Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2022, 10:47 AM   #21
Varyon

Default Re: big brawler backup weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
To me at least the Improvised Kitchen of Doom was overwhelmingly the best answer.
Yeah, I agree this is probably thematically the most appropriate answer. Indeed, OP noted that typically "she is fine, whit [sic] whatever or whomever she can grab to defend herself," which I took to assume she was adept at turning common kitchen implements into effective weapons of self-defense. But OP wanted a dedicated weapon she would also have on hand, and in that case I think the first response nailed it with the tonfa. Optionally, make it out of metal instead of wood to enhance its durability. Iron is generally around 10x as heavy as wood (I used oak as a reference, as I think that's what a lot of traditional tonfas are made of). I believe tonfas have MinST 6, and ST 20 is a bit over 10x as strong as ST 6, so she could get away with using a (pair of) full-size metal tonfa (although to make it more wieldy, she may want to make it a bit thinner, so she can use it as well as an ST 10 character uses a normal tonfa rather than as well as an ST 6 character does). Of course, if using the optional rules from A Matter of Inches, keeping them made of wood and at MinST 6 may be more worthwhile.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:39 PM   #22
Rasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
You mean a weapon where you're seeking to defend a fixed position, and in fear of your life, might not give much of a damn about bashing about the decor (which you can afford to replace anyway), and you're likely to have ample time to prepare?

Not really comparable to the bloke who draws a sword on Big Mama, looking at her all the while, and may well not be courteous enough to allow her to go for and ready the partisan. (Because, after all, this is a guy who's drawing on an unarmed woman in the first place.)
Just a pair of questions:

1) How widespread is armed violence across the city streets?
If the answer is "it's quite common" or worse, then would be reasonable for houses and shops to be provided with some means of defence for their occupants. Things like reinforced doors and windows, magic protection circles, alchemic potions, polearms, crossbows and throwing weapons may be felt as a necessity against troublemakers.

2) Is Big Mama the only one skilled fighter among the tavern personnel or there are other people capable to brandish a weapon as well?
If Big Mama isn't alone, a polearm in good sight can be an optimal choice to grab behid the counter in order to come in aid to a threatened co-worker or to placate an armed fight between customers. Even in numerical disadvantage, a skilled Spear/Polearm wielder can keep at bay two or even three swordsmen* if the fight spaces are not too cramped.

* street swordsmen armed only with one-handed swords, with no shields or bucklers wielded with the other hand.

Anyway, large tables and a counter with a good amount of space in its behind may actually favourite someone having a longer thrusting weapon, because they would constitute an impedment a wielder of a relatively short weapon for closing against a Reach 2 thruster, the latter just needing some space behind him/her in order to manouevre the weapon's pole.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #23
Randover

Thanks everyone for your answers.

About the situation in the city.
As I said it is city of wizards. It is bit pricey for normal citizins to live in. It's aim is to house as much wizards as possible (so they are not messing up rural/mundane areas) and to lure adveturers to purchase expensive gear and services, Wizards live in the city because of comfort like hot flowing water, heathing and weather controll.

So violence happens but tend to follow the adventurers.

"Big Mama" restaurant has somewhat notorious reputation. Because it has a history of attracting brawls. Older dwarven ladies are the staff of the place. They are usualy retired and love to chat but have temper and there service might be seen as lacking.
Since it is no mana zone (and only one accessable to public.) Part of the patrons are veteran battle-mages. Since the no mana part means, you don't burn half a city if you get into a drunk fight.
Many of the secret meetings also take place there, since there no better protection from mind reading and spying then no mana zone.
And lastly it is a to go to place for adventurers seeking favors from dwarves, because many dwarven bussiness men and crafts men visit there mothers here. And the eldery dwarven ladies are all too eager to share who the best smith is or who is looking for extra muscle for hire.

So is the worst place to be? No, definetly not. But for relatively tranquil city of scholars, wizards and higher class society, this one definetly stands out.
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 08:20 PM   #24
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randover View Post
since there no better protection from mind reading and spying then no mana zone.
And lastly it is a to go to place for adventurers seeking favors from dwarves,
A NMZ will not protect you from a lip reader with a vision enhancement spell outside the zone. Mundane privacy might help you but a small NMZ has its' limits.

My characters would never go there but my characters buy magical protections.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:48 PM   #25
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A NMZ will not protect you from a lip reader with a vision enhancement spell outside the zone. Mundane privacy might help you but a small NMZ has its' limits.

My characters would never go there but my characters buy magical protections.
Heck...

Lip Reading + Acute Vision + a level or four of Nightvision works mana, no mana no matter.

Also Acute Hearing...

Both of above cheaper pointswise than the magic route.

Small Advantages can be fun!! I once did a character for whom that was the entire concept (at the beginning). Build on 150 pts + 40 disads + 5 perks. I had 90 pts of Advantages the only 4 of which had a cost in double digits. Luck at 15 pts was the most expensive. 19 total advantages at roll up. An immensely talented, sixteen year old bundle of impulses who only needed 4 hours of sleep a day.

Last edited by Witchking; 12-13-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Witchking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brawling, low-tech, martial arts, tonfa