Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-24-2022, 09:40 AM   #1
tomc

Default Using Two Shields at Once

How do you reconcile Two Weapon talent (ITL p41) with Shield Expertise (ITL 39) when using two shields at once?

Here's what I do:

1) Double the -1DX penalty for attackers in the front hexes to -2DX.

2) Each shield stops an extra hit.

3) The shield expert can attack with one or both shields, each doing damage as a club.

4) A shield used to attack stops no hits that turn.

5) A shield used to attack doesn't give the -1DX penalty to attackers from the front.

6) Shield Rush is unchanged. The second shield makes no difference, same as any other weapon.

So we have a Shield Expert:

ST 12, DX 14(13), IQ 11, MA 10
Talents: Two Weapons(2), Shield(1), Shield Expertise(2), Toughness(2)
Spiked Shield (2H/A)
Large Shield (3H/A)
Toughness (1H/A)
Total: 6H/A

Note: Any attack from the front hexes is at -2DX for Shield Expertise twice.

Combat Options:
Defend (attacker rolls 4 dice at -2DX for Shield Expertise twice)
Shield Rush Spiked Shield (does 1d-2 damage, target at -2DX to stay afoot)
Shield Rush Large Shield (target at -2DX to stay afoot)
Attack w/Spiked Shield (as club, 1d-2 for ST 12)
Attack w/Large Shield (as club, 1d-2 for ST 12)
Attack w/Both (-4 DX for second attack)

Put him in chain mail and have him defend, and he stops 9H/A while his attackers are rolling 4 dice at -2DX.

Give him two tower shields (4H/A each) with chain mail and toughness he's a super-munchkin who stops 12H/A. (I think two tower shields is a bit much unless he's ST 16+ or so.)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:24 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Using Two Shields at Once

I would not let Two Weapons work with two shields.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #3
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I would not let Two Weapons work with two shields.
That would probably be the easiest solution. If one did allow it, I would say that the Shield Expertise couldn't stack for two shields via Two Weapons Talents unless used in a Shield Rush, a Shield is not a Weapon.

Under normal circumstances, Shield Expertise stacks with other weapons expertise like fencing. But having it stack with itself via Two Weapons Talents I believe to be negated by the fact that they are not weapons.

Now, If one shield is in use as a shield and the other used for Shield Rush attacks, then that may be workable but the Shield Expertise bonuses would not stack. One is a shield and one is a weapon.

That's my take on it anyway.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #4
timm meyers

I love unconventional character builds and hate power builds. A fun game is always a balance of advantages and disadvantages. That is why I think TFT is a superior system and does well in this area.
2 wea. + shield expert is full of "character". The priesthood of defense, or the literal minded bodyguard that has sought the skills to be the perfect protector and let not a single drop of blood be spilled. OR can be conceived to fulfill the dream of a tank-o-doom that can never be touched.
An honest read of the rules from my viewpoint leaves you with the following when armed with 2 shields.

can wield 2 shields effectively = deflection of hits from both shields to front at +1 hit per shield.
Attacker is -1DX when attacking from front. (this does not stack any more than weapon expert does when wielding 2 swords)
May do 2 "rush" attacks on the same target (second attack always at -4 DX). Alternatively, could do 1 rush on 2 separate enemies if both are in their front hex, again the 2nd rush is -4 DX.

Again, I think a very intriguing build that my weirdness would probably enjoy playing. Spike shields would be my only hope of being a damage dealer but it would be great fun to team up with a polearm user etc. and try to be the ultimate shield maiden/guardian. The potential of some high strength and extra armor combined with toughness would make him/her a tough nut to crack.
I wonder if you could convince 1 or 2 other players to join the brotherhood and create a true "shieldwall". That could be fun marching down the dungeon halls shoulder to shoulder.....
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #5
Shostak

Shield size should be taken into consideration. I don't see how someone is going to be particularly effective with two large shields--they are just too big.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:56 PM   #6
leorasy89

Defensive spells can be divided into three categories: elemental, mental, and physical. Elemental spells are those that affect the environment in some way. basketbros
leorasy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:22 AM   #7
Chris Rice

I don’t think using two shields would be effective in most situations as they would just get in each other’s way. Octopi, being larger and with more arms, are a different story…
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:30 AM   #8
Ken Green

Or you could connect two wall shields together with hinges and shape them so they're concave instead of convex in order to enclose your enemy.
Ken Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:11 AM   #9
David Bofinger

A two-handed shield sounds a lot more practical. There's some discussion of these at https://www.quora.com/Is-there-such-...-handed-shield. Ignore the duelling shields, you're looking more at a more portable variant of a pavise or their Assyrian equivalents. I think either a duelling shield or a pavise might be an interesting silly thing to have in TFT, though I find it hard to imagine a PC deciding to carry them.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:46 AM   #10
David Bofinger

Something like: Duelling shield (ST 11, 25 lbs(!), $70) can be used offensively (Attack action, damage 2d-1, stops 1 hit, -1 DX) or defensively (Defend action, stops 3 hits).
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote