Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Strength of a pin

For ITL 117, add one die to the pinning attempt if the enemy is stronger than you are and an additional die for each multiple of your ST it has above that.

For example ST 12 UC V master attempts to pin a 14 hex dragon of ST 100. They both have DX 14 so no advantage there. The dragon has a 8.3x ST advantage so the master needs to roll 3/DX minus five dice for the talent and plus 8 dice for the ST disadvantage or a 14 or less on 6 dice, a 6.08% chance. Remember to pin the dragon so that both gas emitting ends are pointed away from you.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: Strength of a pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
For ITL 117, add one die to the pinning attempt if the enemy is stronger than you are and an additional die for each multiple of your ST it has above that.

For example ST 12 UC V master attempts to pin a 14 hex dragon of ST 100. They both have DX 14 so no advantage there. The dragon has a 8.3x ST advantage so the master needs to roll 3/DX minus five dice for the talent and plus 8 dice for the ST disadvantage or a 14 or less on 6 dice, a 6.08% chance. Remember to pin the dragon so that both gas emitting ends are pointed away from you.
I somehow think that the percentage chance would be lower than that just because of how ridiculous such an attempted action would be.

However, this does remind me to look into the pinning action of UC character types because they are most effective in HTH.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #3
hcobb

Given the recent nerf to the dreaded dagger staff, it's worth looking into.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:00 PM   #4
phiwum

If your GM thinks a 1-hex character can pin a 14-hex dragon, then have fun. That sort of nonsense would not play at all in my game, even though it is strictly consistent with RAW.

I hesitate to ask, but what nerfing of dagger staff is this?
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:20 PM   #5
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I hesitate to ask, but what nerfing of dagger staff is this?
Hexagram #9, FAQ page 3
Old 04-12-2022, 07:36 PM   #6
phiwum

Quote:
Hexagram #9, FAQ page 3
I don't have Hexagram 9 and it's not available on Warehouse 23 yet. Any hints?
Old 04-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #7
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't have Hexagram 9 and it's not available on Warehouse 23 yet. Any hints?
Occult zap is at the same penalty as spellcasting in HTH
Old 04-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #8
phiwum

Quote:
Occult zap is at the same penalty as spellcasting in HTH
Thanks much.

You've repeatedly said that the Occult Zap is a spell, so this should have been how you were playing it all along. (Here is the most recent example of your claim that the occult attack is a spell. I should note that others --including me-- have repeatedly disagreed on this point.)

Honestly, Henry, if you say that the occult zap is a special spell so has no roll to miss when cast into an HTH scrum, how could you not figure it's also a spell when cast from within an HTH scrum?
Old 04-13-2022, 12:10 AM   #9
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
If someone proposed trying that while I was running a game, they'd have to cart me off in a straight jacket while I foamed and babbled prayers to Nyarlathotep.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:14 AM   #10
Skarg

Quote:
My house rule for pinning, even if the GM didn't just rule that were impossible, would call for an extra die per hex of size difference, and -1 per 2 ST difference, so assuming a mere ST 100 dragon with no unarmed combat talent, even with the humanoid having UC V, that would be an 11-die roll, to roll a -32 or less - which hopefully would also not qualify for any automatic success chance.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote