Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2014, 04:23 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
No I know, but we weren't discussing rear hex and parry, but side hex and wild swings. We might be now, and that's fine but that's why I asked have we broadened it out, and what have we broadened it out too ;-)
Yeah, I seem to be answering separate issues in different approaches without clear markers. Sorry.

Quote:
Yep, and of course if he smart the target will turn to face you straight on when he moves, so even if you do make it a committed attack you can't move two hexes to his side facing and move into his hex to grapple in CC.
But how does he do that?

Turn U1: Wait.
Turn K1: Step into Reach 1, make any facing adjustment if necessary.
* U's Wait is triggered. U1 makes two steps into K's front-left hex then rear-left one, maybe Feints.
* interrupt complete, K1 continues, being forced to attack as a Wild Swing or with a left-hand punch/kick.
Turn U2: do whatever is appropriate. K will defend if possible.
Turn K2: K can now turn, unless grappled. If grappled, K has all sorts of problems.

Quote:
True but no attack either, you possibly get bonuses on the next one, but I'm not seeing how feint get you closer to grappling with side hex bonuses
The side-hex defence penalty is guaranteed, and it stacks with Feints.
(Now, if you somehow managed to start in a Rear Hex, Feint is irrelevant and the opponent can't defend at all; but you're still in a Side-Rear Hex when your turn starts, so Runaround applies.)
The Feint is there largely to prevent a knife cut to the grappling arm.

Quote:
You can step with a feint of course, but then your target has an extra chance to change his facing as well.
How? You Feint on his turn after his Step is spent.

Quote:
Its not but considering we're in thread about unarmed vs. knife, it it was suggested that staying away from, the knife hand while using defensive arm locks, it's a bit difficult to avoid it. Even if we forget the defensive arm lock, unless we're talking about SM+1 or kicking we're still taking about moving into CC.

Four levels of arm lock is indeed always good!
I'm actually considering tactics for a similar situation, but with both skills lower. I'm seriously considering whether I want to raise Arm Lock above default, because those [4] also provide more different benefits: +½ Parry, +1 to Power Grappling benefits (which basically means GripST), and +1 to many other techniques like Choke Hold and Breakfall.

Arm Lock is cool for its +4 to resist Breaking Free and cumulative -1 to Break Free, which is important against an armed opponent. I'm also tempted by the potential use as two levels of Deceptive Attack.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 12-12-2014 at 06:27 AM.
vicky_molokh is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, technical grapping, technical grappling