Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2022, 07:57 PM   #11
Pursuivant

Default Re: Value of Disadvantage that forces you to shapeshift involuntarily?

The closest thing to an "official" disadvantage is Involuntary Shapeshifting from GURPS 3E Shapeshifters.

Cost is -5 to -30 points based on how often you encounter the conditions which trigger your change. When the character changes, they lose all memories of their previous form and become an NPC under the GM's control.

Presumably, this disad didn't make it into GURPS 4E because it isn't much of a disadvantage and could be modeled by giving standard Shapeshifting the Nuisance Effect and Uncontrollable limitations. GURPS Powers and other books add the Cyclic and External Trigger special limitations.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 06-24-2022 at 08:04 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
The closest thing to an "official" disadvantage is Involuntary Shapeshifting from GURPS 3E Shapeshifters.

Cost is -5 to -30 points based on how often you encounter the conditions which trigger your change. When the character changes, they lose all memories of their previous form and become an NPC under the GM's control.

Presumably, this disad didn't make it into GURPS 4E because it isn't much of a disadvantage and could be modeled by giving standard Shapeshifting the Nuisance Effect and Uncontrollable limitations. GURPS Powers and other books add the Cyclic and External Trigger special limitations.
The problem with Uncontrollable on Alternate Form is it only applies to the base 15 point cost - not the point cost of the form itself. And as has been noted shapeshifting when you don't want to can be very costly in game - you can end up with a mob after you. Thus Compulsive Shapeshifting was my answer - and it works for the most part.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:52 PM   #13
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post

Having a trait that says "you, the player, aren't allowed to choose to do anything in a given scene" is very much a disadvantage. In fact I tend to shy away from letting my players take any disad like that if it would crop up more than once every few sessions and they tend to dislike them even more than I do.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:12 PM   #14
Prince Charon

A 'Jekyll and Hyde' type character that I was working on when my desktop worked had Alternate Form connected to Split Personality, so when the persona switched, so did the shape. That may not be what you want, though.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:54 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Uncontrollable doesn't do what I want done. Specifically:
* Any roll of 14+ fails.
* "On a failure, the GM takes over your ability, playing it as though it were an entity of a prankish or hostile nature."
* "After each uncontrolled act, you get another Will roll to control your power."

What I was looking for was one roll. As soon as you've shifted, the ability is back under your control again. Though I'd expect that directly shifting back to your normal form rarely is the right thing to do.
I think a possible delay of one second isn't that big a deal.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #16
Inky

The Shapeshifting advantage takes ten seconds, by default. And the OP seems to be talking in terms of not being able to fight during those ten seconds.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:10 AM   #17
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
The Shapeshifting advantage takes ten seconds, by default. And the OP seems to be talking in terms of not being able to fight during those ten seconds.
That's why I think an extra second doesn't matter.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:38 AM   #18
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I think a possible delay of one second isn't that big a deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That's why I think an extra second doesn't matter.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #19
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
And outing yourself as a werewolf in mixed company probably won't go over very well in most settings.
IMHO the setting will determine the other* disadvantage points, eg if no one knew you were a skin walker, Secret. Then maybe you're looking at Social Stigma, etc.
If the setting is changeling friendly, then accidentally changing would be "oops, haha, my bad", possibly a social faux pas a la wrong fork. Changeling Hostile - mob with torches & pitchforks...
*the uncontrolled change isn't the big points, it's what this means for your character / group in the setting.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:59 PM   #20
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
A 'Jekyll and Hyde' type character that I was working on when my desktop worked had Alternate Form connected to Split Personality, so when the persona switched, so did the shape. That may not be what you want, though.
The GURPS 3E Involuntary Shapeshifting disad that I referenced requires Split Personality as well.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote