Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #31
SCAR

Default Re: The 2010 e23 Releases and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Indeed... once the final draft is submitted, it needs to be reviewed, then edited. Once it's edited, it needs to be laid out as a final PDF. (At some point there, we need to get art as well.) Then that PDF needs to be reviewed as well, both for any problems relating to the layout and to allow for a fresh set of eyes for the GURPS reviewers to work their mojo; this is what most of us think of as the "final review process." (Once it's passed this final review process, there's actually another review process -- this is the equivalent of checking bluelines on a print product.)

The brief glimpse above into a document's life after its final draft is submitted is, in fact, one of the reasons I don't participate too much in speculation about when supplements will be released; any of the steps above can (and have!) result in a project being delayed, and there is no set period between "final draft submitted" and "final PDF is ready to upload once we click the button." I've honestly seen that process take a couple of weeks (rarely), but I've also seen it take years (rarely as well -- thankfully!). I'd much rather you all be pleasantly surprised when an unknown-but-interesting project makes its glorious debut, instead of wondering about why an anticipated project seems like it's in limbo.

(Having said that, I know that it can be fun as a fan to speculate about what's coming up -- but I'm also giving you a glimpse into the e23 Manager's mindset, and why I'm usually mum about most projects.)

I now leave you to your regularly scheduled speculation, already in progress. :-)
Illuminating, Thanks.

And just to prove nothing is definite, back in April, Kromm said on his weekly update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm LJ
I reviewed the rough PDF of GURPS Magic: Plant Spells, by Scott Maykrantz. Scott is now crunching over my questions. This shouldn't delay things much, if at all. Hopefully, it'll still make April!
And we haven't seen it yet. (Due to some fiddly last minute questions, I believe).
Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #32
Daeglan

Well yeah. I figured it was highly variable. i was curious what the average is.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #33
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeglan View Post
how long does final review take?
It varies considerably, but the important thing to note is that "final review" means that the product is really, really close to being released. Hence the term "final". Tactical Shooting is still being edited,, which is something that happens early in the process, not late. (The notion of it being done in time for July 15th is absolutely hilarious, for example.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #34
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
It varies considerably, but the important thing to note is that "final review" means that the product is really, really close to being released.
To contradict my esteemed colleague somewhat, I note that passing final review means a product could be close to release. I can easily envision a day when we have a number of projects advanced enough in the queue that we keep some in reserve once they pass final review. Presently there's not much gap between when most projects pass final review and when they're released, but if I'm wildly successful at my job, that may not always be true. (It's not like the folks who made the Harry Potter books were feverishly working on each manuscript two weeks before each scheduled ship date . . .)
Old 06-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #35
Daeglan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
It varies considerably, but the important thing to note is that "final review" means that the product is really, really close to being released. Hence the term "final". Tactical Shooting is still being edited,, which is something that happens early in the process, not late. (The notion of it being done in time for July 15th is absolutely hilarious, for example.)
So July 16th then :P lol
Old 06-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #36
jalapeno_dude
e23 Speculator

Thanks for all of the interesting info. OP has been edited.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #37
PK

Sorry, poor wording choice. I should've said, "Final review means that the product is in a nearly-finalized state -- it's very close to being release-worthy." That's what I was trying to get across -- the final review isn't something that happens when someone turns in a draft, final or otherwise!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #38
jalapeno_dude
e23 Speculator

Two classic releases this week. The Crusades rough PDF was reviewed two weeks ago, so we'll probably see it next week. In other news, Kromm's working on editing the Horror final draft (!).
Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #39
jalapeno_dude
e23 Speculator

Two more classic releases this week; no Crusades, but maybe [i]Middle Ages 1[/url] is supposed to prepare us for it (in two weeks, since Pyramid is next week)?

Lots of news to report. Matt Riggsby's latest PDF has a name, GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality, and the rough PDF already exists, so we should see that within a month or two. Editing is complete on Transhuman Mysteries, and three final drafts were received: GURPS Reign of Steel: Will to Live by Roger Burton West, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Monsters 1 by Kromm and Peter Dell'Orto, and GURPS Social Engineering by Bill Stoddard. Finally, the Horror edit has commenced and is at the 9% mark.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #40
Alacrity Fitzhugh

Really looking forward to Horror...
Closed Thread