Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-03-2023, 12:20 AM   #1
Prince Charon

Default [Psyberpunk] Black ICE as Cyberpsi abilities

Black ICE is a concept well-known to Cyberpunk fans: Intrusion Countermeasures Electronics (which is to say, computer security systems) that are potentially lethal to an intruder. 'Psyberpunk' is, as his etymology imply, cyberpunk with psychic powers, and often psi-tech (especially the kinds with that aesthetic, like psychotronic implants and psi drugs).

In normal cyberpunk, black ICE is some sort of advanced program or gadget in the computer that feeds back through your cyberdeck into your nervous system. In a psyberpunk setting, both the 'deck and the computer being hacked into may be psychotronic (and indeed, the deck might need to be), and likewise, the hacker might be an ergokinetic with the Netrunning ability. Cyberpsi doesn't seem to have any combat powers, though, but such are quite plausible for a Psyberpunk game.

My current thinking is that there could be several abilities that fall under the heading of 'black ICE' (Affliction: Heart Attack would fit, but so would some form of Toxic Attack, and other possibilities exist), but all of them require that the target and the user be accessing the same computer using cyberpsi (whether an innate power or through a psychotronic device). The main question is how to redefine the range component of whatever advantage is being used. 'Malediction' sort of works, if combined with some sort of Accessibility limitation that I'm uncertain how to price, but it's a bit clunky and annoying. Adding a Cosmic enhancement instead ('your and your target's locations within the net are your 'real' locations for targeting purposes,' or something like that), but then I'm still wondering how much that enhancement is worth.

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:11 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Psyberpunk] Black ICE as Cyberpsi abilities

I build Net shamans a couple of ways and part of that might be relevant.
A net form can be built like astral form - Insubstantiality, Possession, or Clairsentience with the Projection modifier. This modifier from Powers makes the projected form vulnerable where it is. So the AI doesn't need any extended range and often they are considered touching (Possession and perhaps telepathy or other powers with limitations).
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:16 AM   #3
TGLS

Honestly I think sticking Accessibility (only on the net) and declaring that distance penalties work differently in general as a feature would work. If that doesn't work for you, maybe redesign cyberpsi so it's key advantage is Jumper (Cyberspace) and stick world spanning on remote attacks and accessibility on attacks thatuat be done online
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
Prince Charon

OK, but how much should 'Accessibility (only on the net)' cost? Pricing is the thing that I most frequently find myself unsure about with new limitations. My current thinking is 'somewhere between 20% and 40%,' but I'd like a clearer answer than this.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:36 PM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
OK, but how much should 'Accessibility (only on the net)' cost? Pricing is the thing that I most frequently find myself unsure about with new limitations. My current thinking is 'somewhere between 20% and 40%,' but I'd like a clearer answer than this.
It depends on how often it would be useful in your campaign. There are guidelines for Accessibility in Powers and Power Ups 8: Limitations, where you basically look up roughly what percentage of the time you estimate the ability will be available (or percentage of potential targets it will work on), and then assign the corresponding Limitation value; the only one I know off the top of my head is that being available ~50% of the time is worth -20%.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:50 PM   #6
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
OK, but how much should 'Accessibility (only on the net)' cost?
Well my gut instinct is something like:
-40% -> Only IT enthusiasts and digital entities hang out "on the net"
-30% -> Regular people hang out "on the net" sometimes
-20% -> Refusing to be "On the net" is considered odd.
-10% -> Refusing to be "On the net" seriously inconveniences your life
-0% -> The campaign takes place almost entirely "On the net"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:32 PM   #7
Prince Charon

OK, after reading the thread and thinking a bit, a couple of possible black ICE abilities, and a defence against one of them:

Affliction (Heart Attack, +300%; Malediction, +100%; No Signature, +20%; Ergokinesis, -10%; Melee Attack, C, -30%; Only on the 'net, -20%; Feature: Range is based on locations in cyberspace, not real space.) [46]

Toxic Attack 0d+10 (No Signature, +20%; Damage cannot exceed margin of victory, -50%; Ergokinesis, -10%; Only on the 'net, -20%; Feature: Range is based on locations in cyberspace, not real space.) [5/level]

Cyberpsi Shield
4 points per level

Skill: Cyberpsi Shield (Will/Hard).

Your psyberdeck, or your own power, provides your meat-body with resistance to the more direct forms of black ICE.

Statistics: Damage Resistance 1 (Ergokinesis, -10%; Only on attacks from the 'net, -20%) [4].

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Old 02-04-2023, 02:17 AM   #8
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It depends on how often it would be useful in your campaign.
But err towards stinginess with Accessibility limitations, since players who take powers with Accessibility limitations WILL find ways to get around them. As a guess, -20% seems fair for "Only on the Net" in a Cyberpunk campaign for a power which will primarily appeal to characters who spend most of their time on the Net.

A cyber-shaman who can just touch a computer and send a "cyberspirit" through the net to attack foes would have much less of an Accessibility Limitation ("Must make contact with some part of a contiguous computer network").
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:49 AM   #9
Pursuivant

Your sample powers look good and well-balanced.

I agree with the idea of "range" being based on "nodes" or similar distances within the net. Functionally, they act as hexes.

The same thing holds for "command phases" vs. regular turns. Increased damage rates aren't enhancements if everyone is accelerated by the same amount.

If you want RAW rules, Black Ice (actually, the Flatline Program) from GURPS 3E Cyberpunk is nasty.

It does 3d HP/phase (~1/10 sec.), bypassing DR & striking the victim's Brain until they can jack out (requires DX roll or similar & might do damage if you just yank out cables).

It can be blocked or fooled using certain Programs (effectively a QC of defender's Computer Operations or defending program's skill vs. Flatline program skill).

Even toned down, that makes for a very pricey attack:

Flatline (305 points): Innate Attack (12d toxic (48 points base cost), Enhancements: Cosmic (Bypasses DR), +300%; Cyclic (3 cycles), +300%; No Signature, +20%. Limitations: Accessibility (Only vs. living cyberspace users who are jacked into the net), -40%; Ergokinesis, -10%; Melee Attack (C), -30%; Resistible (QC of attacker's IQ vs. defender's DX-based Computer Operations skill), -5%. Features: All damage is to victim's brain (4x damage modifier factored in). Damage rate is based on speed of combat in cyberspace. Fuse or similar program can substitute their skill for defender's skill. Range is based on locations in cyberspace, not real space.)

It would cost 26 points per level as a leveled trait.

There are many other types of Black Ice, including versions which give the defender Epilepsy or Reprogrammable (via Brain Hacking skill or equivalent) or which allow Possession by a Ghostcomp program. Base them on Affliction, but since these sorts of programs must win the Quick Contest 3 times before the victim jacks out, treat them as Secondary effects.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyberpunk, psionic powers, questions