Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Single-Minded: Breakdown

In my earlier thread, Undistractable, Single-Minded came up, as it was at least adjacent to the idea.

So that led me to wonder what Single-Minded would look like broken into its component pieces. There is one advantageous part, and two disadvantageous parts that are closely related. I've marked them with a '+' for adv and a '-' for disadv.

These are (quoted from p. B85):
(1) + "You get +3 to success rolls for any lengthy mental task you concentrate on to the exclusion of other activities, if the GM feels such focus would be beneficial.
(2) - "You tend to ignore everything else while obsessed (roll vs. Will to avoid this),"
(3) - "and have -5 to all rolls to notice interruptions."

How would you price each of these out separately?

On a related note, does the +3 to success rolls from (1) apply to the Will-3 roll to maintain Concentrate as well, or only to the success roll of the spell or skill or whatever that comes at the end of lengthy concentration?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: Single-Minded: Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
In my earlier thread, Undistractable, Single-Minded came up, as it was at least adjacent to the idea.

So that led me to wonder what Single-Minded would look like broken into its component pieces. There is one advantageous part, and two disadvantageous parts that are closely related. I've marked them with a '+' for adv and a '-' for disadv.

These are (quoted from p. B85):
(1) + "You get +3 to success rolls for any lengthy mental task you concentrate on to the exclusion of other activities, if the GM feels such focus would be beneficial.
(2) - "You tend to ignore everything else while obsessed (roll vs. Will to avoid this),"
(3) - "and have -5 to all rolls to notice interruptions."

How would you price each of these out separately?

On a related note, does the +3 to success rolls from (1) apply to the Will-3 roll to maintain Concentrate as well, or only to the success roll of the spell or skill or whatever that comes at the end of lengthy concentration?
I strongly believe that single-minded is different enough from other advantages that it needs the combination to work correctly.

Note that it doesn't seem to be useful in combat because the +3 is only available for long-term mental activities, which I would think of at least minutes if not hours.

I tend to use it to model the fictional (and sometimes real life) geniuses who get so wrapped up in what they're doing that they forget to eat and get surprised when they notice somebody has been knocking on their door for hours.

Perhaps it should have been a meta-advantage, but I can't see an easy way to price the +3.

Ok, here is my shot at part of it.

1. The +3 to long term activities: I would put this at +60 with a -20% limitation for only long-term activities, +48. This is based on +3 to IQ or DX. I may be wrong in that it should be based on something else.

Unfortunately I can't figure out the disadvantage parts quickly.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Anders

I'd price the +3 as analogous to High Manual Dexterity and call it 5/level or 15 points.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Seneschal

I think Single-Minded is something of a misnomer, as it describes "selective obsession" more than the ability to be stubbornly determined (i.e. your version of Undistractable, Indomitable, Unfazeable, things like that).

Essentially, it's "Controllable Obsession" [1] (controllable disadvantages are perks) with extra mechanical bonuses, so it costs more.

Talent (a lot of IQ skills) 3 (Switchable; Useless in emergencies; Side Effect (Ignore distractions, Will resist); Side Effect (-5 to perception while active)) - I have no idea how to stat these individually, but if it comes down to [4] points + [1] from above, there you have it.

Last edited by Seneschal; 07-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I'd price the +3 as analogous to High Manual Dexterity and call it 5/level or 15 points.
Versatile is 5 CP/lvl, with usually only a single level allowed. I think a Single-Minded bonus should be worth more, at least 8 CP/lvl, maybe 10. If you discount it much, you're most likely doing it based on the assumption that long-term activities aren't going to be common in your adventuring campaign.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Also, doesn't GURPs define many predatory wild animals as having Single-Minded? If yes, then that seems to me to flavour the disad in a particular direction...
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single-minded