Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-25-2022, 02:18 AM   #81
RogerBW

Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Spheroid. With an eccentric weight to make it come to rest in a consistent orientation. Like a lawn bowl.
I have some spherical d6s, bought some time in the late 1980s. As best I can tell, they have an octahedral cavity in which a ball bearing moves freely.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #82
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Spheroid. With an eccentric weight to make it come to rest in a consistent orientation. Like a lawn bowl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It's a Gömböc.
Yeah, this sounds about right. I was going to suggest a sphere with a flattened section for the same effect, but I believe this would accomplish that much more successfully.

Here's an interesting one though - technically, a coin is not a d2, it's a d3 where one side (the edge) has a much lower probability than the others (apparently for a US nickel you're looking at landing on its edge once out of 6000 throws - so you're looking at something like 5999/12,000 for Heads, 5999/12,000 for Tails, and 1/6,000 for Edge.

So... what would an actual d2 be?

Last edited by Varyon; 05-25-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:24 PM   #83
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yeah, this sounds about right. I was going to suggest a sphere with a flattened section for the same effect, but I believe this would accomplish that much more successfully.

Here's an interesting one though - technically, a coin is not a d2, it's a d3 where one side (the edge) has a much lower probability than the others (apparently for a US nickel you're looking at landing on its edge once out of 6000 throws - so you're looking at something like 5999/12,000 for Heads, 5999/12,000 for Tails, and 1/6,000 for Edge.

You just need to round (or narrow to a point) the edges of the coin so it's not stable to sit on them. Theoretically most dice could balance on edge. Or vertex for that matter - they're symmetric about them after all. In fact they're duals of each other (the vertices of a d6 or d12 are equivalent to the faces of a d8 or d20). They're just usually not flat enough for that the be a [stable] equilibrium, so they won't stay there very long in the real world. The coins usually won't either, but the edge is just wide enough for some of them it looks plausible.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:56 PM   #84
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post

Biconvex, like the lens in a standard magnifying glass.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:52 AM   #85
Daigoro

Following on, both the player and GM have a d∞ each.

In a quick contest, the GM rolls his d∞, and the player must beat the roll. Is the player better off knowing or not knowing what result he must beat before he rolls?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:55 AM   #86
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post

In a quick contest, the GM rolls his d∞, and the player must beat the roll. Is the player better off knowing or not knowing what result he must beat before he rolls?
Can the player's knowledge affect the outcome of the die roll?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:12 AM   #87
whswhs

This is a departure from the original topic of this thread, I think, but it occurs to me that three of the powers in GURPS Powers: The Weird are based on philosophical concepts: Logos, Noumena, and Void. Logos is about the idea of a primal true language; Noumena is about access to a realm that transcends the illusions and distortions of the senses, as in Plato or Kant; Void is about the idea of nonexistence as a power independent of and opposed to existence—the Manichean rather than the Boethian view of evil.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #88
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Can the player's knowledge affect the outcome of the die roll?
Surely whoever rolls second always wins. The probability space between the first roll X and infinity is always infinitely larger than the space between 0 and X, right?
Old 05-26-2022, 08:22 AM   #89
Lovewyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post

They both roll the d∞ at the same time, and then they fight using the dice as swords.
If one can't lift his die, then that's a loss.
If both can't lift them, it's a draw.

(This is not really fair since it brings reallife capabilities into rolling for stuff, but if you have something extraordinary like a d∞, then why not do something extraordinary with them?)
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:28 AM   #90
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
They both roll the d∞ at the same time, and then they fight using the dice as swords.
If one can't lift his die, then that's a loss.
If both can't lift them, it's a draw.

(This is not really fair since it brings reallife capabilities into rolling for stuff, but if you have something extraordinary like a d∞, then why not do something extraordinary with them?)
This assumes, does it not, that amongst an infinity of numbers, one of them must be "sword" ... or am I misreading?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
philosophy, sisyphus, theseus, trolley problem