Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 09-28-2022, 03:02 AM   #1
owenmp

Default 1985 Autoduel CRPG on Warehouse 23

SJ Games has resurrected Autoduel, the only Official and SJ Games-Authorized Car Wars video game

I believe a quote from the 1987 movie RoboCop applies to this apocawesome news. :o)

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
RoboCop

Thank you SJ Games!

Warehouse 23 - Autoduel CRPG
Lord British and Chuckles
Origin Systems, Inc.
Steve Jackson Games
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/autoduel

$1.00

Contents
ZIP containing a Windows EXE file, data files, and documentation.
File Size 56.3 MB ZIP
Publisher Steve Jackson Games
Stock Number SJG1186
This is a digital file.

Drive Like Yesterday's Tomorrow!

It's a literal blast from the past! The classic Autoduel computer game from the 1980s is back for modern machines. Create a duellist, build the car of your dreams (or at least budget), and hit the open roads in search of fame and fortune . . . or just to stay alive!

This software – designed for Windows 10 and above – uses the data files of the original release as its foundation. Its system requirements are relatively modest, but if you're running this on a significantly underpowered machine, it may struggle. Note that this is an archival release; although it should be playable, it will likely be quite buggy. Drive at your own risk!

Autoduel, Car Wars, AADA, AADA logo, the pyramid logo, and the names of all products published by Steve Jackson Games Incorporated are trademarks or registered trademarks of Steve Jackson Games Incorporated, or used under license. Autoduel is copyright © 1985, 2022 by Steve Jackson Games Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: 1985 Autoduel CRPG on Warehouse 23

It was a fairly clunky game (of it's time) but $1 is a bargain - even with the current £:$ exchange rate :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
43Supporter

I wouldn't -- the controls were rubbish, and I found it hilarious one could build a car without a driver.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:37 AM   #4
swordtart

Played it a few times last night. AM Night with a basic car is a nightmare!!!

I have found the following guide which contains spoilers but might help.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/581...uel/faqs/67794

To be honest I had a copy that came with a computer I bought second hand that might have been a bootleg. If nothing else I can now play it legally.

I suspect I'll be cheating and backing up the save game and maybe hex-editing it to make the early game a bit less "grindy". Not everyone wants a Rags to Riches campaign with the many deaths on the way.

EDIT:
Joy. Just looked at the save game and you don't even need a hex editor, it is all in text. No need to grind Atlantic City!!! Plus it looks like you can edit the AM Night car and put your own design in directly, edit your progress in championships etc. This is very cool as you can skip the bits you find less enjoyable.

This is going to be good :)

EDIT:
Well you can definitely edit stuff, but it doesn't prevent the arena events from being too hard. I am not even convinced the opponents can be killed, they seem to have infinite ammunition and whilst AM Night is supposed to be just Killer Karts they can apparently take dozens of hits from an MG. Not sure the Mine Dropper is working either.

Maybe all the AM night cars use the save game profile ones. I'll test by setting the "Installed Armour" to zero but the Current Armour to higher (which should only affect my vehicle). Not sure if there is any error trapping in there.

I don't see this as cheating since all the opponents only target you and not each other.

We really need a MOD community for this :)

Last edited by swordtart; 09-29-2022 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Just Looked and found gold - fools gold
Old 09-29-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
swordtart

Hmm.

Not so much Buggy as non-functional.

I can't get it to recognise the listed CTRL Commands to access the stats (other than CTRL T which brings up Cargo).

When in the arena damage goes to random locations (when the enemy are all in front they keep hitting my rear armour).

You get no title screen with the cheesy tune.

The RADAR screen doesn't populate, neither does the bar at the bottom (speed?).

The ammo counter doesn't change as you fire shots, only when you swap weapons.

Pressing an arrow key once behaves like you are holding it down (i.e. you keep accelerating in that direction).

There doesn't seem to be any error trapping in the weapons shop as I was able to add 4 lasers, 2AT gun and an MG to my vehicle. Regardless of whether the 1/3 space rule is enforced, the maximum space rule should be.

If you chose mouse controls it doesn't seem to do anything.

Plus all the issues in the above post.

I have checked online videos of the original game (PC version) so these appear to be consequences of the Unity port.

Was this tested?

Last edited by swordtart; 09-29-2022 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:47 PM   #6
Nestyr

So, on PC, when using the mouse, you need to left-click once, to start moving.

If you click again, you get a line of dots that lasts for a second or so, then it disappears. No idea if this is the MG firing, or not, as it does not seem to do any damage.

Right-clicking does not appear to do anything (and we wont talk about the scroll button - those things didnt exist back then).

Tried to use my X-Box joystick, but it was not recognised.

Any further ideas welcomed...
Nestyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:28 PM   #7
Mattaui

Well good to know I wasn't the only one that was getting instakilled in the Amateur Night arena. Seems like the worst part is the steering.

I had such fond memories of this playing it decades ago on my IBM PCjr, though I remembered even then things were pretty tricky so I did a lot of save scumming.

Maybe I'll just engage in some text editing and go for a brief spin in the world rather than struggle with it too much. Sure would love some sort of updated version of this, would be a blast.
Mattaui is offline   Reply With Quote