Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2020, 02:33 AM   #121
coronatiger

Default Session 37 (2020-11-29)

27th of Rama, year 412 (continued)

Xipil asked the officer to tell us what was going on with all the troop movements. The officer pondered for a moment, then said he had to go; an important message had arrived. Leaving, he just said we could take what we wanted. He didn’t like Xipil’s question, or perhaps he saw beyond the disguise and really disliked what he saw.

I asked the others if we should find the quartermaster, and even though Wolfram was uncomfortable among all these people, he asked Xipil where we should go, since Xipil and Nujan had observed the camp while it was being built. Supplies were on the south side, Xipil informed. Wolfram visibly pulled himself together and joined us in going there. There was much traffic, but Yana and I wove easily through the throng, unlike our larger companions.

There were a few tents where there looked to be weapons, each guarded by two soldiers. Unlike the other visitors here, we didn’t have paperwork for our requisition, so I tried telling them Lord Mir sent us. The soldiers at the most promising tent were reluctant to let us in, saying that they didn’t have any extra weapons, and it didn’t seem like they believed my claim to know their lord. I assured them we wouldn’t take many weapons, we only needed replacements for my friend there; I pointed at Wolfram.

Wolfram needed larger weapons, so we walked over to the tent where the “troll weapons” were stored. The guards there said they hadn’t expected the troll brigade quite yet, but I told them we were irregulars. They wanted to know which company we belonged to, and I told them “Mir’s Friends, haven’t you heard about us?”

Wolfram showed the officer inside which weapons needed replacement, a flail and a bastard sword. The officer opened a chest and took out a sword from it, but Wolfram pointed at another and said he wanted that one. The officer left to get a flail elsewhere and bade us wait, supervised by the two guards. He returned a few minutes later, with a good-quality flail. He had Wolfram sign a document, and wanted me to verify when he saw that Wolfram wrote that it was “general Imirel Aldera” who had authorized the requisition. Thank You, Ashtar, for giving me this aura of trustworthiness.

Our next stop was the food and water supply. On the way there, I mentioned we had two options: Either we could remain with Lord Mir to “keep him grounded”, or we could seek information in Sam. Xipil added that the latter was wise, considering our ultimate goal of tracking down Gritt, who currently possessed one of Your priestesses. Nujan had a tingling feeling that told him to go south, so Sam sounded good to him. That would let us stay together for a few more days. Now that the spear was delivered to its owner, Nujan had no more excuses to remain abroad; Queen Isa had ordered him to go home.

There were queues to get supplies, so when Yana, Grogg and I lined up for water, Xipil and Nujan took Wolfram off to the side. When it was our turn, I informed the soldier that Lord Mir sent us, and along with a smile and a confident tone of voice, that was enough. We swapped Grogg’s barrel for a full one, and even got a tap to put in to make it easier to draw water from the barrel.

The line for food rations was shorter, and I easily charmed the man in charge there, too, who said we could have as much as we wanted; who was he to deny Lord Mir anything? We stuffed enough rations into Grogg’s sack so we’d have food for a week.

Nujan had gone to look at the camp, Xipil said, when we found him and Wolfram. Wolfram had thought about our quest, and felt it was too risky to go up against demons. He wanted to consult his order in the Prince’s Cities. I didn’t mind that, but others felt that this was a bit too far away. Wolfram said we could follow the army instead, and when they liberated Ur, we could seek advice from Niffi or someone else on the Council of the Twelve. Grogg agreed that demons were even more difficult to handle than dragons. As the liberation of Ur was far from guaranteed, especially since we didn’t know that this was what Lord Mir intended, Wolfram proposed torturing the Tivito prisoner for information about demons. I’m not squeamish, but there are limits to what I’ll do, at least without a direct order from You, and I didn’t need Yana’s silent urging not to agree to this. I simply pointed out that none of us had the necessary skills.

Changing the topic, I asked Grogg if he’d let me buy the Larma handkerchief off him, the one that Kraa had brought. I claimed I needed something tangible to remind myself that Kraa wasn’t an idiot all the time. I felt bad about lying to Grogg, but it worked. He didn’t even want any payment for the handkerchief. It was obvious that Grogg had been in possession of it, and I put it away without looking too closely at the filthy rag. The real reason I wanted it was to help me pose as a Loyalist. I thought displaying it to Larma people might gain me goodwill.

Xipil and Wolfram decided they wanted to head for the stone circle east of here, and Grogg agreed, saying he had a hunch we should go there. I asked him if Kraa had told him to say that. Grogg denied it, but it was obvious to anyone that he really thought that Kraa wanted him to go to the stone circle. The way to Grogg’s heart goes through Kraa, so I told everyone that I too thought that the stone circle should be our next destination. Grogg frowned at me, clearly suspecting some kind of trickery. Maybe if I can convince myself that Kraa isn’t really a bird, I can eventually come to like it, and then I won’t have to lie to Grogg anymore. I felt a twinge in my stomach, and thought it was because I considered liking the disgusting thing, but I soon discovered I was bleeding. It was that time of month again, and I knew I needed to make an effort to remain my good, old, likable self. The bloody full moon would soon drain my powers away, making me even crankier unless I watched myself.

Lord Mir had stationed people at the stone circle, so our plan was to go there, check for wraiths, and verify whether the demon’s crypt had been breached. We’d send word to Lord Mir with his men if necessary.

Nujan took his time, so Xipil went to find him. Nujan wanted us all to talk to Lord Mir one last time before leaving, and gave me a sheet of paper. I read what it said to the others. It was a list of suggested laws for areas controlled by Lord Mir. The first item said that Ashtarites would be allowed to build places of worship, and that we shouldn’t be prosecuted by the law just for our beliefs. The second item repeated the same, more or less, for followers of Tiri, like Wolfram. Then there were suggestions for laws that human, elf, dwarf, troll and cat-folk slaves shouldn’t be sold from one owner to the next, and that they should be allowed to buy their freedom. The last item stated that all enlightened races should have free use of Lord Mir’s roads.

I agreed with everything Lord Mir had written, although it seemed like an attempt to buy our continued goodwill. I suspected he wanted something from us, but said nothing to the others in case I was wrong. We headed into camp to find the nobleman. Nujan asked if we could just traipse right into the war camp. I told him that I’d go in front of our party and smile, and that would make it all right. “Haven’t you noticed that yet?” I teased.

A soldier waved us to the side when we were about halfway to the command tent, and we followed him to a smaller tent where Lord Mir was receiving a foot massage from a camp follower. Lord Mir nodded to her, and she withdrew. He offered wine and stronger drink and bade us sit down.

I told Lord Mir I thought his suggested laws sounded wise. Lord Mir asked what we’d do if it was we who controlled his army. I confessed having no knowledge of strategy or politics, but Xipil proposed cutting the supply lines between Ur and Larma’s homeland. Wolfram believed that those occupying Ur would capitulate if Lord Mir could isolate them for long enough. The nobleman added that it would help his popularity with the locals if he could free the city. Xipil thought it was important to secure the Council’s vault.

Lord Mir said that it seemed like we didn’t want him to go east, but he needed someone to go there. Of course, I thought, here we go. Lord Mir needed us to go to another stone circle, east of Byblos, the capital, to see if Kabal were up to something there. He insinuated some sinister connection between Amrosh and Kabal, which Yana resented. She never spoke up, but I saw her eyes flare angrily for a moment.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:49 AM   #122
coronatiger

Lord Mir held the opinion that it was better for demons to be released than to be controlled by his enemies, and made us agree to that, and to promise to check out the stone circle within two weeks. He expected a report from the nearest stone circle, the one we originally had thought to visit, in the morning, at latest. Wolfram and Xipil wanted to wait for that report, in case we had to change our plans again. Lord Mir offered us this tent, and began to leave. At the tent flaps, he turned to Nujan and informed him that his brother was in Sam.

As this tent was large enough to house trolls, I put up my own, much smaller tent in a corner. Yana and I crawled inside. It was nice and cozy in there, but dark enough that Yana couldn’t see much. My own night vision was still working, but I knew it would fail before long. Yana asked what I had talked to Lord Mir about, back in his command tent. I told her she didn’t want to know, and asked if we couldn’t practice diplomatic speech instead of talking about that.

We eventually lay down to sleep, but Xipil scratched on the canvas and woke us before long. He informed us that the report had arrived: Tivito had reached the stone circle first. I asked if we were leaving immediately, and he said yes. We packed up and were on our way in less than five minutes. It was clear that Wolfram was relieved to put the throng behind us. That the soldiers were partying loudly put another strain on him. The guards watched us leave, and I smiled and waved as usual.

When we had walked for a few minutes, Xipil stopped and pulled out a piece of string, and a short, faint flash of light erupted from it. I asked what he was doing, and he answered that he made it so he could see better. Wolfram added that he was using magic to do so, as if that wasn’t obvious. I told everyone that once we crossed the river, we shouldn’t travel by night, as that could get us into trouble. Anyone could use the king’s highway, at least during the day, and once we left it, I didn’t think we’d be reported unless we did something suspicious, like traveling after dark.

Wolfram suggested that Xipil or Nujan scouted ahead so we wouldn’t stumble onto something unpleasant, like people. Xipil and Nujan decided to both go. They both have good eyes, better than normal people, but they don’t have Your blessing of night vision. I held Yana’s hand so she wouldn’t trip in the dark. I expected that tomorrow night, I wouldn’t be able to do that, but hopefully, we’d be in Sam by then.

28th of Rama, year 412

The sun came up, and we still walked on. We had decided to push ourselves, to get to Sam as quickly as possible. Rocks and boulders gave way to bushes and trees. I excused myself to reapply bandages behind one of the bushes. When I got back, Nujan asked if we should take to the road, now that we were approaching Sam. It would be faster, and we didn’t think there’d be many Larma troops this close to Sam. In fact, the road was completely deserted, and Xipil reported that there hadn’t been anyone there for days.

After a while, Xipil noticed a lookout platform south of the road. It struck me as decidedly unlike Larma to set up something like that, and I suggested we ignored it and moved on. Xipil applied some makeup to Grogg, to make his metal-infused skin less noticeable. Wolfram accused Xipil of using magic, and Xipil asked if Grogg minded, but Grogg only grunted; he didn’t even care enough to bother to answer properly. Wolfram threatened Xipil with a fist to the face if he tried casting spells near him unannounced. Xipil claimed there was something strange with Grogg’s skin, and Grogg patted himself, but found nothing out of the ordinary. I asked if I could examine him. It looked like his skin was cracking up. I though maybe he had an allergic reaction, or perhaps he had spent too much time in the sun. Anyway, it wasn’t dangerous, but it would be wise to keep an eye on the development.

Xipil put on clothes and his false beard. That seemed to make him itch, and I asked if he had the same thing as Grogg. He didn’t think so. I pushed him, believing him to hold something back, and Xipil said this seemed like skin shifting. He asked Grogg if that was something that happened to trolls. Absolutely not! Grogg grabbed Xipil and touched his skin. “Hm…” he said and let the lizard man go.

We continued towards Sam, and noticed more lookout platforms along the road. On our right, the land grew swampier, and the road started sloping down around noon. The feeling of coming home felt good, like an unseen caress on my mind.

A couple of hours after eating lunch, Xipil and Nujan reported that the road ahead was blocked. We were coming up on the checkpoint where Larma troops had delayed us when we left Sam with Rhuk. The thirty or forty people waiting by the two buildings here did not look like Larma soldiers, though. I believed I’d get us past without trouble, so we just continued walking once Wolfram had put on his cloak. While it covered his armor, his size and his visored face made it obvious he was a warrior. Grogg yawned, and I realized that he had been slowing down recently. He must have had much sleep to catch up on after using the needle for so long, and continuing well past our shifted bedtime was taking its toll.

Ten militiamen made for a peculiar welcoming committee, waiting in the road at the checkpoint. As we approached, the others perked up. I recognized one of the faces in the back. Rhuk and I had met Adan a couple of times in a certain tavern down in Sam. He had connections to the Farmers’ Republic, as far as I could recall. When we were close enough, I called his name and waved. One of the soldiers in the road glanced back at him, and then looked at me and declared, “Welcome to Free Sam!” The militiamen stood aside so we could pass.

I noticed two Aldera soldiers standing on the corner of one of the houses, with horses nearby, and I mentioned them to my companions when we were out of hearing. The name the militiamen had given to the city was indicative of the Farmers’ Republic being in charge, for they called themselves the Free State, at least when no outsiders could overhear them.

I felt as if we were passing through a veil. We hadn’t seen a single traveler since leaving Lord Mir’s encampment, but the road ahead of us was in regular use. Far ahead, I could see my beloved home city. There was a large camp on the north side of Sam, a little away from the road. I suspected it of being a military camp, but it was impossible to see from this distance whether the tents were arranged haphazardly or according to military regulations.

We walked on, and Xipil asked if it would be possible to take a private bath under the stars tonight. I told him anything was possible in Sam, as long as one had the money to pay for it. I’d see what I could do, though. My word carried weight at the chapel, I told him, and my influence there wouldn’t exactly lessen when they learned I had become a Slitherer.

When we got closer, we could see apparent Aldera guards outside the camp, and lots of people were drilling with weapons inside. There was a line of men waiting to enter, and they seemed to be called inside, one after another. A group of mercenaries walked right past the line. It was an Aldera recruitment camp, then. We didn’t have to worry about them.

The guards at the city gates made no effort to hinder anyone. When we got in, I thought the city felt surprisingly normal, and not what one might have expected from all the rumors of worker strikes and food shortages. I led the way towards Your headquarter, weaving through alleys to get Wolfram away from the throng, not that I thought that the city was particularly crowded. It just felt normal. It felt like home. I smiled and squeezed Yana’s hand. The only thing I noticed out of the ordinary was city guards not making an effort to hide their sympathies for the Farmers’ Republic.

I had asked the others what kind of accommodations they wanted, and only Grogg wanted to stay away from Your domicile. Part of the building is a hostel for visiting initiates, although other people can stay there too, if we trust them. We left Grogg at an inn across the road, and Xipil reminded him to take a bath. I didn’t mention that many of the inn’s patrons would be Ashtarites. Grogg would only be upset. It’s a convenient place to meet with non-believers, close to home, but not holy ground.

Yana wanted to stay with me, in my room, in spite of assurances that there would be no snakes in the bedrooms and warnings that I might become grumpy in the near future; it was that time of the month. Yana said she had noticed, and didn’t mind. According to her, I was usually so effervescent that a mood dip would only bring me down to her level. I offered to have another bed brought in, but Yana claimed she’d rather share my cot, if it was all right with me. She was more than welcome to. Wolfram, Nujan and Xipil would get their own rooms, of course.

We entered through the rear, and Wolfram looked with interest at the guys practicing their weapon skills in the back yard. I greeted them without intending to stop, but Radek laughed, “What have you done to your beautiful, dark hair, Nuur-Karif?” I turned to him. “Shh! It’s a disguise!” Then I burst out laughing, too. “But seriously, am I not pretty as a blonde?” I batted my lashes at him exaggeratingly, twirling a strand of hair in my fingers for emphasis.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:09 AM   #123
coronatiger

Oklan, another acquaintance, greeted me from behind the desk at the hostel reception. There were enough rooms available for all of us, and I got my old room. Had the place been packed, it would have been occupied, but since I was a semi-permanent resident here, that room was reserved for me if at all possible. It was neither big nor lavishly decorated, but it was home. I had no need of luxury. I made arrangements for Xipil to have his private bath on the roof, and for a tub to be brought to my room. I also asked if Rhuk was in town, and learned that she would attend the Meet tonight. Xipil asked if we were going to the chapel, and I replied that we would go in an hour or two, for the Meet. There would be time for some refreshment first. I warned Wolfram that the chapel would be crowded, so he’d be prepared if he decided to come.

Xipil asked if there was a laundry service here, and Oklan said that we should bring our dirty clothes down as soon as possible. Wolfram asked about weaponsmiths, receiving a warning that weapons are expensive for the time being, since practically everyone were signing up as mercenaries.

I informed my friends, but mainly Nujan and Wolfram, that since I was the one placing the order, it wouldn’t cost them anything to stay here, unless they decided to make special requests on their own, obviously, but we would appreciate a small donation, if they felt they could afford it. Xipil was one of us, of course, and I had hopes for Yana, who was staying with me anyway. Nujan placed two gold coins on the desk and declared that he wanted to leave us on good terms. I thanked him and said I hoped he didn’t leave without saying goodbye first. Nujan thought that was unlikely, as he needed to rest up after our long walk.

Finally at home in my room, I emptied my backpack on the floor and put all my clothes in a pile. I added the filthy handkerchief and my used bandages before putting the rest of my gear back and stuffing the backpack under my bed. “Do you have anything that’s clean?” I asked Yana, gathering up her clothes, too. “No, not really. You’re not sending all our clothes to the laundry, are you?” she asked, worry tingeing her voice. “I thought you said we were going to the chapel tonight. What are we going to wear?” “Oklan is bringing up my stuff from storage. There are several dresses there, and you can borrow whichever one you want,” I assured her.

We were both stark naked when I peeked out the door, dirty laundy in a large bundle under my arm. “Are you going downstairs like that?!” Yana exclaimed from the bathtub, aghast. I had insisted she bathe first. She was my guest, after all. I exchanged my bundle for the clean stack waiting outside and explained to Yana that holding rank in the faith came with some privileges. If I needed to, I could drop blood-soaked garments outside my door in the middle of the night and expect them to be cleaned within the hour, if not necessarily completely dry. The pungent scent of camphor spread through the room when I brought the clean pile inside. It wouldn’t do for moths to eat holes in my clothes while I was away.

I pulled up a stool and began washing Yana’s back and hair. After a while, I twitched, and Yana admonished, “If you’re bleeding again, you’d better come into the tub. There’s room for two, and I can do your back from here.” Her washing was finished; it just felt good to rub her back and shoulders, so I had continued. I soaked a cloth and wiped the small, red stain from the stool, before climbing into the tub. Yana dangled her legs over the sides to give room for me in front of her. She took a new cloth and worked on my back while I took care of my front and extremities. Washing my hair, Yana commented that my dark roots were growing out, and that the dye was beginning to fade. We should probably color my hair again soon.

“This is nice, isn’t it?” Yana murmured against my back. “There’s still some time before we have to go to the chapel, right?” I confirmed that it was. She continued, “Why don’t you lean back and relax? If you don’t mind, I’ll put my feet back inside the tub. They’re getting a bit chilly.” I did as Yana instructed, and she pulled in her legs, pushing my knees apart as she put her feet into the water in front of me.

“Pretty Nuur-Karif! We haven’t known each other for even a month, so it’s remarkable how much I care for you.” Yana moved her hands off my shoulders and wrapped her arms around me, seizing my breasts. I squirmed, but she told me to relax, and began to hum. I twitched when she started massaging me, and the nice vibration against my back stopped. “I thought I told you to relax,” she chided. “Sorry, it was the cramps,” I apologized. “You trust me, right? There’s no more of that ‘Yana is a sorceress who messes with my emotions’ nonsense? Right?” I assured her that I had abandoned that misconception long ago, relatively speaking, but confessed I still couldn’t make head or tail of what I was feeling. “Then all is as it should be. You’ll figure it out, eventually. I’m not leaving you anytime soon.” I thought I could detect amusement on her voice, but that didn’t make any sense.

Yana continued, “I’ve discovered a way to relieve the cramps, at least for a little while. It’s kind of messy, and I haven’t heard of anyone else doing it, not that I go around talking to just about anyone about stuff like this, but if you’re willing to try, we can see if it works for you too. The bathtub should contain the mess.” “Sure, go ahead,” I agreed. Yana leaned to the side to reach around me, then she stuck a finger inside my … “Holy Mother of Snakes! What are you doing?!” I burst out of the bathtub, spilling water all over the floor, nearly tipping then entire thing over, and Yana with it.

Instincts I didn’t know I had made me grab a towel and cover myself, but when my brain caught up with me, I dropped it on the floor and began to soak up the spill. It wouldn’t do to damage the floor. “Listen, Yana,” I began. “I like you well enough. Actually, I like you a lot, more than our short time together would suggest. I care for you too, a lot, and I thought I could trust you. No, I do trust you, but this… However much it confuses me, I love being around you. When we touch one another, it feels so good it’s almost scary. It’s like being buried in a snake pit, and trust me, that’s a compliment. It’s practically blasphemous! That I even allow myself to think such thoughts speaks volumes. I’m so glad that you accept my faith! If I had to choose between Ashtar and you, that would destroy me!” I realized I was rambling on, and took a deep breath while twisting the drenched towel over a bucket. I looked deep into Yana’s eyes; she was still sitting in the bathtub. “I want you in my life, in my arms, in fact. I want to feel your body against mine. I want you to hold me, to comfort me and soothe me. But I need to draw the line somewhere. It’s not like we’re married or anything! You’re a girl, for crying out loud!” Yana stood up, dripping wet, one fist on an out-thrust hip, the other hand making gestures in case my eyes failed to latch on to her perfect bosom. “I’m a woman, thank you very much! Now hand me one of those,” she demanded, pointing at our towels.

Surprisingly, she began helping me with the spill I had made instead of drying herself off. “I’m sorry, Yana. Let’s not be angry with each other,” I apologized. Yana replied, “I’m not angry with you. I was just trying to make a point, but let me be clear: I’m my own woman, and I can do what I very well please with my own body. You’re a grown woman, too, and nobody should tell you what you can or can’t do with yours. I’ll respect whatever boundaries you set, and I apologize for overstepping just now. I just thought, since you’d let me go all the way before, that I could again; you did say to go ahead.” “I did what?!” I exclaimed, jaw dropping to the floor. “Yes, back at the Evening Fort. I was lying between your legs and working my magic when we were so rudely interrupted by your friends. Don’t you remember?” “That wasn’t me! That was the demon Gritt! I told you that I had been possessed,” I explained.

Yana leaned over the bathtub and vomited. I hurried to her side and held her hair out of the way. “I do remember, though. And you gave me the most wonderful feeling I’ve ever had – I recall shivering with ecstasy – but at the same time, it felt like I was riding along inside my own body while someone else controlled it. I did explain all about that, didn’t I?”

Once Yana was done retching, she sat down on the floor, exhausted. I poured her a cup of water and let her rinse her mouth. She spat into the bathtub. “We certainly made a mess, didn’t we, if not the one I intended,” Yana said, still slightly out of breath. “And you did explain about the demon possession. I guess it just didn’t take, or perhaps I was being a little emotional, a little unprepared, when you repeated it just now. So… Just to be clear: We can be naked together, and touching is fine, as long as we stay away from each other’s nether regions?” She looked at me expectantly, making my heart drum against my chest. “Yes, that’s fine,” I replied, somewhat out of breath myself. “As I said, I rule my own body, and hereby declare that if you should ever feel the desire to do so, Nuur-Karif, you may freely explore every part of me, with no need for reciprocity. Oh, and by the way, you should staunch that bleeding. There’s no purpose to our cleaning the floor if you’re going to bleed all over it.” As I was still wet from the bath, I hadn’t discerned the red droplets running down my thighs.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:31 AM   #124
coronatiger

Ten minutes later, we were dry and dressed, Yana in blue and I in brown. We had mopped up the water from the floor, and I had alerted Oklan to our little accident in the tub. He would take care of it. Yana and I knocked on Nujan’s door and said it was time to go to the chapel for those who wanted to come. Nujan thought about it for a moment before agreeing to join us, and I gave him a warm smile. I gave the same message to Wolfram, who chose to remain in his room, but allowed us to say a prayer for him. Xipil’s message was more like a statement that we were going to the chapel, not really an offer to choose whether to go or not. As an initiate who hadn’t been to a chapel recently, I expected him to come. Also, he had asked for it when we got here.

Outside the chapel, I asked Xipil to demonstrate to Nujan how to cleanse his feet, hands and tail properly. Since Xipil also had a tail, it just made sense. Yana and I did our feet and then our hands, as usual. Something about Yana called out to me, and I whispered to ask her if she would like to be initiated to Your faith. She indicated that it might be possible, and received a large smile and a hug. I determined to make sure she felt welcome.

Rhuk was there already when we entered, and she too could tell there was something special about Yana, once I had made introductions, and they hugged. Rhuk knew Xipil already, but Nujan and Yana were strangers to her. Nujan and Xipil sat down in a corner while I made the rounds, greeting friends and acquaintances and giving out hugs. The hugs were one-handed, as I pulled Yana with me through the crowd and refused to let go. Not that she tried to get away; near me was the safest place among all the snakes, and Yana clung to my hand as if her life depended on it. Come to think of it, perhaps it did. Our brothers and sisters on the floor would certainly not suffer intruders in their midst.

Greetings done, I asked Rhuk what had happened in Sam since I left. She pulled me aside, and thus Yana too, coincidentally towards Xipil and Nujan, who had found the emptiest corner. Rhuk explained that the city was placed under martial law when it looked like Larma would attack. There was some talk about giving dictatorship over the city to someone from, or at least sympathetic towards, the Free State, but in the end, the city settled for a smaller council than before. The new councilors were more or less for the Farmers’ Republic. Rhuk also told us that Aldera was recruiting, just outside the city to circumvent the king’s law. The noble houses have little authority in the cities, which is as it should be. The rumors of food shortages stemmed from Aldera buying up much food at once, but the populace was never really in danger of starvation.

A woman named Nian, bearing the rank of Serpent, led the Meet. I’ve met one or two like her, but none of higher rank. A Deathbringer would be something to behold. Nujan wrinkled his nose when he heard Nian’s name. Perhaps he didn’t like her having so similar a name.

During the Meet, Nian reminded us all that many people would go to You in the time that was coming. Otherwise, the Meet was quite ordinary, which again gave me that feeling that it was good to be home. Some congregants spoke up about their recent activities in Your service, as is usual, but I remained silent. There was much I could tell, but it just didn’t feel like this was the right time for my story to be told.

When the regular part of the Meet was concluded, Nian announced that this was an important night. Congregants could mingle or drift off as they pleased, as usual, but those who felt the calling had to remain here. Now was the time for Yana to decide. I asked her again if she would like to be initiated. She closed her eyes and formed the words of our evening prayer on her lips. I’m no lip reader, but I recognized that prayer. When Yana opened her eyes, she said yes! I gave her a big hug, and then I introduced her to Nian, saying that my good friend was ready to accept You into her heart. Nian replied that in that case, we should certainly remain.

Nujan and Xipil came up to us and told us they were leaving. Nujan was going to seek out his brother, and thanked for the opportunity to visit our chapel, repeating that the people of Kajar also respected “Hasshtar”. Yana and I gave Nujan hugs and well-wishes, in case we didn’t see each other again. I offered a hug to Xipil too, but he wasn’t that keen on it.

There were about a dozen people left in the chapel when Nian spoke up again. Rhuk had left. Nian began as I expected from an initiation ceremony, but interjected that she was pleased that so many had felt the call tonight. She warned that for some, it could be painful, but You would show the way and open their eyes. Yana was shivering when she lay down on her belly to submit to the snakes. The two other newcomers didn’t seem quite as nervous, but it was Yana that the snakes first welcomed. I gave her a hand and pulled her to her feet, and into a congratulatory embrace. She was still agitated, but worked her jaw to loosen it. She had clamped her teeth together to keep them from chattering.

What was going to happen next was for higher-ranking members, I informed Yana. Her two fellow Spawn were told the same thing by their own sponsors. Yana wanted to celebrate her initiation with me, but I said I had to be here for what came next, although I promised to meet her in our room in a little while, and then we could celebrate. Yana left with the two other Spawns.

Nian began the rites for Dagger initiation. There would be no Bearer initiation, then, as we always do initiation ceremonies in ascending order of rank. Nian brought out a cup and filled it with a syrupy liquid. We all sat down in a circle, chanting while we passed the cup round and round, and letting the snakes slither all over us. I took a small sip on each pass of the cup, although that wasn’t required, not even of the two Bearers. It wasn’t unexpected, but they both paled and started sweating heavily during the ritual. It was pure venom we were drinking, after all, if not a particularly lethal one. Once the cup was drained, the rest of us congratulated the new Daggers on their rank, and on surviving, someone joked. I shot her a look. This was no time for levity.

Once the Daggers had left, Nian spoke a prayer, and declared that someone here had a task to perform tonight. Her eyes locked onto mine, and for the first time in forever, I felt fear. I formed a quick, silent prayer in my mind, and it was as if time stood still during my devotion. Nian said I knew where to go. You would be waiting for me. I found a side passage and entered Your realm.

The road was familiar, and it felt right to follow it. It was darker here than I recalled from my last visit, but I didn’t let that bother me; it was that time of the month. A faint scent of venom and death teased my nostrils before everything became completely dark. Even blind, I knew where to step. Still, something felt different than during my last time here. Every step I made took me down, like I was going down a set of stairs. The darkness of this place, the emptiness, suffused my body and dulled my senses. Then I fell.

“Sleep, my child,” a voice hissed in the snake tongue, Shamara. I lay immobile in a deeper place than any living being should be, but I did not trespass, for I was dead. Veiled memories from my past passed through my mind, a summary of a concluded story. I recalled my metamorphosis, and a phrase whispered then that I now understood: “The fang is my weapon, all fangs are my weapon, my weapons stab. The venom enters where weapons stab, and fulfill the work.”

I was dead, circled by carrion feeders. “Kra!” A bird was the first to build up the courage to touch my corpse; it landed on my forehead. Reassured that I was truly dead, its sharp beak began to pick at my eyes. Insects and larvae tried to intrude into the space left behind by the raven’s feast, but the bird kept them at bay. Again, a remembered whisper from the past made sense to me: “All living things go to Ashtar when their time has come. All beings with the force of life can therefore have a role worthy of observance.” A loud hiss scared the carrion feeders away. Now it was snakes that surrounded me. As in other rituals I have attended, some of them approached me, and I knew two of them were the right ones for me. Those two slithered into my eye sockets and settled there. In front of me was Your serpentine face. “Look, my child! Look with the sharpest eyes of your siblings!” You radiated power and gravity.

Time passed, but in this place, it could be a second or an eon. Then another voice spoke, a voice like a thousand serpents hissing. “While a snake waits to strike, it hides among the shadows and the ferns. Charm, negotiation, deception and lies are all such hiding places for you. No snake must remain for too long in the same hiding place; all havens are jeopardized in time. The one who always charms will lose her instincts. The one who always negotiates will lose her initiative. The one who always deceives will lose her purpose. The one who always lies will lose her self. The one who hides from her allies will be exposed twice as fast. The one who hides from her siblings will turn that many snakes against her.”

Old 12-05-2020, 03:48 AM   #125
coronatiger

Again, You faced me. “Behold what I keep!” Behind You were a thousand doors, each separate, yet still the same one. You stood before them in all Your power and glory, able to call those who would pass through the doors. Beyond the doors lay what no living could see or comprehend, a world of forces and elements not found in the land of the living, a world filled with infinite beings. “Behold!” You commanded, and I could tell something was missing. I tried to focus on a faint shadow in the Beyond, the only thing there I felt I should recognize, but the nature of that world made it impossible for the shadow to coalesce, and it seemed to be dissipating.

More time passed, but time means nothing to the dead. You spoke again: “Witness my true sibling!” The shadow flickered for a moment, before fading away. “Seek my true sibling!”

1st of Ratanu, year 412

Awareness returned to my body. I was back in Your temple in Sam, in the deepest sanctum. Compared to the darkness of death, this room seemed bright as day. I touched my eyes gingerly, wondering what I would find. My eyes didn’t seem any different from before, and when I thought about it, the pain I had half-expected wasn’t there either. Nor was there any blood around my eyes, dried or otherwise. I breathed a sigh of relief.

I had moved my arms reflectively to check my eyes, but as deep as I had just gone, deeper than I had ever ventured, I probably shouldn’t have, not before praying for permission to return to the world of the living. “O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes! You have opened my eyes that I can see. If it is Your will, guide now my feet where You want me to go, and grant my arms strength and my fangs venom to vanquish those who oppose Your divine plan.”

After other visits to the realm of death, I have felt a rightness when I prayed for permission to leave. This time, a multitude of voices hissed at me. I discerned three words, “Go”, “Serve” and “Seek”. A clearer message could hardly be desired. I climbed to my feet, and realized there was another word that lingered on the edge of my understanding. I focused to grasp the word, but the effort made me dizzy.

Staggering as if I was drunk, I made my way up to the chapel. Rhuk, Nian and a younger man sat praying among the snakes. From their words, I realized they were praying for someone undergoing metamorphosis. Rhuk lit up when she saw me, but Nian gasped with trepidation. The man looked from one to the other, not quite sure what to make of the situation. He was clearly of lower rank, serving his superiors, cloistered in the temple for a time. I wondered sluggishly why the floor was coming up to meet me.

I woke in Rhuk’s lap; she was rocking me back and forth. My entire body ached. That I even was alive after this ordeal was a wonder. “You’re awake,” Rhuk declared happily, “Praise Ashtar!” She pressed me to her bosom, and I groaned. Rhuk continued, “How can anyone go through metamorphosis so quickly and survive?” Nian leaned over me, looking both relieved and concerned. Rhuk looked at Nian with fear in her eyes. “Did she…?” Nian replied, “Yes, she’s here now.” Rhuk began, “But you said that…” Nian nodded once, then shook her head. “She’s back now, and life surges through her once more.” I got the impression that Rhuk didn’t want to continue this discussion with Nian.

I tried to sit up, but I was still weak, and couldn’t get out of Rhuk’s grip. It was perhaps just as well. I felt dizzy and nauseated. My eyes felt normal, and their impairment brought on by the full moon was a blessing, obscuring the spinning of the room. The impressions I received in death made returning to life a frightening shock. Rhuk sensed that I wasn’t feeling quite like myself, and urged me to remain at the headquarters until I was ready to face the outside world again.

I opened my mouth, speaking faintly but insistently. “What do you mean, ‘so quickly’? How long was I gone? Was it me you were praying for just now? Why do I feel like I’ve broken a promise? Is there somewhere I should be? Something I should do?” Rhuk opened and closed her mouth during my diatribe, unable to get a word in between questions, but when I stopped to draw my breath, she began to speak. “You were…” I interrupted her, suddenly realizing something: “Yana!” I screamed. I pushed away Rhuk’s arms and wobbled upright, then I began to pick up speed, heading out to find my friend.

I didn’t take many steps before I stopped myself. This tore at my very soul, but I simply couldn’t put Yana ahead of You. I turned back to the others, begging You silently for forgiveness. Rhuk stood up. “I’ll get her for you.” “No, we need to talk,” I replied, eyeing her and Nian in turn. “Can you go instead?” I said to the man. “Oh, pardon my rudeness. I’m Nuur-Karif,” I apologized. His name was Bodmar. “Yana is the one I brought to the temple last night. The dark-skinned beauty with the blue dress?” Bodmar nodded. “You’ll probably find her in my room.” Bodmar dashed off.

Rhuk revealed what had happened after I descended into Your realm. Bodmar had found her, just outside the temple, and told her what I had done. Rhuk had sensed that something like this could happen, and had stayed close in case I needed support. She didn’t mention the four people who had remained with me and Nian after the Dagger ceremony, so I assumed they had risen in rank or received holy missions, or perhaps both. Nian remained silent while Rhuk spoke. Nothing was said that I shouldn’t learn.

Rhuk continued. It was now about sunrise, and I had only been gone since a little before midnight. Metamorphosis took longer than a few hours. Much longer. I couldn’t explain that, but I told Rhuk and Nian that I had received a holy mission, directly from You. However, I was completely bewildered about what to do. Was I even allowed to say this much? Rhuk was jubilant that I had been given a task from none other than You, but she dared not advise me. Nian spoke instead. “It’s your quest. You know best.” She prayed, giving blessing to my mission.

Rhuk asked us both, “Do you think the mission could be to find out what the mission is?” Nian nodded sagely. “No,” I said, “I have a fair idea about that. The Holy Mother instructed me to find her true sibling.” I described the flickering shadow I had seen during the metamorphosis, how it had been behind all those doors. “How can I even begin searching for someone when I don’t know their name or their face?” I had only seen a shadow. A terrible idea crashed into my head. “Can Ashtar’s true sibling be the shadow demon Darvan?” I hadn’t meant to speak that thought out loud.

Rhuk studied me, wonder and worry in her eyes. Nian watched me, her face growing increasingly serious before she spoke. “It has been centuries since one of your rank has heard about the other one. Once, She and He hunted through the underworld together. He had to sacrifice to guard the place whence nobody must return, sacrifice to stop the threat, a threat no one noticed because everyone’s eyes faced a sky about to rupture. With only two eyes, Ashtar lost the ability to hunt freely. Since then, she has stood watch, vigilantly guarding Death’s Door from this side.” While she lectured, my dizziness grew, and my vision blurred. Still, I noticed Rhuk’s jaw dropping; this was news to her, too.

Nian prayed, and while I could hardly make out her words, they steadied me, clearing my sight. It looked like she was feeling just as bad as I had. “If Ashtar… Ashtar… If Ashtar sent you to the living to seek the other one, something terrible… If he can pass... If the Other One doesn’t remain fully on his post…” Nian stood abruptly, grabbed my shoulders and yelled furiously, although with a motherly empathy unlike any I’ve ever felt before. “Look at me!” Her eyes lit up, wide with panic, while they stared down into mine. She whispered in Shamara, “You have four eyes, only you can hunt freely.”

Nian dropped onto her backside with an oomph. She held one hand over her forehead, as if hiding her face from me. “I am unworthy to advise you,” she continued in the common tongue. “I know nothing of this Darvan. I have said more than what I know for certain about the Other One. Only you can find…” She trailed off, not knowing what more to say. I glanced at Rhuk over my shoulder. She was speechless, but didn’t look unwell, the way Nian did and I felt.

“Where can I seek information about the Other One? Does anyone know anything?” Nian took her time to reply. She righted herself and raised her head towards me, but stopped before our eyes met. “If Ashtar sent you to our world to search… No place, no path, no being can be discounted.” A silence of uncertainty hung in the air, and Rhuk was the first to break it. “Remember that Ashtar is patient. Your task must be greater than I could ever imagine, too important to be ruined by haste.”

Nian collected herself and looked me in the eyes, although I could tell it was a struggle for her. It seemed like my eyes radiated a holiness that only she could perceive. “Only you can know. None of Ashtar’s children can see like you do. All I can see is that there are no clues in this room.” Rhuk was about to add something when we heard sounds from the hallway. Someone was using the washstands. I hoped it was Yana. Nian found her feet and straightened her clothes. Rhuk and I stood as well, and my old friend slapped herself on the cheeks to clear away the shocked expression she wore. It just wouldn’t do to appear weak to our subordinates. Choosing the lesser of two evils, I sat down again. It made a poor impression, to sit when Rhuk and Nian were standing to greet the newcomers, but I figured that was better than throwing up. The room didn’t spin as much when I was on the floor.

Last edited by coronatiger; 12-05-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:55 AM   #126
coronatiger

I reached out a hand, allowing a snake to slither up it. That soothed me even more. Since returning to the temple yesterday, I’ve felt more strongly connected to the snakes, like I can almost sense what they’re thinking. If I had taken the time to reach out to the snakes earlier, I could have concluded that it was early morning, for the overwhelming emotion I felt from them now was hunger. Feeding time was coming up, and I knew the snakes were fed first thing in the morning. I wondered if that was one of Bodmar’s duties.

A figure appeared in the doorway, and I was disappointed to see that it was Bodmar. He entered and walked up to Nian without saying a word. He gave her a respectful nod, then waited reverently for an order, but Nian remained silent, once again dignified as befits one of her rank.

A second person entered, and it was Yana! She made respectful gestures to Rhuk and Nian while darting glances at me. Yana looked beautiful, gleaming in my blue dress in a way I never could. We’re so close in height and build, you’d never think that dress wasn’t made for her. She progressed carefully along the path of fewest snakes towards me. “You’re one of us, now,” I declared joyously, displaying the snake wrapped around my forearm. “They won’t harm you!” I kissed the snake before letting it down, then I cleared a space on the floor next to me. Yana knelt there and threw her arms around me. I hugged her right back. “I was worried sick for you when you didn’t show up,” Yana whispered.

Nian and Bodmar moved over to the side of the room to speak privately, but Rhuk sat down beside me, opposite Yana. “I suppose congratulations are in order?” Rhuk asked. “Yes, you missed Yana’s initiation last night,” I beamed at my old friend. Rhuk reached a hand past me to grasp Yana’s. “Indeed. We’re always happy to welcome new brothers and sisters to the faith. But that wasn’t what I was alluding to. You two are a couple, aren’t you?” “What?!” My jaw dropped. “No, we’re just good friends! How could we be a couple, anyway? We’re both girls! Women,” I corrected. Rhuk glanced at Yana, and I turned my head to see her index finger scratching at the tip of her nose. I noticed movement in the corner of my eye, and turned my head back towards Rhuk. Had she nodded? Were the two of them signaling behind my back? I tried to ask what was going on, but it came out as a groan.

“Are you all right, Nuur-Karif?” Yana asked worriedly. “I think I turned my head too quickly,” I explained. “Ashtar spoke to me last night, and the experience was overwhelming, to say the least. We should discuss it with Xipil, Wolfram and Grogg, but for now, I need rest. And perhaps something to eat, if I can keep it down.” Rhuk agreed. “Yes, you’d better take it easy for a little while. And I’m sorry I mistook your friendship for something else. How silly of me. But I am happy for you, Nuur-Karif. You never had any close friends growing up. Don’t look at me that way. While we both care for one another, I was always a mentor first and a friend second. I sense that the two of you share something special, a bond that ties you together as equals. In Ashtar’s eyes, you outrank Yana by a good margin. Don’t let that get between you. Even so, Nuur-Karif, you possess knowledge that Yana isn’t prepared for. Any relationship is built on sharing, but there can be too much of a good thing. Take care of Yana, and don’t lay burdens on her that she can’t handle.” She turned to Yana. “Yana, you will attain rank, or not, in your own pace, according to your own heart. That is between you and the Holy Mother. Not many of us rise to Nuur-Karif’s rank, but rank in and of itself is worthless. Lead a good life and stay true to your faith, and it won’t matter if you’re Spawn or Nightstalker. When the time comes for you to make the final journey, Ashtar will welcome you with open arms.”

Rhuk shook her head and continued in a lighter voice. “Ah! Who am I to give relationship advice? Next thing you know, I’ll rattle off some old saying to make myself sound wise. What about ‘One who plays games must be prepared to lose’? Or perhaps ‘Even the simplest scheme could backfire’? Well. I’m hungry. I’ll let the two of you catch up and see about getting us something to eat.”

I frowned at Rhuk’s retreating back. I had never heard either of those sayings before. I would have suspected Rhuk of making them up on the spot, had Yana not nodded in recognition. But it wasn’t important, so I put it out of my mind. “I won’t ever do anything to hurt you,” Yana promised. Of course, she wouldn’t. Where was this coming from? I had a feeling I was missing a vital point. It was as if I wasn’t fully present when the others spoke. “Can I borrow your lap?” I asked. I would probably feel better soon. The rapid metamorphosis had really gotten to me. “Of course, you can,” Yana assured me. “I’m sorry for standing you up like I did,” I said. “I didn’t realize what Ashtar had in store for me. I promise we can celebrate later, when I’m feeling a little better.” Yana hushed me. “You just lie down and relax. I will stroke your hair, and all shall be well. Take it easy. I’ll find a way you can make it up to me. Pretty Nuur-Karif…”

Old 12-12-2020, 12:34 AM   #127
coronatiger

Default Session 38 (2020-12-05)

1st of Ratanu, year 412 (continued)

The chapel felt quiet and safe, and Yana stroked my hair gently, brushing away the dizziness. I realized the nausea was caused by hunger; it was as if all my energy reserves were depleted. Good thing Rhuk had gone to get us breakfast.

I sent Yana to fetch Wolfram and Xipil. I considered including Nujan, but as he was departing, he didn’t need to know about my experiences last night. The instruction not to hide from my allies meant that I should inform them about what I learned. Those who were staying, at least.

A few minutes later, I heard Yana’s voice explaining the ritual of cleansing to Wolfram. She said that he had to wash his feet and hands, and if he wanted to, he could wash other parts of himself, but he should finish with his feet and then his hands. That wasn’t quite right, but I decided not to correct her in front of the others. Her heart was in the right place. One begins the ritual by washing one’s feet, then working up the body to the head, finishing off with the arms and hands. Any body part washed out of order would be excluded from the ritual, I would remind Yana and Xipil later, but as long as feet and hands are washed, with feet before hands, that’s what’s important. It’s the symbolism that matters, and unless a body part is mystically defiled, it can be skipped. You don’t take offense if someone enters Your chapel reeking of the sewers, as long as they are ritually clean. Of course, one’s fellow worshippers might react poorly, so it’s best to maintain one’s hygiene.

I sat up carefully when the others entered, and lifted a snake reverently from my shoulder to the floor. I noticed that Xipil’s skin had faded, and might not be as helpful anymore when it comes to blending in to the background. I told Yana, Xipil and Wolfram that I had received a mission from You, and had to tell them and Grogg about it. Xipil asked who I was going to kill, but I told him this was a search and rescue mission. If the three of them could convince Grogg to come here, I could tell them all at the same time. The nature of the quest was such that I didn’t want to reveal it outside the chapel, so going to the inn across the street to talk there was out of the question. I was still nauseatingly hungry, otherwise I’d go and invite Grogg myself.

Rhuk returned and cast a glance at Yana as she was leaving with the others. There were three plates of food in her hands, and she put them down between us on the floor. Yana wouldn’t mind if we started eating; she knew how hungry I was. Bodmar arrived with food for the snakes, and I realized I had emptied Yana’s plate, as well as my own. They were certainly taking their time with Grogg. I tried taking a few cautious steps around the room, and discovered that I felt much better than before, if not quite as normal. The dizziness and nausea were still there, but now that they had diminished, my cramps were all the more prominent.

When Grogg arrived with the rest of my friends, I wished him welcome and gave him a heart-felt apology for disrespecting Kraa. The bird responded to its name, and I smiled. I had learned that all living beings were Yours, and worthy of respect, even though that smile didn’t come easily to my lips. Wolfram made a comment about the spirit bird not necessarily being alive. As far as I knew, Kraa had once been alive in the same way that Wolfram was now, and as it had agency, a will of its own, and still resided in this world, I deemed it Yours. It would pass through Death’s Door at its appointed time, just like the rest of us.

I showed everyone to a corner where there weren’t as many snakes, and Yana begged me impatiently to reveal the story that had made me summon them. I told of my metamorphosis, and of the quest You gave me. Xipil asked what a metamorphosis was, but I told him we’d discuss it later, while glancing meaningfully at the unbelievers, Grogg and Wolfram.

I couldn’t sense anything out of the ordinary about my eyes, but asked Xipil to take a look at them anyway, as I felt they should be different somehow. Xipil came closer than many would feel comfortable with, and turned my face to catch as much light as possible. Then he held up his hands to shade my eyes, which made them seem more like snakes’ eyes. From his brief experiments, it seemed that the darker it got, the more elongated my pupils would become. Obviously, when it got darker, it would be all that more difficult for anyone to notice. I hoped my new eyes would let me identify Your true sibling when I saw him.

Xipil said we had to relocate Krull, for he had met Your sibling. That was news to me, and I queried Xipil about it, but Krull hadn’t revealed much more, unfortunately. I opined that we still should go to the stone circle as Lord Mir had requested. Krull was headed for the Night Mirror, and the stone circle was on the way there. Xipil also recalled that Nujan had once mentioned a two-headed snake. I wondered if that could be a symbol of You and Your sibling, and determined to ask the cat person about it.

Wolfram cocked his head and said he heard someone above calling Grogg’s name. They must have had powerful lungs to penetrate all the way down to the chapel. I didn’t hear anything myself, but Xipil believed he could hear Grogg’s name on the air. We rose and left to see what was happening up above. Approaching the surface, everyone could hear the bellow. It seemed to originate in the back yard. Grogg replied, and the voice shouted that they heard Grogg, and must be let in.

The first person I saw outside was Nujan, and he waved us over when he spotted us. He also gestured to the shouter that they should calm down. It turned out to be that orc woman from the village west of the desert, the prostitute Grogg had visited. Grogg walked over to her while the rest of us met up with Nujan. The woman seemed devastated that Grogg had ruined his arm and asked what he needed, what she could do for him. She begged to let her serve him. She seemed sincere in her devotion to Grogg. I wondered what could have made her leave her village to track him down. She had to be resourceful to have made the journey alone. Orcs are held in very low regard in most of Arland.

Another cat person came bouncing along, and this was Rojan, Nujan’s brother. He had come all the way from Kajar to locate his brother. Rojan said that Nujan had told him I knew a princess. I corrected him, saying I knew a queen, all the while wondering why Nujan had singled me out; we all knew Queen Isa. However, Rojan informed me that in Kajar, only royals – and it seemed they only have princes and princesses, not kings and queens – can have names ending with the “yan” sound. It now made sense to me why Nujan had reacted so strangely when learning Nian’s name. I formed their names in my mouth, comparing them. “Noo-yan”, “Ro-yan”, “Nee-yan”.

I asked Nujan what he could tell me about the two-headed snake from their mythology. He believed it to be a creature from children’s stories, and the little he could impart was old news to me. Xipil asked if Rojan knew more. He didn’t, and confessed he didn’t like snakes very much. I confronted him by asking why he was here, if he didn’t like snakes. Rojan looked around, and realized for the first time where he was. He said he respected You, but had no desire to meet any snakes. I told him he didn’t have to, and instead asked what they were planning. Kajar? Rojan said that Nujan had to return home, but that he was going to explore the land of the humans. He believed he had relevant skills for doing so, and demonstrated knife-throwing against the targets we had set up in the back yard. Wolfram accepted his challenge to a small contest, and they were evenly matched.

Xipil asked if we could take a day of rest here in Sam before moving on. He looked like he hadn’t slept at all last night. I told him I had promised Wolfram to go shopping for weapons while we were here, and I also had to figure out how best to travel towards the stone circle. If we left tomorrow morning, that would give me time to take care of everything.

Across the yard, the orc woman was still trying to convince Grogg to let her serve him. They didn’t bother to be quiet about it, which let the rest of us know her name, Hylda. Grogg seemed unimpressed with her offers, until she proposed a massage. That lit him up, and they headed for his room across the street.

Xipil declared he was going to bed, but turned around on the stairs, just when Wolfram asked if we could go and visit the weaponsmiths. I felt fine, but asked Yana along in case the dizziness returned. Xipil had a question for me before we left, though. He asked about temples to other divinities here in Sam, particularly Tsovin and Vagan, the twin gods of the wind and the sea, who he believed were hunting the dragons. I told him what I knew, which wasn’t much beyond where each temple was located.

Nujan and Rojan asked if they could sleep on the roof, and I said it was fine. It meant that I had to track down Oklan to spread the word so nobody would panic if they saw two cats up there. Eventually, Wolfram, Yana and I were able to leave. I showed the way to several weaponsmiths, and Wolfram thought the prices were steep. He had been warned about that, and I offered him a loan, but he didn’t need it, not for the single weapon he ended up buying, which was a katar.

While weaving through town, we saw several Ratanu worshippers carrying law books and chanting, marking the first day of Ratanu’s month. Remembering that I needed to dye my hair again, we popped into an herbalist’s shop to acquire the necessary ingredients.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #128
coronatiger

I decided to ask Rhuk about transportation, so we returned to the headquarters, where we found her in her room. She reminded us that the situation wasn’t as normal as it might look at first glance. Tracking down contacts to get us across the river would be possible, though, if we couldn’t pay. I told her I had around twenty gold, and asked if she thought that would be enough. She laughed. One should be plenty. Wolfram asked about taking ship all the way to Byblos. Rhuk believed she could get us work on a boat headed upriver, but I reminded Wolfram that this boat would probably have lots of people on it, and he decided going by land was better. Rhuk warned me against trying to book passage across today. Whoever I paid was likely long gone by tomorrow.

I would like to get some rest now, visit the chapel in the evening, and then get a good night’s sleep. Both Yana and I were still exhausted from the walk to Sam, and last night hadn’t been particularly restful. Rhuk mentioned hearing Hylda scream Grogg’s name while we were out. The loud orc had taken up her old trade again, it seemed. I would have to inform her that we were using false names, if she came with us tomorrow, which looked likely. I asked Rhuk to wake me before sunset.

Yana dyed my hair again, and wrapped it up in a towel to protect it while we rested. I was still tired when Rhuk knocked on the door, several hours later. Yana and I put on clothes from our returned laundry, and went to inform Xipil and Wolfram about going to the chapel. They both agreed to come, but needed a bit to eat first. I explained about the ritual of cleansing while we ate.

There were fewer people in the chapel tonight, and I saw that the four who had witnessed me going away were not here. That strengthened my belief that they had received their own holy missions last night. Towards the end of the Meet, Nian came over and asked if I wanted to share anything with the congregation, but warned me that I wouldn’t find the next clue for my quest here. I chose to speak of the great serpent at the Evening Fort, and my tale set the chapel buzzing. Nian spoke a prayer for my mission, and wished me luck.

We didn’t stay to chat after the Meet, as we were all eager to get to bed so we’d be ready for a new journey tomorrow. We found Nujan and Rojan eating in the hostel, and Xipil asked again about Tsovin and Vagan. The twin gods share two temples here in Sam, one in the old town, and one down by the river. I didn’t know much more, and didn’t care either. Nujan said that he had heard rumors that the twin gods were the only ones to defeat a dragon, and Xipil asked if the cats wanted to come with him to their temple. I said good night, and Nujan hugged Yana and me, in case we didn’t see each other again. Wolfram said he’d come with them on the visit to the twin gods’ temple.

When we were alone, Yana announced that she had decided what she wanted as payment for being stood up: A kiss. It was so long since her last one, she had almost forgot what it felt like. I frowned and touched my cheek. Had she forgotten planting her lips there, less than two weeks ago? I could still remember the exhilarating fire blossoming from her touch. On the other hand, I had to admit to myself that her lips weren’t unique in that regard. A casual brush against any part of her could set me off that way. Why was that?

Yana looked expectantly at me, but I had no reply, not yet. When I opened my mouth, only a feeble “Er…” escaped. My brain was still sorting through the myriad thoughts that assaulted it. I tried to focus. Why was a kiss so daunting? The men I had seduced often enjoyed the touch of my lips, and survivors would say that I had enjoyed it too, but that was all an act, part of the routine to bend them to my will. Men liked being kissed, women not so much, in my opinion, although I had only my own meagre experience to go by. But a kiss could also be a symbol of affection. A mother might kiss her children, I supposed. And I had certainly kissed a fair number of snakes over the years. Maybe that was what Yana was after? A tangible declaration that I didn’t care more for snakes than I did for her?

“You shall have two,” I exulted, finally. I rested my hands on her shoulders and kissed her once on each cheek. Then I gave her a big grin, not even bothering to hide my teeth. Yana’s face was expressionless. “It doesn’t count unless it’s on the lips,” she declared somberly. What? Could it be that she actually enjoyed kissing people? It wasn’t just a seduction tool for her? Well, I had promised. And if this was what she wanted, this was what she would get.

Suddenly self-conscious, I cupped my hand in front of my mouth and blew into it. I didn’t detect any bad breath, but it was best to be on the safe side if my mouth was going anywhere near hers. “Do you mind if I brush my teeth first?” I asked. Yana decided to do the same. After going over all my teeth diligently with my brush, I licked my retracted fangs, searching with touch and taste for any liquid more viscous or acrid than saliva. I found nothing, not that I expected to, as I’ve learned to control the muscles that eject venom to perfection.

Yana was waiting impatiently when I turned around, suggesting silently that I was possibly more meticulous with my dental hygiene than was necessary. No, taking good care of one’s teeth was important. “Look, Nuur-Karif, if you really don’t want to, just say so,” Yana said. Her voice was steady, but I detected disappointment in her eyes. “I’m sorry, Yana,” I replied. “I was just thinking about how vital it is to protect one’s teeth. If my fangs rotted away, I would simply die. But about that kiss… If it’s that important to you, of course I’ll do it. It’s no big deal, really!” The disappointment faded from Yana’s eyes, only to be replaced by anger. Speaking did me no good, apparently, so I took her head between my hands and moved in. Yana closed her eyes – she was still scared of my new eyes, and hadn’t looked at them all day. I closed my eyes so I wouldn’t frighten her when she opened hers. The candle-lit room was dark enough that she might notice the change if she looked closely.

I tilted my head slightly to the side to avoid bumping noses, and then our lips met. I wasn’t sure what to expect. On the one hand, I had never felt anything special while kissing earlier. On the other hand, I remembered vividly the feel of Yana’s lips against my cheek. That was a slow burning compared to the explosion that I felt now. It was localized to my lips, but it suffused my whole body at the same time. I trembled, and my knees gave way, dropping me to the floor.

Yana looked down on me triumphantly. I had to reconsider my beliefs. A woman’s kiss was infinitely more delicious than a man’s. If this was how men felt when I kissed them, it was no wonder why I could twist them around my little finger. This was an important lesson that Yana had delivered. I gazed back up at her, beaming with gratitude. She sat down and took my hands in hers, sending shivers up my arms. “How do you feel, Nuur-Karif?” “Holy Mother,” I whispered, “Holy Mother!” Yana elaborated, “Do you realize what’s going on now? What all your confusing feelings mean?” I opened my mouth, but all I could say was another “Holy Mother!” Yana let go of one of my hands and tapped my forehead with one finger, carefully avoiding looking into my eyes. “I think I broke you,” she joked and took my hand again, squeezing it gently.

I cleared my throat. “Holy Mother… Um… The Holy Mother said that it was good. What I feel, I mean. Even though I don’t quite understand. I’m grateful to you for demonstrating how it feels to kiss a girl. Woman, sorry. It’s good that I know the potency of my own weapons.” Yana looked at me with confusion, so I changed directions. “Obviously, there are still lessons to be learned. I thank Ashtar for placing you in my path. I must understand my emotions to control them. When I can control my emotions, they can’t be used against me,” I declared elatedly. “Ashtar has shown me how to combat demons! And you will teach me what I need to learn!”

I was so pleased with myself for finally figuring it all out. It all made sense now! “No!” The sharp word was such a blow, I had to look down to check that Yana’s hands still held mine. “There are still one or two things I want to teach you, but they have nothing to do with fighting demons, or fighting anyone for that matter.” I interrupted, “If you don’t mind, I still feel weak from the kiss, and exhausted from everything that happened these last couple of days, so I’d really like to go to bed now.” “I will pose one question,” Yana stated forcefully. “But I’m exhausted too, and the bed is tempting. I don’t expect you to give me an answer immediately. Give it a good, long think. I’m no sorceress. Ashtar has confirmed this to you, so you know it’s true. Why, then, do I have this power over you? What’s so special about me?”

I nodded, indicating a promise to ponder her question methodically and thoroughly. Yana stood and helped me to my feet. They felt steady again. We blew out the candles, knelt by the bed, put one hand on the floor and interlaced fingers with the other, and spoke our evening prayer in unison:

O Ashtar! We surrender our lives to Your coils. Take us while we sleep, or grant us another day in Your service, as You will.

We undressed and crawled into bed. Yana lay behind me and placed a protective arm over me. I closed my eyes and began drifting off to sleep. “Nuur-Karif? Are you sleeping?” “Not yet,” I replied. Yana’s next words made me shiver with anticipation. “I just remembered something… I believe you said I should have two?”

Old 12-12-2020, 01:08 AM   #129
coronatiger

2nd of Ratanu, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

That second kiss had been just as earth shattering as the first one. Thankfully, I was already lying down. I had turned around, wondering how we’d find each other; my eye sight was just as poor as Yana’s, now that the moon was full. Yana, however, was used to being unable to see in the dark, and had trailed her hand up my side, eventually finding my cheek. I felt her movement via the shifting mattress as she stretched towards me. Then her sweet, soft moistness had pressed against my lips. Conflicting instincts had screamed at me; I had to get away – no, I had to let my guard down and give in. With considerable effort, I had silenced them both, determined to savor the kiss while it lasted.

I had released a small whimper when Yana pulled back, but felt no shame. I was safe with her, and could allow my weakness to show. “Sweet, innocent Nuur-Karif,” Yana had whispered. “I think you’ve had as much as you can handle for a while. Come here, and I’ll hold you while we drift off to sleep.” I had rolled around and pressed my back against her, and Yana wrapped her arms around me, holding me close, safe, as promised. The aftershocks from the earthquake sent trembling ripples through my body, but eventually, I stilled and fell asleep.

“If I’m not mistaken, you’re supposed to move it around in there, not just sucking on it while staring at me.” Yana’s voice broke through my reveries. I removed the toothbrush and spat into the small bowl. She was right. We had no time to waste. We were leaving soon.

Yana and I met Wolfram, Xipil and the cat brothers for breakfast, and Yana offered to fetch Grogg. She brought back both Grogg and Hylda. Yana informed me that when she offered them breakfast, Hylda had ignored her, saying that she could fetch food for Grogg. It looked like we had acquired an extra traveling companion. Wolfram asked right out about it, and Hylda only planted a big, sloppy kiss on Grogg’s cheek. I thought that her ignoring anyone but Grogg could soon become annoying. Wolfram asked her if she had any idea what she was getting herself into with us. She pretended not to hear him, asking Grogg instead to tell her what they would do together in the time to come. Wolfram said she had to have a strong stomach to handle the supernatural if she accompanied us. Hylda, of course, only patted Grogg on the belly and complimented him on it. Xipil asked if Grogg remembered that we had agreed to keep our names secret. Grogg confessed he thought we were done with that, but Xipil told him it was still in effect. I reminded everyone of our aliases. I was Godana, Yana was Hala, Xipil was Hisse and Grogg was Mork. We came up with Little Bear for Wolfram.

Once the meal was done, I asked everyone if they were ready to go. Even Rojan said yes, and I asked if he was coming with us, too. He would follow us to the river, at least, to say goodbye to his brother. I suggested we meet out on the street five minutes later. That should be plenty of time to retrieve our luggage. I also left a message for Rhuk that I had left. I hadn’t seen her this morning, and didn’t want to disturb her sleep if she was here, but I suspected she had gone, too. Nujan left another gold coin at the desk, and I thanked him for the donation, on Your behalf.

On the street, Grogg handed two skins of ale to Wolfram, and he decided to leave behind the water barrel when we told him we didn’t need it where we were going. Hylda helped him carry, but his sacks still looked heavier than Wolfram’s. I knew Grogg carried all our food, but there had to be more inside his sacks that that. Rojan pulled out his bolas and swung them in the air. He seemed impatient to me. Xipil also had bolas, and Wolfram wanted to try, but he didn’t know the trick.

I led the way towards the river through smaller streets to avoid the more crowded main thoroughfare. The harbor was full of people going about their business, and Yana and I left the others behind to get us transportation over to the east side. A group of boys around my age were unloading two rowboats which looked like they could take our party if we hired both of them. We said hello, and I offered a gold coin if they would take us and our friends across. The boys needed ten minutes to finish unloading. I showed the coin, and promised they could have it as soon as we were on board. Then Yana and I returned to the others.

The two cats used their tails in a strange ritual; the rest of us used our words to wish Rojan goodbye. Something must have been said while Yana and I were gone, for after Rojan had said his goodbyes, he told Wolfram that he wouldn’t hunt him down, even if someone offered to pay.

Grogg, Hylda and Nujan boarded one boat, while Xipil, Wolfram, Yana and I boarded the other one. I paid when we were all settled down, and the rowers rowed. Unfortunately for Wolfram, the other riverbank was just as packed as where we came from, and it took some convincing to get him ashore. Xipil suggested that we get a cart for our luggage, but considering Wolfram, I opined that we should get away fast, and rather find a cart at the next village.

We moved out of the throng and stopped to talk. First up were goodbyes for Nujan. He got hugs from most of us, and I told him it had been an honor to know him. Grogg told him to send word if he encountered dragons, and promised to come and take care of them. Nujan walked away to the south.

Since Wolfram was comfortable where he was, Grogg dished out money for a cart. Yana and I went to buy it, so the locals wouldn’t take advantage of us. We found a two-wheeled one that wasn’t that big, but we struggled to maneuver it out of the village. On the king’s road, it was easier to pull, but when everyone put their sacks and backpacks on it, only Grogg, Wolfram and Hylda could move it. The three of them alternated between pulling the cart and walking beside it to build up strength for another shift.

After half an hour, a rider came up from behind and passed us at great speed. He didn’t pay us any more mind than he did the rest of the travelers. Anyone could use the king’s road.

I began thinking about Yana’s question. What made her uniquely able to influence my emotions so strongly? It wasn’t magic, or some esoteric knowledge that granted her that power, I was fairly certain about that. Instead, I thought she possessed some quality that nobody else had. Could it be something physical? I doubted it, but considered it all the same, as I didn’t want to leave any stone unturned.

Xipil came and interrupted my train of thought, reminding me of my promise to tell him about metamorphoses. We held back, so we could talk privately. I explained to Xipil and Yana that a metamorphosis is a bodily transformation that an Ashtarite can undergo in order to serve the Mother of Snakes better. It was a most sacred experience, and the process is so taxing and extensive that mere mortals couldn’t survive. Therefore, we had to journey to the Realm of Death, for in death, Ashtar can mold our bodies as she wills. I revealed that it was through metamorphosis that I received my gifts, like improved night vision and poison resistance. As the Keeper of Death’s Door, Ashtar can send us back to the world of the living when the process completes. While we’re dead, someone must pray for us, and although I’ve participated in such prayers, I wasn’t trained to lead them; my responsibilities lie elsewhere. I also wasn’t able to explain why someone had to pray for us, it was just so obviously true. Xipil lastly wanted to know if getting one’s tongue forked was a metamorphosis. Earlier, I would have believed it was, but not since he got his tongue split; he had certainly not undergone metamorphosis.

When Xipil walked off, I studied Yana with sideways glances. We were strolling arm in arm, practically skipping along now that we weren’t encumbered with backpacks. Looking at Yana brought a smile to my face. Perhaps there was something to the thought about this being physical? She certainly was beautiful. But I had met beautiful people before, and none of them had possessed whatever it was that Yana had. Could it be her eyes? I had never seen eyes like hers before I met her, golden sunbursts circled in green. I could spend hours on end staring at them, in fact I already had, I thought with embarrassment, back at the Evening Fort. That was when she still was willing to meet my gaze. A tremendous sadness seized me, but Yana noticed, and patted my hand, and the thrill of her touch battled the sadness, pushing it away to the back of my mind, and ultimately making me forget it.

I contemplated every part of Yana while we walked, but couldn’t identify anything so out of the ordinary that it could be the source of the effect that Yana exhibited on me. I began to suspect that I should look for something in her behavior, but didn’t get far down that line of reasoning before Yana asked what we had planned regarding lodging. I told her we’d stay at an inn. Making camp by the road, or off the road for that matter, would likely be seen as “being out at night”, a heinous crime here in the king’s lands. There were enough inns along the road, and villages at regular intervals, although they were short distance from the main road.

We stopped for lunch at the side of the road. Hylda fed Grogg until he declared that he managed on his own. I shared a private smile with Yana. Grogg is so clumsy, he spills half the food down his front. While we ate, Wolfram asked Grogg to tell Hylda about the time he beat him at wrestling. Grogg claimed he had a bad day that day, and Hylda showered him with praise. Grogg was the strongest troll in all the world!

Old 12-12-2020, 01:20 AM   #130
coronatiger

Xipil and Wolfram debated what magic was. Something had apparently happened between them last night, and they picked up the debate now. From what I could gather, Xipil had done something that Wolfram didn’t like. Wolfram has made up his mind when it comes to magic, and no one can make him rethink. I wondered if that was something he had from Tiri, or if he had come to his own conclusions. I wasn’t sure what would be worst, him being so adamant despite his goddess’s teachings, or an entire order of Wolframs. I admitted to Yana that I didn’t know much about the goddess of the moon, but she said we didn’t have to worry. Neither of us were practitioners of magic.

We found an inn just before sunset. There were lots of people there, so Wolfram threatened to set up his tent outside. I walked inside with Yana to see if there were any available beds. There was one remaining room, with two beds. Wolfram, Hylda and Grogg would use tents, which I cleared with the innkeeper, and Xipil, Yana and I would share the room. When it had become dark outside, Xipil climbed out the window and up on the roof. Yana and I did our evening routine while he was away. I told Yana I needed more time to think about her question.

O Ashtar! We surrender our lives to Your coils. Take us while we sleep, or grant us another day in Your service, as You will.

3rd of Ratanu, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

I rose and stretched, asking Xipil and Yana if they’d slept well. They had, just like me. Xipil confirmed that the moon wasn’t full anymore. I hadn’t even bled much tonight. I felt like celebrating, but didn’t quite know how, as I wasn’t aware of any chapels nearby. I settled for hugging Yana. After a breakfast of traveling rations, Wolfram and Hylda packed down their tents, and then we left.

I had planned to think some more about Yana’s question while we walked, but I felt so elated that I just couldn’t stop talking. I didn’t think the others were very interested in our discussion of clothes, hair and makeup, so I held Yana back a little so we could talk privately.

At one point, I hesitated, and Yana insisted on knowing what I was thinking about. It was my red dress, the one that barely covered my hips, but which I couldn’t pull any lower unless I wanted to fall out of it on top. Yana seemed unnaturally eager to learn what I had to say about it. I explained that it was the dress I wore to disguise myself as a woman of loose morals, if I wanted to seduce an important target, for instance. Few men had much security in their bedrooms, and even if I left behind all my knives to get past their guards, I was hardly unarmed. I didn’t think Yana wanted to hear about that, so I returned to the dress. I just didn’t like it. “Why not?” Yana wanted to know. It was too vulgar, and too short to hide a knife strapped to my thigh. “I love you in that dress,” Yana declared. “Why don’t you wear it tonight? You don’t have to wear it in public, but when we’re alone…” “I’d love to wear it for you, Yana,” I said, “but I left it behind in Sam. I didn’t think I’d need it.” For some reason, the idea of seducing and possibly sleeping with anyone had turned my stomach when I was packing for this trip, so I had dropped the red dress on my bed, to be put into storage with the rest of the things I left behind. Yana blushed. “Actually, it’s in my backpack. I saw you leave it and I thought… I thought maybe I could wear it.” This time it was my turn to blush.

After a couple of hours, we arrived at a check point. Yana, Xipil, Wolfram and I put on our backpacks from the cart, since personal belongings aren’t taxed as heavily as other goods, if at all. There was a line, so Yana had plenty of time to fix Xipil’s makeup. Wolfram was restless, standing among so many people. As the line progressed, I noticed there was a tariff on weapons and armors made of metal. I patted the four knives on my back to confirm that they weren’t sliding around my waist. I wouldn’t deny having them, but if my weapons were out of sight, hidden by my cloak, few people assumed I was armed, and so they probably wouldn’t ask. Once it was our turn, I declared that the contents of the cart were the troll’s personal belongings, and our food rations. The toll takers noted “personal shipment” on our receipt. Wolfram complained about Arland having so many internal toll stations, but I paid the charge without listening to him. Once we were out of earshot, I explained that I had paid promptly because arguing with the officials could get us in trouble. If they decided to search my “medicine kit” for instance. I carried enough legitimate stuff that a cursory search shouldn’t rouse suspicion, but if they decided we were troublemakers, they might take any excuse to harass us. If the searchers knew what to look for, I had several items that it could be difficult to explain. Fortunately, I would gladly drink from any vial they suspected of containing poison.

While we were having lunch, Grogg sent Kraa out to find a gemstone. I have no idea why. Perhaps it was to be payment for Hylda? I didn’t doubt that she plied her trade with him.

The inn we reached a little before sunset was practically empty, which made Wolfram happy. We had passed another inn an hour before, and that place was full. I paid for everyone’s rooms, and the woman behind the counter stated that it was well that we got inside before the sun went down. Xipil asked me if we should buy more food here, to bring along when we left the king’s road. He wisely didn’t ask so the proprietress heard. I told him I was certain we’d be able to buy food from villages after we left the road, even though there was room on the cart. I didn’t want to pass any checkpoints with a cartload of food. That would cost us, and it might be seen as suspicious.

I didn’t bring up the red dress when Yana and I were alone, and neither did she. Her tummy wasn’t feeling all that well, and she just wanted to go to bed, as soon as we found our room. I jokingly asked if she had picked up the girl flu from me, but she didn’t think it was that. She wasn’t expecting Mother Nature’s gift to arrive for another week. It had to be something she ate, or drank. I narrowed it down further. It had to be some kind of poison, for the two of us had eaten the same things all day, and shared waterskins. If the food or water carried a disease, I would have felt it too, but poison… It had to be very weak or diluted for Yana not to feel more than a not-too-serious stomach ache. I hoped the others didn’t get sick, too.

I made Yana as comfortable as possible in the single bed, and offered to sleep on the floor, but Yana wanted me to hold her during the night. We undressed, and Yana climbed into the bed while I blew out the candle standing on the small table. I noticed my night vision had changed character. I saw just fine, even though the only light in the room came from the night sky through a tiny gap in the curtains, but the colors were all washed out.

I sat down on the side of the bed. Even muted into shades of grey, Yana was beautiful! All the troubles of the world faded into nothing when I looked at her lying there, so peaceful, so vulnerable, so trusting. She had no reason to fear; I would protect her, come what may. A tiny smile played around the edges of her mouth, and she reached out a hand. I caught it, and clasped it to my chest. “Pretty Nuur-Karif,” Yana murmured. “While I find it flattering that you can’t take your eyes off me, I really need you to hold me now.” I scrambled under the cover and enveloped her in my arms. How did she know?! She didn’t have my gift of night vision, and besides, her eyes had been closed. I decided to file away the fact for later. It had to be related to my unpredictable torrent of emotions.

Tags
campaign log