Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #21
Jerron

Default Re: contemporary Swedish hunting rifle

Might I suggest she use a shotgun? The usual choice for small game would be a shotgun, not a rifle. By small, I'm talking birds, rabbits, that sort of thing. Squirrel could be either, because they sit still long enough to take aim.

Something GURPS doesn't model well, IMO, is the canceling of movement penalties with the spread of shotgun pellets. Or maybe size penalties. Anyhow, with a 7.62 bolt action, and a 12 gage shotgun, your character would be pretty much set for anything. The downside would of course be two types of ammunition and two guns to tote around, but really does anyone go for both big and small game at the same time. There are specialty guns that combine the two, and have two barrels, but with the mention of price, I'm sure you won't be wanting them. They're horribly expensive because they're mostly only found handmade.

Personally, in the US, I find the shotgun much more useful. In populated areas, we're not even allowed to use the rifle to hunt, you need to use a shotgun slug. (That's like a big bullet fired from a shotgun, instead of lots of little pellets. It has considerably less range because shotguns aren't rifled.) If I were to recommend to a person who only wanted on gun, I would recommend (IRL) a shotgun. You won't get the mountain top - to - mountain top shots because the range isn't there, but I don't live near any mountains. You will be able to hunt moose in the woods or swamp where the shots are taken at shorter ranges, anyhow, and you will be able to hunt anything from rabbits on up. The only real restriction is knowing you can't hit anything far away.

Of course, I extremely dislike GURPS modeling of shotguns, but that's another point entirely. One thing that's odd is, if you are at extreme close range (and the target has no armor whatsoever, so useful for zombie games only, pretty much) the pellets do more damage than the slugs, and it goes up if you get really small pellets. IRL, really small pellets bounce off, I've shot my sister by accident before and had nothing worse than getting yelled at over it. (I was using very small target shooting pellets, something you probably wouldn't even hunt birds with.)
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #22
Christian

Default Re: contemporary swedish hunting rifle

Thx, that definitely helps :D

Jerron, it can't be shotgun as I've already decided that she will have only one weapons skill, and that she is acustomed to go hunting with her dad (and daddy prefers larger prey). Thus rifle. Plus knowing guns (rifle) will be helpful with those beam weapons she is gonna gadgeteer, where shotguns would be ... less helpful.

Last edited by Christian; 12-05-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #23
HANS

Default Re: contemporary Swedish hunting rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
Might I suggest she use a shotgun? The usual choice for small game would be a shotgun, not a rifle. By small, I'm talking birds, rabbits, that sort of thing.
While true, my personal experience is that women often fear shotguns while they do fine with rifles.

Quote:
Something GURPS doesn't model well, IMO, is the canceling of movement penalties with the spread of shotgun pellets. Or maybe size penalties.
No. The spread of the shot pellets increases the chances to hit, even against a fleeting or small target. Exactly that happens in GURPS: depending on the exact load, you get a considerable bonus to hit. A typical Size 7.5 load against rabbits from a 12-gauge 2.75" shell holds 430 pellets, which gives a +9 bonus (High-Tech, p. 172). That goes a long way to cancel out the size and speed penalties.

Quote:
One thing that's odd is, if you are at extreme close range (and the target has no armor whatsoever, so useful for zombie games only, pretty much) the pellets do more damage than the slugs, and it goes up if you get really small pellets.
No. If you use buckshot, you do 4d+4 at point-blank range (p. B409). A slug does 5d (High-Tech, p. 166); more energetic loadings could get up to 6d from a slug.

Cheers

HANS
Old 12-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #24
PPoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Mauser-action rifle in 6.5x55mm (High-Tech: Pulp Guns 2, p. 6)
Ah yes, the Swedish "Gevär M/96" is known to be used by hunters in Sweden.
PPoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:49 AM   #25
Witchking

I agree with what combatmedic said in his first reply.

The 'cheapest' rifle that daddy could get for his little girl would likely be military surplus. I would go that path.

The Mauser Gewehr 98, as the standard service arm of the German Army millions were made. It is in High Tech and HT Weapons Table. At the end of the war various allies ended up with them. Many have been repurposed as part of foreign aid packages over the years. Some ended up in private hands immediate post-war and more as the years passed. They are available to this day.

High Tech lists the Remington 700 at $450 and the 98 at $900.

However if father is about the right age HIS father might very well have started him on a surplus Gewehr 98. In the 1950's that weapon would be a lot cheaper (relatively). Both are LC 3 and are similar in most performance respects for hunting (the 98 has a few small benefits in a combat scenario).

From my limited experience as a GM it is a nice authentic touch. To start his little girl off with what his da started him on.

Edit: My Bad...all of the above remains true but it was the standard service arm for the German Army in WW1. I was thinking of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k which was the WW2 weapon and a direct descendant of the K98. Sadly I could not find the 98K in High Tech or Pulp Guns 1+2. The K98 would still work with the addition of a generation.

'Grandpa, when he was a little boy learned to shoot with this. He taught me to shoot with it. Now it is your time.'

Last edited by Witchking; 04-20-2022 at 01:06 AM.
Witchking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:44 AM   #26
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
I agree with what combatmedic said in his first reply.

The 'cheapest' rifle that daddy could get for his little girl would likely be military surplus. I would go that path.
For a Swede, a military surplus rifle would be a Mauser m/96, not a Mauser Gew98 or Kar98k, because the latter were used by the German military, not the Swedish ...

Quote:
Sadly I could not find the 98K in High Tech or Pulp Guns 1+2. The K98 would still work with the addition of a generation
The Kar98k is in High-Tech, p. 111, and in High-Tech: Pulp Guns 2, p. 6.

Cheers

HANS
Old 04-20-2022, 05:49 AM   #27
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
For a Swede, a military surplus rifle would be a Mauser m/96, not a Mauser Gew98 or Kar98k, because the latter were used by the German military, not the Swedish ...

The Kar98k is in High-Tech, p. 111, and in High-Tech: Pulp Guns 2, p. 6.

Cheers

HANS
Thanks for the Search-Fu check. Edit: Where I goofed was I ran down the weapon charts, I should have known to go check the weapon description; which of course where it was to be found.

While Swedish ordinance would normally be the most likely...the Mauser (and locally made often under license carbon copies) turn up everywhere, possibly because the army using it was disbanded after its defeat. I assume Germany kept 100,000 rifles for the Army authorized by the Treaty of Versailles the rest were scattered to the winds.

Obviously OP's decision...was just tossing an idea onto the fire.

Last edited by Witchking; 04-20-2022 at 06:15 AM.
Witchking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:55 AM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Obviously OP's decision...was just tossing an idea onto the fire.
If the OP hasn't alresdy made a decision after thirteen years, they may need more help than this forum can be expected to provide.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:02 AM   #29
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If the OP hasn't alresdy made a decision after thirteen years, they may need more help than this forum can be expected to provide.
LoL.

I totally missed the date of the OP.

Whomever brought this to the surface is sho-nuff one powerful Necromancer.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:01 AM   #30
Phil Masters

Quote:
Whomever brought this to the surface is sho-nuff one powerful Necromancer.
No, merely a Master of Spam.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high-tech