Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2022, 07:16 AM   #34
coronatiger

Default Session 82 (2022-04-24)

Beyond the door on the other side of the stone building was a light, most likely a campfire. The wind blew sand from one side to the other, so going for the campfire would indeed make us go across the direction of the wind. Xipil asked permission to scout ahead when we started walking, and he reached the campfire before the rest of us. There was water there too, but no one was thirsty.

The same figure as before waited by the fire, and now I could see that he had a jewel-encrusted saber at his side. He asked if we were ready and told us we were at least as deadly here as in the world outside. Or perhaps he meant we were at least as mortal. His choice of words made the statement ambiguous. The figure asked if he should show us the way, and when we responded yes, he dissolved into thin air. Simultaneously, it started blowing again, and I realized the wind had died down when we reached the campfire.

Now, going “across the wind” left us two options. To the left was a large building, which Grogg said smelled of water pipe. To the right was a harbor, which obviously smelled of salt water. We decided to head for the water pipe, as something similar had broken the illusion at Darvan’s crypt.

Nearing the building, we could see two guards patrolling on top of the wall. Xipil thought they looked professional. Wolfram drew his weapons, but Xipil suggested we try a non-violent approach first. “Let’s try to talk our way past them,” I offered.

There were stairs leading up the wall and when we were nearly at the top, the guards ordered us to halt. They asked what we were doing, and I casually stated that we were just out for a stroll. The guards said we couldn’t pass unless we were to attend the trial, so I beamed, “But that’s just why we’re here!” One of the guards grumbled that we should have opened with that, but they let us pass. Before us was a door, and we all got the sensation that there was a crowd inside, far too large for Wolfram to handle. The guards told us we had to hurry, so we went inside, even Wolfram.

The building had looked enormous on the outside, but the inside was even larger. We found ourselves on a gallery, overlooking a throng of people around a raised platform. I got a bad feeling that Wolfram would break down, but the mass of people was below us, and when the rest of us decided to move on, I was thankful that Wolfram opted to stay behind.

On the platform stood five people and a block for chopping heads. Several severed heads were strewn about. One of the people was the executioner. He had a large axe which he raised when he announced to the wild crowd that the main event was about to begin. “Will the darkness fall, or will the sun fall?” he asked, and I could see that two of the others on the platform were Audria and Illoro.

I prayed for guidance, if I should intervene, and You said I could impact what was about to happen, but that violence was extremely risky. When the roaring crowd quieted down, the executioner declared that the two scribes should commence the debate. I supposed these were priests of Ratanu. The last two on the platform stepped forward, but one announced that there was no need for a debate. “They can condemn themselves,” he exclaimed. “Grogg! Make a path through the crowd!” I ordered. Xipil asked what we were doing. “We will judge the judge,” I explained. Wolfram declared that he was staying on the balcony, crossbow at the ready.

As we pushed our way through the masses, Illoro spoke up. He seemed to take the blame for what Audria was accused of doing. Xipil asked if he could make an illusion to make me seem more impressive. “Give me fine clothes and make me look like myself,” I instructed. Xipil wove his spell and then Audria spoke. She too claimed to be the guilty party, that she was the one who should die. The executioner said the people should decide, which made the audience go completely rabid. Feeling a sense of urgency, I ordered Grogg to plow ahead faster. Xipil and I followed in his wake.

Suddenly, the executioner announced that only the true judge could decide, and he pointed at me. The mass of people vanished, as did the two scribes. Reaching the platform was suddenly easy. I stormed ahead and climbed up.

Both Illoro and Audria asked me to condemn them. Once again, I prayed to You. It wasn’t right for me to kill anyone myself, You said. Xipil whispered in my ear to choose the executioner. I addressed the room, as if the crowd was still there, speaking briefly but passionately of how this entire process was wrong. Taking my cue from Xipil, I announced that it was the executioner who should die.

The crowd and the scribes reappeared, the crowd roaring and the scribes laughing at me. Caught up in my own speech, I added that the scribes also had to die, just as Grogg started charging towards the executioner. I stopped the laughter of the first scribe with a knife through the neck. Actually, the knife didn’t penetrate very deeply, and it was the holy venom that slew the scribe. I breathed a sigh of relief, for if You truly had forbidden my blade to claim this man, You wouldn’t have blessed my venom with potency.

The executioner parried Grogg’s club with his axe, and Grogg dodged the counterattack. Xipil attacked the remaining scribe with his spear, and while he connected, the blow didn’t fell the scribe, who mockingly pronounced judgment over Xipil. Illoro and Audria turned upwards and downwards in prayer, respectively.

I ran over to Grogg and the executioner and went for the neck again. I missed with both blades, but distracted the executioner enough for Grogg to plant the maul in his face. The executioner flew backwards and landed on his back, his face ruined. Xipil stabbed the scribe in the arm, and the scribe finished his ritual by tearing his scroll. Ratanu blasted both of them with an invisible blow to the head. Xipil shook it off, but the scribe collapsed.

Xipil pointed at the scribe and yelled that even Ratanu had condemned him, but the crowd had already vanished. I made sure our three opponents were dead and invited Audria and Illoro to join us, but I got the sensation that they didn’t notice me. I told Xipil and Grogg that we had done what we came here for, but Wolfram shouted that we still had to deal with the demon. “Let’s move on,” I announced, and as we climbed down from the platform, it vanished along with Audria and Illoro.

We picked up Wolfram and went back outside. There was no sign of the two guards on the wall, so we hurried down the stairs and back to the campfire, still going across the direction of the wind. The figure, which I by then had determined was Darvan, reappeared looking pensive. “There isn’t much firewood left,” he stated. “No more delays!” He disintegrated again and we looked about. Behind us, where the large building had been, was now a high tower, with stars blinking above. Ahead was still the harbor. Both places were “across the wind”. Somehow, the others had determined that our mission was to kill pirates. Should we go to the harbor, then? Xipil looked longingly at the stars above the tower.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign log