Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #11
weby

Default Re: Character Advancement

I think that my players in the previous GURPS campaign might disagree with the "No character advancement".

The campaign was a fantasy "From starting bumbling heroes to minor gods"

They started at 100 points and ended up above 5000 points during the campaign consisting of 411 sessions and about 3300 hours of play time.

I gave out a base of 1 point/play hour and an additional bonus for completing campaign and character objectives. The bonuses amounted to about +50% to the total in the long run.

You can read the basic rundown of the progress and such in: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169711
Old 05-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #12
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayparson View Post
While I'm sure some reading this may want to snap off a "git guud scrub" or a "if you don't like GURPS gtfo", I was hoping someone may have a homebrew solution, or any other advice I can use to get my group excited about GURPS again?
If the problem is that their characters don't grow fast enough you can (a) simply assign whatever traits are suitable and justifiable based on the character's experiences during play or (b) give them whatever amount of points y'all find generates the expected growth speed. If (b), and the group is expecting something like D&D's growth speed, I'd suggest starting out by multiplying the default point awards by 5 and then adjusting from there to suit your group's taste.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #13
Black Leviathan

GURPS advancement is slow. It doesn't feature rapid rises to power like D&D. Instead it creates a more realistic growth for a person. When I say "Realistic" I don't mean to say that your desire for faster character growth is bad or wrong, just that exceeding that recommended CP per game will increasingly make character development make less sense. Regardless of how much CP you hand out, most advantages are a reflection of aptitude rather than advancement and really shouldn't be "learned".

If your players want big increases, a good solution might be to just hand them cool powers. Give them equipment that makes them powerful or let them get strange abilities through wishes or cosmic empowerment.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
GURPS advancement is slow. It doesn't feature rapid rises to power like D&D. Instead it creates a more realistic growth for a person. When I say "Realistic" I don't mean to say that your desire for faster character growth is bad or wrong, just that exceeding that recommended CP per game will increasingly make character development make less sense. Regardless of how much CP you hand out, most advantages are a reflection of aptitude rather than advancement and really shouldn't be "learned".
Maybe this is true to reality. Maybe. But it's not true to lots of gaming worlds and a number of fictional ones. And there's absolutely nothing about GURPS that compels you hew to that maybe-realistic theory of growth.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #15
mehrkat

an alternative rule that i've allowed in my game that creates an advancement is that players can reformat points to increase attributes.

So say a character has 10 4 point intelligence skills they can pull 2 points from each of them to make 20 points and add a point of IQ. The points pulled must not lower any skill but then IQ is now one point higher and all skills are recalculated. I do that in essentially all games that starts at a low point level.

Tags
bonus points, character advancement