Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2005, 08:15 PM   #11
vitruvian

Default Re: More powers excerpts

Quote:
Great! Now his ST score is a mere 1.4 billion.
Not once you've got Powers.

I don't think it's giving away any trade secrets that there's now a way to buy a logarithmic progression for lifted weight, or even that it's a logarithmic progression you are already familiar with from GURPS.... but I will say no more.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #12
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
Not once you've got Powers.

I don't think it's giving away any trade secrets that there's now a way to buy a logarithmic progression for lifted weight, or even that it's a logarithmic progression you are already familiar with from GURPS.... but I will say no more.
Unfortunately, having the book and checked the ahem, familiar source, I note that the high end goes linear instead of keeping the logarithmic progression. Picking up Skyscrapers isn't difficult, but moving galaxies onehanded may cost a bit.

Mind you, except for Galaxy slapping powerful guys, mumblety mumble weight per point of ST is pretty damned good. Treating something like the Shuttle as an American football and tossing it into orbit comes in well under 1000 CP. Some of the established Supers of comics are still going to be off the scale however.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:42 AM   #13
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
Unfortunately, having the book and checked the ahem, familiar source, I note that the high end goes linear instead of keeping the logarithmic progression. Picking up Skyscrapers isn't difficult, but moving galaxies onehanded may cost a bit.

Mind you, except for Galaxy slapping powerful guys, mumblety mumble weight per point of ST is pretty damned good. Treating something like the Shuttle as an American football and tossing it into orbit comes in well under 1000 CP. Some of the established Supers of comics are still going to be off the scale however.
Only because the damnable writers insist on an "arms race" of constantly upping the strength of any archtypical supers. Superman has gone from being able to lift a train to being able to drop-kick a planet into another solar system, then finally got scaled back to being able to lift mountains for the longest time.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to create a character strong enough to literally smash the earth into little pieces with his fists. When you get to that scale, just play Nobilis for crissakes.

(BTW, the scale doesn't remain linear -- that would imply a +X ST per +X cp progression. It is instead a *X ST per +X cp, which is about as fair as you can get without being nutty. Slap enough limitations on there to get the price down a bit, and you're still talking about a stone cold bargain.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:51 AM   #14
Michael Hopcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
There is absolutely no need whatsoever to create a character strong enough to literally smash the earth into little pieces with his fists.
And if someone had clued Akira Toriyama in to that fact, anime fandom would have a lot fewer total jerky morons in it.

Alsothough if you wanted to game in the DBZ universe, you would eventually run into characters at that approximate level of power, although they are more likely to use chi than their fists to destroy planets. of course, if you wanted to game in the DBZ universe, may I recommend Toon with a few modifications?
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:09 AM   #15
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Only because the damnable writers insist on an "arms race" of constantly upping the strength of any archtypical supers. Superman has gone from being able to lift a train to being able to drop-kick a planet into another solar system, then finally got scaled back to being able to lift mountains for the longest time.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to create a character strong enough to literally smash the earth into little pieces with his fists. When you get to that scale, just play Nobilis for crissakes.

(BTW, the scale doesn't remain linear -- that would imply a +X ST per +X cp progression. It is instead a *X ST per +X cp, which is about as fair as you can get without being nutty. Slap enough limitations on there to get the price down a bit, and you're still talking about a stone cold bargain.)
Yes there is. There will ALWAYS be guys who argue on behalf of one of several SHRPGs who will pounce on the lack of an infinite Log curve as an excuse to slam GURPS.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:58 AM   #16
Akahige
Banned

Ok, now you've got me worried... It sounds like another arbitrary cap to ruin an otherwise-consistent rules option. Is this going to turn into one of those instances where GMs have to break the official rules to get the results they want? Why deliberately hamstring a super-strength option (unless it's not actually optional)?

Now I'm afraid to by the book I've been looking forward to!!!

Last edited by Akahige; 11-24-2005 at 08:03 AM.
Akahige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:39 AM   #17
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Now that people actually have the book
What? Is Powers out and nobody told me?
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #18
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
What? Is Powers out and nobody told me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
Just to be specific, I picked it up at the SJ booth at GenCon Socal a little before five PM.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=17
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #19
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahige
Ok, now you've got me worried... It sounds like another arbitrary cap to ruin an otherwise-consistent rules option. Is this going to turn into one of those instances where GMs have to break the official rules to get the results they want? Why deliberately hamstring a super-strength option (unless it's not actually optional)?

Now I'm afraid to by the book I've been looking forward to!!!
There is no "arbitrary cap." The option in question remains logarithmic to infinity. Somebody here misread the relevant table.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #20
Stephane_Theriault

Quote:
Yes! Defending With Powers is ubercool... too bad it only shows Power Dodge and Power Parry, but catching the tail end of the Richochet rules is a plus.

(Now that people actually have the book, I feel no need to avoid admitting to having playtested it, so I can just rejoice in the glee of what a freaking cool book this is. You know how cool you think Powers is? It's cooler. Seriously. You so need this book.)
Did you already received your comp copy? Lucky guy. :) But I agree it rocks. We just started using it both in Sean's and my own Primal: TNG campaigns.

I'll probably post the six Powers we've just made, me and my players, just as examples. Here's their short description:

- Energokinesis (Energy Manipulation - psi)
- Power of the Rock (control of molecular density of the human body - chi)
- Enthrallment (or how to influence others - chi)
- The Quick and the Slow (fine control over all muscles used in movement - psi)
- Obtenetration (power over shadows - magic)
- Great Realm of the Infiltrator (or how to go wherever you want to go, without being seen - magic)
Stephane_Theriault is offline   Reply With Quote