Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #1
Rhino

Default Grenade Area of Effect

Do you measure grenade area of effect (such as alchemist’s fire) the way you measure light source radius or the way you measure spell area of effect?
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:56 AM   #2
Polkageist

Default Re: Grenade Area of Effect

Spell I believe.
So a 1-yard area of effect is 1 hex, 2 yards is a hex and surrounding, etc.

Light sources, if I remember off the top of my head correctly, are larger as the point-source is defined as the hex it's in so you get a hex 'for free' in a way. Thus the 1-yard light source area (source hex, and surrounding hexes) is equivalent to the grenade/spell's 2-yard area.

In retrospect, I kinda wish the two were standardized so that both followed the same rules but I think there are some spells that use the light source method? IDK, this is why we love gurps :D
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
Spell I believe.
So a 1-yard area of effect is 1 hex, 2 yards is a hex and surrounding, etc.

Light sources, if I remember off the top of my head correctly, are larger as the point-source is defined as the hex it's in so you get a hex 'for free' in a way. Thus the 1-yard light source area (source hex, and surrounding hexes) is equivalent to the grenade/spell's 2-yard area.

In retrospect, I kinda wish the two were standardized so that both followed the same rules but I think there are some spells that use the light source method? IDK, this is why we love gurps :D
That's a good way to conceptualize light source radius. Thanks.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
tbone

I had the same question, and posted Kromm's answer here for posterity.

It's as Polkageist describes.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote