Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 01-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #21
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Is JTAS still going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Personally, however, I would have liked the opportunity to sign up for JTAS after the expiration of the licensing agreement just so I could download all the back catalog of JTAS articles to read them off-line, even if I didn't get any credit for unused time.

There is some hope for those of us who don't have copies of the archives, if I'm reading this post correctly and what was posted is accurate (rather than wishful rumour):
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
From what I've been told, Far Future Enterprises gets the copyright and archives of JTAS and all the GURPS books at the start of next year. From there, the plan is to release the collection on a CD-ROM like the other collections of Traveller books. When the release occurs is unclear. Based upon Marc's previous release schedules it will be at best sometime in the summer.

Beyond that I know nothing more.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #22
wolf90

Quote:
A credit toward Pyramid or Warehouse 23 digital titles seems like a good way to be fair to customers with unusable JTAS credit. A general credit (that would apply to hard-copy materials too) would be more than fair.

Personally, however, I would have liked the opportunity to sign up for JTAS after the expiration of the licensing agreement just so I could download all the back catalog of JTAS articles to read them off-line, even if I didn't get any credit for unused time.
As a subscriber that has over a year's worth of credit in JTAS, I couldn't agree with either of these concepts more. Three thumbs up here! That being said, give me 30 days to copy what I wish off the archives. That was one of the best features of JTAS to begin with!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
As a subscriber that has over a year's worth of credit in JTAS, I couldn't agree with either of these concepts more. Three thumbs up here! That being said, give me 30 days to copy what I wish off the archives. That was one of the best features of JTAS to begin with!

D.
Since SJ Games doesn't own the license to distribute Traveller works anymore I don't think that is going to work.

Supposedly Far Future Enterprises and SJ Games are working on a deal on how FFE can distribute the G:Traveller line and JTAS. So you'll will, if all goes well, have the option to buy it from FFE.

I too asked for a refund or whatever. Per SJ Games they are "working on a solution to that right now and we will let all those affected know soon". I'm not chomping at the bit for the credit, I feel I got what I wanted from JTAS, made my one copy of every article I wanted to keep, and got my monies worth. I did pay for nearly a year more of JTAS and would like to use that money on other SJGames products, but its not like I'm out here freezing in the snow with only a Munchkin expansion to save me.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #24
SteveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
From what I've been told, Far Future Enterprises gets the copyright and archives of JTAS and all the GURPS books at the start of next year. From there, the plan is to release the collection on a CD-ROM like the other collections of Traveller books. When the release occurs is unclear. Based upon Marc's previous release schedules it will be at best sometime in the summer.

Beyond that I know nothing more.
Based on a quick look through the Far Future Enterprises web site, I see that there are Big Floppy Book and CD editions of the old print JTAS, but I don't see any sign of a republication of the SJ Games on-line JTAS.

Any update on this?
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #25
SteveS

Default forum custom

Also, I hope I'm correctly following forum customs by asking for new information on an old topic by replying the most applicable previous discussion, rather than starting a new thread. Apologies if not.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #26
ak_aramis

Quote:
Based on a quick look through the Far Future Enterprises web site, I see that there are Big Floppy Book and CD editions of the old print JTAS, but I don't see any sign of a republication of the SJ Games on-line JTAS.

Any update on this?
No update that I'm authorized to release at this time. But yes, there is movement on it.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #27
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormet View Post
Are there any other updates except this? :)
As soon as I am cleared to tell you, I'll tell you. Marc has previously stated that he intends to make the SJG-JTAS material available. He has previously stated that he plans to make the GT & GTIW material available as well. I can tell you progress has been made, but not exactly what.

Note that Marc IS collecting articles for the irregular and infrequent Imperiallines - if you want to see it come sooner, email Marc. Better still, provide material to him. (But note: Imperiallines is primarily to support T5...)
Old 09-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #28
SteveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
No update that I'm authorized to release at this time. But yes, there is movement on it.
It seems like you're the person that offers these can't-say-much updates. Are you some sort of employee or contractor for Marc, or just someone with some inside information who isn't authorized to share it?
Old 09-11-2016, 04:16 AM   #29
ak_aramis

Quote:
It seems like you're the person that offers these can't-say-much updates. Are you some sort of employee or contractor for Marc, or just someone with some inside information who isn't authorized to share it?
In between. I run his BBS. I wind up with drafts of all sorts of interesting things. I've been sent several CD drafts that are not yet for sale and have not yet been formally announced. At least one of them I expect to not get released, at least not in the near future.

I previewed and improved some OCR on one CD that has since been released; not everything on that CD is OCRed. And what is OCRed on that disc still ain't perfect, but at least it's reasonably searchable now.

All I can legitimately say is that progress is being made on making the SJG JTAS and GT material available again. I don't know the contractual side, I do know that Marc has the material in a readable format. And when Marc makes the announcement via email, I'll make certain it gets made here, too, presuming Loren doesn't beat me to it.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 AM   #30
SteveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
In between. I run his BBS.
. . . And when Marc makes the announcement via email, I'll make certain it gets made here, too, presuming Loren doesn't beat me to it.
Cool. Thanks.

Tags
jtas, traveller