Is this too overpowered (Given that TBaM cost 30)? Can someone suggest an alternative? I considered saying 'innate attack, melee-bound, high rate of fire' as an alterantive to this.

Thanks
TbaM for thirty points halves the Rapid Strike penalty, which is your first area for investigation. I wouldn't really want to break TbaM into smaller chunks so you could just buy the reduced Rapid Strike penalty.

The realistic option is buying up a load of combinations; it only costs [5] points to improve a two-step combo to -4/-4, and only [9] to take it all the way up to 0/0. You have to stipulate the targets, but "Lightning Fists" could be all about the specific striking combos.

So throw the techniques Combination (Karate Punch/Torso-Karate Punch/Face); Combination (Karate Punch/Face-Karate Punch/Vitals); and Combination (Karate Punch/Face-Karate Punch/Face-Karate Punch/Face) in there.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
archypetro
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default Re: MArtial arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Yes, this is what the Unusual Training Perk does. Unusual Training (Pressure Points is listed as a style perk for Chin Na, so presumably the creators don't consider that particular usage to be abusive.)

Sure, just include what ever Unusual Background you want in the style.

This I'm not sure about, what you're describing is powerful enough to be worth hundreds of character points.

The fair and rules legal way to do this is to allow stylists to buy several Combinations. Also consider Dual Weapon Attack (Unarmed) and Unusual Training (Dual Weapon Attack, may only attack one target).

I see what you mean, i probably should mention something like.. reduced damage, so say.. you can do 10hits in a round but damange is say, one point per hit? or thr/3 or something?


As mentioned by davidmoore combinations is indeed a good way to go. But i'm aiming here for like super-mystical martial arts grand masters(in the end form). Who can strike with lightning speed, multiple times. It doesn't necessarily have to be thr damage for each hit, the effect of super punching speed would rock, by itself.

Though combinations are a bit too mundane, if i say so. Basically something similar to say Agent Smith in 'The Matrix' when he is fighting neo in the subway and does that blurry super punching of doom.

IT's kinda like to create the effect of the 'mystical pinnacle of that style of martial art'

:)
archypetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
lexington
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Re: MArtial arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by archypetro View Post
I see what you mean, i probably should mention something like.. reduced damage, so say.. you can do 10hits in a round but damange is say, one point per hit? or thr/3 or something?


As mentioned by davidmoore combinations is indeed a good way to go. But i'm aiming here for like super-mystical martial arts grand masters(in the end form). Who can strike with lightning speed, multiple times. It doesn't necessarily have to be thr damage for each hit, the effect of super punching speed would rock, by itself.

Though combinations are a bit too mundane, if i say so. Basically something similar to say Agent Smith in 'The Matrix' when he is fighting neo in the subway and does that blurry super punching of doom.

IT's kinda like to create the effect of the 'mystical pinnacle of that style of martial art'

:)
Sounds like you want Extra Attack (Multistrike, One Attack Only)
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
DreadPirateLynx
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default Re: MArtial arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by archypetro View Post
I see what you mean, i probably should mention something like.. reduced damage, so say.. you can do 10hits in a round but damange is say, one point per hit? or thr/3 or something?


As mentioned by davidmoore combinations is indeed a good way to go. But i'm aiming here for like super-mystical martial arts grand masters(in the end form). Who can strike with lightning speed, multiple times. It doesn't necessarily have to be thr damage for each hit, the effect of super punching speed would rock, by itself.

Though combinations are a bit too mundane, if i say so. Basically something similar to say Agent Smith in 'The Matrix' when he is fighting neo in the subway and does that blurry super punching of doom.

IT's kinda like to create the effect of the 'mystical pinnacle of that style of martial art'

:)
The way I'd do something like this is as follows:

Crushing Attack (Reduced Range (1/100) -50-60%, Rapid Fire (15) +100%)

I extrapolated the value of Reduced Range by following the progression of the table. I'm pretty sure it should be -60%, but I think that's a little higher than I would want it to be. Also keep in mind that the with the above build, damage is always halved (the target is always beyond 1/2D range), so make sure to buy enough d of damage to have the desired effect.

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know if there is a way to remove 1/2D from an Innate Attack?
DreadPirateLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: MArtial arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Yes, this is what the Unusual Training Perk does. Unusual Training (Pressure Points is listed as a style perk for Chin Na, so presumably the creators don't consider that particular usage to be abusive.)
Unusual Training usually doesn't allow you to use the trait as though you have TBAM, though, but only under special realistic circumstances. To be a cinematic Martial Artist you really should take TBAM.

Chin Na probably gets away with it because Pressure Points do work, using them in a real fight is what's borderline cinematic.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
lexington
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Re: MArtial arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateLynx View Post
The way I'd do something like this is as follows:

Crushing Attack (Reduced Range (1/100) -50-60%, Rapid Fire (15) +100%)

I extrapolated the value of Reduced Range by following the progression of the table. I'm pretty sure it should be -60%, but I think that's a little higher than I would want it to be. Also keep in mind that the with the above build, damage is always halved (the target is always beyond 1/2D range), so make sure to buy enough d of damage to have the desired effect.
Once you've dropped range that low why not just use the Melee limitation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateLynx View Post
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know if there is a way to remove 1/2D from an Innate Attack?
Yes, raise 1/2D until it is the same as normal range.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: MArtial arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by archypetro View Post
2) In a similar fashion would it be feasible to grant 'extraordinary' powers to
practitioners of a sylte?

For example, say a person was studying 'flaming dragon fist' which emphasised using the idea and concept of dragons and their fire based attacks to grant some chi-based supernatural power...

So.. in the 'option skills/abilities' part of the martial art, you could get something like Innate Attack 1D Burning (Melee, etc etc) - for a fire imbued punch, once they become sufficiently skilled at that style.
In this case you are talking about Powers and you might want to require Chi Projection Talent or Forceful Chi as a prerequisite.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
DreadPirateLynx
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default Re: MArtial arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Once you've dropped range that low why not just use the Melee limitation?
Because you can't add Rapid Fire to a Melee attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Yes, raise 1/2D until it is the same as normal range.
Thanks! So +15% to get rid of 1/2D in the above build

Last edited by DreadPirateLynx; 04-08-2010 at 01:46 PM.
DreadPirateLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.