Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #1
the_matrix_walker

Default Visualization, Single-Minded and Autohypnosis

Hey crew! Long time no see!

About to finally play my first RPM character in an upcoming Monster hunters game, and I was wondering about possible interaction with the title traits, Visualization, Single-Minded, and Autohypnosis.

Visualization seems like it could be useful, but there are many rolls involved in gathering energy... is visualization only meant to assist in the first roll if you are visualizing a process?

I know Single-Minded calls out magic as a possible exemption, has anyone used it? Thoughts?

I can't see a reason to rule out using Autohypnosis to improve concentration...
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Visualization, Single-Minded and Autohypnosis

For Visualization, I'd say that it rather depends on the GM: Some might not allow Visualization to affect the energy-gathering roll at all, some would only allow it for the initial roll, some would allow it for later rolls for the same ritual at a greater penalty, and a few might allow it for the whole set without a greater penalty.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:49 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

I wouldn't let any of those traits add to spellcasting attempts. It's too cheap for what it'll give you.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:21 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I wouldn't let any of those traits add to spellcasting attempts. It's too cheap for what it'll give you.
I've never had the clearest picture of what Single-Minded gave as B60 never elaborated on where "lengthy" begins.

B244 mentions "a lengthy spell"... I'm thinking more than 1 second?

B260 does include Single-Minded in the Mage template...

"concentrate on to the exclusion of" should probably mean you don't get the +3 if you did something like an active defense during spellcasting, even if you pass your will roll.

Kind of like taking an All-Out Concentrate on your 1st maneuver and downgrading to normal Concentrate on 2nd: you don't get the +1

In fact: AOC perhaps ought to be MANDATORY if you were applying this.

-5 to notice interruptions doesn't necessarily mean you can defend against them, right?

If you notice an interruption then your NEXT maneuver can be a normal concentrate (opt to drop the +3)

Last edited by Plane; 03-16-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:04 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I've never had the clearest picture of what Single-Minded gave as B60 never elaborated on where "lengthy" begins.
After some discussion with Kromm, I settled on 'at least one hour, but only so long as it is completed without interruption in one go' (this is probably only loosely based on Kromm's reply; my memory is fuzzy). That effectively makes it great for tasks lasting 1-8 hours, but not a free +3 that you can just apply to everything.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #6
Plane

maybe instead of +3 kicking in at 60 minutes it could be something like ratcheting up +1 per 20 minutes? Or like autotrance you need to spend some time getting in your single-minded zone to get the bonus?

we have the perk-level attentive on B163 for comparison, which is +1 and -3 to notice for 1.

If we assume it's [3] to get +3 and -9 to notice, then the extra 2 points is probably what reduces the -9 to -5

1 point for +2 to notice interruptions is 10% the cost of Per+2 [10] since it's pretty niche...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters, rpm