Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #231
The_Ryujin

Default Re: GURB- The Generic Unoriginal Roleplaying Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
This is why we need a Gun Design to complement Blaster and Laser Design. The things I hope for!

And can someone tell me just what good the UT Splat Gun is? It's a 3e relic, and was much more effective with 3e's Rapid Fire rules ensuring all its damage stacked before DR was accounted for; in 4e, that's different.
That's an odd one given how Ultra-Tech works. Given that we can shove shape charges into shotgun rounds now there is no reason that at TL 9 we can't have at lest crappy shape charges in 15mm rounds.

As it stands the 4th ed take on it seems to be a weird metal storm tech multi-barrel rocket launcher or maybe some kind of grenade launcher (It's counted as a LAW but it also has a half damage range.... Ultra-Tech... we need to have a talk heh). In GURPS: Ogre it's treated as an grenade launcher that uses compressed air to fire the rounds. This version only holds 8 rounds and given that 8 rounds weigh 8lbs (it doesn't really state if they are in a magazine or a clip or if you need to load each one individually) This version is firing a round much heftier then 15 or even 40mm.

To make them be worth a damn, a TL 9 15mm HEAT round should do 8d+1 (5) cr in + linked 1d cr ex. Getting hit by 30 of those would kinda suck heh.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:53 PM   #232
clu2415

A survey of TL8 HEAT/HEDP rounds:
40x46mm: 7d(10) + 6d [2d]
25x59mm: 4d(10) + 3d [2d-1]
20x28mm: 4d(10) + 1d
12 ga/18.5mm: 1d(10) +1d (HT103)

Also, HT’s ammunition chapter lists 20mm minimum for HEAT and HEDP. UT HEAT starts at 25mm with 15 dice of (10) and 40mm heat with 24d(10). Huh. For both of those, that’s very close to 3.5 times TL8 damage. Let’s call that a pattern! I’d say TL9 15mm HEAT might deal 4d(10).

Another solution is to just say that the splat gun is actually 25mm caliber and rework WPS from there. It’s really a low velocity dispenser for special payloads, so it would benefit from the larger caliber.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:02 PM   #233
The_Ryujin

While there's not a lot of GURPS content on YouTube, there a few channels that are dedicated to our favorite system. In this post I cover a few, help these guys grow and we might just sate the almighty algorithm enough to maybe get the word out to more people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
A survey of TL8 HEAT/HEDP rounds:
40x46mm: 7d(10) + 6d [2d]
25x59mm: 4d(10) + 3d [2d-1]
20x28mm: 4d(10) + 1d
12 ga/18.5mm: 1d(10) +1d (HT103)

Also, HT’s ammunition chapter lists 20mm minimum for HEAT and HEDP. UT HEAT starts at 25mm with 15 dice of (10) and 40mm heat with 24d(10). Huh. For both of those, that’s very close to 3.5 times TL8 damage. Let’s call that a pattern! I’d say TL9 15mm HEAT might deal 4d(10).

Another solution is to just say that the splat gun is actually 25mm caliber and rework WPS from there. It’s really a low velocity dispenser for special payloads, so it would benefit from the larger caliber.
The reason for the low damage from some of the smaller rounds is they don't use proper stand off probes or fuses and tend to be made from cheaper tech. At TL9 is can see a laser proximity fuse being common for most warheads even at that size which would allow better penetration.

But yeah, 15mm is an odd size for this weapon and in fact the 3rd edition version was 25mm if I remember correctly.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 05-23-2022, 07:35 AM   #234
clu2415

The physics of the shaped charge is what limits the smaller rounds. The penetrating power of the copper jet is proportional to the diameter of the cone of explosives. This is why the RPG-7 has its distinctive overcaliber warhead: to get a larger diameter for a more powerful effect.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #235
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
The physics of the shaped charge is what limits the smaller rounds. The penetrating power of the copper jet is proportional to the diameter of the cone of explosives. This is why the RPG-7 has its distinctive overcaliber warhead: to get a larger diameter for a more powerful effect.
Yeah, the "fist to finger effect". The wider the cone is the longer the penetration can get. But that's not what I'm talking about. It's the fact that these smaller rounds under penetrate for their size and that's because they're basically WWII era HEAT rounds.

Caliber isn't everything, density and malleability of the liner, advanced "tricks" like wave forming, and stand off distance also effect the penetrating power. Since they are such simple rounds they lack the advanced features and fusing that lets them go off at just the right distance from the target to maximize effect.

So yeah, a 15mm HEAT round is always going to do less damage then a 20mm one assuming the same level of tech but change some of these assumptions and the distance between them can change drastically.

Old 05-30-2022, 11:46 PM   #236
The_Ryujin

Everything you every wanted to know about Ultra-Tech Missiles but were to sane to ask!

Old 11-29-2022, 12:07 AM   #237
The_Ryujin

Holy crap, is that a new GURB post?! Why yes, yes it is!

In this post I cover how to kill your players with explosions, even if they're behind thick armor, while also giving you way to save them from your wrath..... for a price of course.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:52 AM   #238
The_Ryujin

A post I started like 2 years ago, forgot about till Enraged Eggplant made a youtube video about it and finally finished is here!

Welp, it's time to strike another weapon that wasn't covered in the Blaster and Laser Deign System off the list. In this post I cover the often neglected Microwave Weapons. Poorly equiped civilians and rombas will never be a threat again!

Old 04-20-2023, 12:03 PM   #239
The_Ryujin

Spoiler Warning: I love me some Cyberpunk and the works of Masamune Shirow played a big part in this.

In today's post I look over the main firearm used used by the crack forces of Security Section 9.... no not the one that looks like the FAMAS (!) but the one that started it all: The Seburo C-25A.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:09 PM   #240
The_Ryujin

In this post I boldly go to a topic I never covered before: Ultra-Tech melee!

Click the link to check out my try at updating the rules for vibroblades to something a little more fleshed out.

Tags
blog, blogs, gurps day