Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Johan Larson

Default Social Engineering

Might enough sweet-talk and cheap whiskey persuade Bill Stoddard to reveal some details about his upcoming GURPS book, "Social Engineering"?
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Akicita

Default Re: Social Engineering

If we could apply Social Engineering so effectively to start with, why would we need the book?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Johan Larson

So we can do without the whiskey?
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Astromancer

If the book is what it sounds like, it would be rules for cultures and ecconomies. Think GURPS :Alpha Centauri's society/ecconomics rules only far more flexible and far better linked to real world knowlege and scholarship. It would let you give different groups and societies interesting flavors, edges, and weaknesses.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
whswhs

You need to know your subject. Offering me anything with alcohol is good for about -3 to reaction or influence rolls.

I really, seriously, can't talk about either the length or the topics of Social Engineering; those are part of my contract with SJ Games. I'm willing to talk about why I think I'm a suitable person to write such a book, if that has any interest for you. Or I'm willing to watch as you discuss what you would want in a book on social position, reactions and influence rolls, and related topics, and maybe steal topics for the revision.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
You need to know your subject. Offering me anything with alcohol is good for about -3 to reaction or influence rolls.

Bill Stoddard
If I offer catnip before you lord, Thy Cat?

CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE!!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
lexington

Quote:

I really, seriously, can't talk about either the length or the topics of Social Engineering; those are part of my contract with SJ Games. I'm willing to talk about why I think I'm a suitable person to write such a book, if that has any interest for you. Or I'm willing to watch as you discuss what you would want in a book on social position, reactions and influence rolls, and related topics, and maybe steal topics for the revision.

Bill Stoddard
Can you at least confirm that it has something to do with social engineering?
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
... I'm willing to talk about why I think I'm a suitable person to write such a book, if that has any interest for you....
Bill Stoddard
That sounds interesting to me. I think I've read that you have problems with certain forms of social interaction like humor. Am I wrong in this memory?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Kymage

Quote:

Bill Stoddard
Okay Bill, so tell us why you think you're a suitable person to write "Social Engineering" for GURPS
Kymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymage View Post
Okay Bill, so tell us why you think you're a suitable person to write "Social Engineering" for GURPS
Throwing my name with the lot that want to know "why."

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
social engineering